• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** English Football Season 2019-20

cpr

International Coach
For all the talk of Owen's awful punditry, are we overlooking how terrible Paul Ince is? His claim that Ighalo wouldn't have scored last night if there was a crowd....

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
There's no chance Euro 2020 goes ahead IMO. There's not the room now with postponements to complete the UEFA club competitions in enough time. The calendar is far too tight and there's absolutely no wiggle room.
It being held in multiple nations also means massive amounts of travel, so yeah, I reckon it's in the can. Even with this being the case though, I still can't see postponing domestic leagues etc. as a viable option. Anything other than a short postponement (which is very unlikely, I should imagine) will be massively disruptive in the long term to the point it just isn't worth the candle.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
There we go. No prem games for nearly a month.

Good for Spurs. Might mean they get Kane and Son back for a few games.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Leaving things as they are absolutely not an option. Our fixtures were horrendous after Xmas and now we are into the easier ones ffs.

Euros need binning, or postponing a year. If the season can get started again by April/May, use the space vacated by the Euros to finish this one off.

Can all European competitions,internationals and all cups except the FA Cup next season and use the time to facilitate a shorter season. Or run some whacky reduced season next time out that allows it to be shorter. I DGAF. Whatever. Just leave us in L1.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It being held in multiple nations also means massive amounts of travel, so yeah, I reckon it's in the can. Even with this being the case though, I still can't see postponing domestic leagues etc. as a viable option. Anything other than a short postponement (which is very unlikely, I should imagine) will be massively disruptive in the long term to the point it just isn't worth the candle.
It'll be delayed for now and revisited in a month. The UK government position seems to be that people will tire of a prolonged economy-wide shutdown and at a certain point the costs will start to outweigh the benefits, and I tend to agree.

IMO Euro 2020 delayed until 2021 and a domestic season lasting until the start of July is the most likely outcome. Though I definitely wouldn't rule out everything being cancelled.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Season running into July will cause issues in the EFL, player contracts expire on 30th June generally and as you go down the leagues a high percentage of players will only be on one year deals, or longer one that expire.

Uppercut

Season running into July will cause issues in the EFL, player contracts expire on 30th June generally and as you go down the leagues a high percentage of players will only be on one year deals, or longer one that expire.
Yeah I can think of a lot of problems like these, but I don't think they're insurmountable.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Agreed.

I think they will have to finish the season one way or another. Too many lawsuits otherwise.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Bundesliga have proposed a situation where they promote sides currently in promotion spots but don't relegate anyone. Can then have a longer 20/21 season with a bigger top division (all the tiers below in the pyramid would stay the same size). They have a bit of extra breathing room with only 18 teams in the top division and no league cup though.

flibbertyjibber

Agreed.

I think they will have to finish the season one way or another. Too many lawsuits otherwise.
You lot may be better having it scrapped despite the form boost of late.

For me I don't mind either way, if it all scrapped they have a good reason but if they try to finish it then I understand why. It all depends what happens in the next few weeks I guess. We will know more in April as to whether it is feasible to finish it or not.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
If the forecast for the virus to peak in 10-14 weeks is accurate then the season not being finished looks a very distinct possibility. Potentially no more games played until mid-to-late June in that case.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Bundesliga have proposed a situation where they promote sides currently in promotion spots but don't relegate anyone. Can then have a longer 20/21 season with a bigger top division (all the tiers below in the pyramid would stay the same size). They have a bit of extra breathing room with only 18 teams in the top division and no league cup though.
Yeah absolute maximum number of domestic games a Bundesliga side can play is 42 vs 52/53 for a Premier League side.

Not including the Super Cup/Community shield in that scenario and the only way to get to 42 is to finish 16th and play in the playoffs. Every other team will play a max of 40 games.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
You lot may be better having it scrapped despite the form boost of late.

For me I don't mind either way, if it all scrapped they have a good reason but if they try to finish it then I understand why. It all depends what happens in the next few weeks I guess. We will know more in April as to whether it is feasible to finish it or not.
I'm definitely against it being scrapped. Would surely be a legal minefield?

flibbertyjibber

I'm definitely against it being scrapped. Would surely be a legal minefield?
I am but realistically when can they fit it in. The minefield of players contracts running out in July and all that will soon enter the equation should the season get delayed again.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
You can't take the positions as they are. Yes I'm biased but we just lost a stack of games to the top sides and now we have easier fixtures are winning again. I've no idea really because I'm also not in favour of scrapping it