• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2013-14

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If Liverpool could do it, they can too i guess. Though this was sort of a strange season.
Spurs don't have Suarez/Sturridge/Gerrard/Henderson though

Okay granted, the form of at least two of them was unexpected, so in theory some Spurs player could rise to the occasion. But let's be honest. They won't.

Anyway. grecian/Pickup (again) - Elliot Richards. Any good?

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Spurs don't have Suarez/Sturridge/Gerrard/Henderson though

Okay granted, the form of at least two of them was unexpected, so in theory some Spurs player could rise to the occasion. But let's be honest. They won't.

Anyway. grecian/Pickup (again) - Elliot Richards. Any good?
Wah, what's happened to Eliot Richards, I'll assume you've signed him.

Well he arguably kept us up, pretty quick, runs at people, works hard, but not quite sure what his position is really. Doesn't quite "seem" a natural goal-scorer.

I'm not that gutted we haven't got him, because I think we have a few youngsters that are similar, but reckon he could be okay for you, without being sensational.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Clubs never learn do they? Though I assume most managers push for long deals so they can get massive payouts when they get sacked.
Double edged sword though really. If you give a manager a contract that's less than 3 years it gives the impression you're expecting a disaster and that you anticipate sacking him sometime not too far in the future. E.g. Sherwood and Di Matteo were both given 2 year deals at Spurs and Chelsea, and everyone knew what the score was there.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I was really impressed with what Richards offered in the second half of the season after coming from Bristol Rovers: certainly much more of a work-rate than Gow who went in the opposite direction. Did an excellent job as a support striker and chipped in with some tremendously important goals (not least the winner at Home Park).

I would have liked him to stay, but I suppose grecian is right that we have several other home-grown boys who can do a similar job, but he was an important cog in the side (and Sir Rob clearly rated his efforts) though I guess the fact that you've put a two-year deal on the table would have made the difference.

grecian

I was really impressed with what Richards offered in the second half of the season after coming from Bristol Rovers: certainly much more of a work-rate than Gow who went in the opposite direction. Did an excellent job as a support striker and chipped in with some tremendously important goals (not least the winner at Home Park).

I would have liked him to stay, but I suppose grecian is right that we have several other home-grown boys who can do a similar job, but he was an important cog in the side (and Sir Rob clearly rated his efforts) though I guess the fact that you've put a two-year deal on the table would have made the difference.
Yep all this, plus I'd imagine if were to get a striker it would be one that could offer us an aerial threat. Nichols, Reid, Jay, Watkin, and Wheeler played up front last match. Not a lot of height from what little I've seen of them.

Eds

International Debutant
Didn't Danny boy say he fancied doing acting after he finished his footy career? Maybe can that idea.

duffer

So Flappy is gone to Swansea and De Gea is tapping up Cesc. I hear we have a buy back clause. Would love him back.

grecian

In answer to GIMP's next question. Matty Gill was a quality player, past his best now though. It all looks though that you'll be playing a passing game, don't look at Sir Rob and think "gnarled old centre-half, he'll want direct football". Nah he was a decent midf-fielder with us, and him, Gill and Harley were supreme in contrasting ways.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
So do any of the quality Southampton players love Pochettino enough to make the move to Tottenham?

Lamela out Lallana in would be ideal.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah he's been injured for the entire season. It's probably the worst possible time to sell him in terms of getting a decent price.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
In answer to GIMP's next question. Matty Gill was a quality player, past his best now though. It all looks though that you'll be playing a passing game, don't look at Sir Rob and think "gnarled old centre-half, he'll want direct football". Nah he was a decent midf-fielder with us, and him, Gill and Harley were supreme in contrasting ways.
Midfield is probably our strongest area, so as he's been appointed player-coach I imagine he's backup for Koumas, who won't be able to play every game. Certainly a better strategy than the last 5 years which has been to recruit a small squad and have a revolving loan door to cover for injuries.

The style of football excites me though, as he mentioned it in his first press conference too, and I think it was a key criterion in their manager recruitment as they see it as a way to bring back the 4000 or so fans we've lost since the Brian Little days (though his football was efficiently dull a lot of the time).

Now thanks for the assessment and to save time can you please provide profiles of all players to have played for you in the previous 8 years.

grecian

Lambert going to Liverpool apparently. Find that a little strange I have to say.
bit left-field, but hey why not? Lambert get's a chance of Champions League football, Liverpool get a more physical option, without ruining their football relatively cheap. Saints get some decent money for an older player.

It is the trouble of Prem clubs looking for that extra defender, or extra striker, for when injuries hit. What person of quality will come if they know they're not going to be automatic first-choice. Citeh and Chelsea can throw money at people, so they get more chance, but still then you have to worry about the ambition of the player coming.

Lambert's reasons are clear, to potentially play at a level he once probably never dreamt of. He's already got his WC place, so he doesn't need to worry about playing every week to get in England's reckoning.