• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2011-12

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Benayoun confirms he's heading to Arsenal on Twitter as well.

Meireles leaves Liverpool half an hour to get a deal for him to head to Chelsea.

cpr

International Coach
From Twitter

"Congratulations to Raul Meireles on managing to agree a four year deal with Chelsea inside six minutes with no tapping up whatsoever"

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Sky's confirmed the Arteta deal. Genuinely chuffed with that one.

Not convinced with Benayoun tho. We've already got the "flaky, lightweight thirtysomething luxury player" angle covered with Rosicky and Arshavin.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
That's such a massive loss for Everton. Wow.

EDIT: Can't see them contesting for much at all this season.

Last edited:

Retox

State Vice-Captain
Sky's confirmed the Arteta deal. Genuinely chuffed with that one.

Not convinced with Benayoun tho. We've already got the "flaky, lightweight thirtysomething luxury player" angle covered with Rosicky and Arshavin.
Tis only a loan though can always send him back end of season :)

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone

"Wages, everybody needs less wages..."
Can it, Harold! Meireles' wages weren't high at all iirc. At we'd offloaded Jovanovic, Poulsen, Cole, Ngog, etc etc etc.

EDIT: And we've gone from having too many central midfielders to not enough! Baffled here.

Last edited:

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, Meireles' wage was really quite low compared to some of the others in the squad. Gets to relink up with AVB though so can see why he wanted the move and sometimes allowing them to go is the better move. Like Arteta too.

Cos there's nobody better than Mikel Arteta he's the best little Spaniard we know!!

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
So Everton have lost Arteta, Yakubu and Beckford. And gained Drenthe and Stracqualursi - both on loan.

Moyes must be de-****ing-lighted with all that.

cpr

International Coach
So, what do I get on my new Arsenal shirt, PoorMansFabregas or PoorMansNasri??

Can't see why the Arsenal fans are getting too excited, your still far worse off than you were at the beginning of the month. Apart from the two replacements above, you've signed another full back who can't really defend, a striker who is just bettering 1 in 4, and got fleeced by a Costa Rican kid who bent you over the ropes before finally signing.

Least It wasnt you who ended up with Jenas
Mertesacker is the shining light in all that... In fairness, thats the place you needed to strengthen

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Worse off than we were a month ago but considerably better than we were 48 hours ago. We're not allowed to get excited about signing 5 players who have a large amount of International experience between them, plus leadership experience with them all(?) having captained club or country at some point.

Questioning how much of Santos you've actually seen.. and even if he couldn't defend he's an upgrade in terms of attacking ability on Clichy; who was hardly a rock at the back himself.
Benayoun and Arteta have both got Premier League experience - something we're constantly criticised for not having enough of and now been criticised for getting excited when we go out and buy some. Yossi will add some depth to the squad and Arteta is quality, so much so that we were constantly linked with him even when we had Fabregas and Nasri. So there we go on that front.

Chu Young isn't anything particularly special but with Bendtner heading towards the exit door we needed somebody in case of injuries. He's decent from set pieces and good at linking in others from the limited amount I've seen of him. Can't expect much more for £3m for a 3rd choice centre forward.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Bellamy back at Liverpool. Good signing, if he can stay fit.

Arteta isn’t the player of a couple years back but he is quality. Only concern is fitness, Arsenal don’t need another Rosicky. No fan of Yossi. For an average player he has had some decent moves. Fellaini would have been an awesome signing.

Great that Rovers held onto Samba but apparently Yobo was available and he would have been a very good addition, what with Nelsen being continually crocked. Didn't need Yak, especially an overweight one.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
That's such a massive loss for Everton. Wow.

EDIT: Can't see them contesting for much at all this season.
Other than relegation.

How long has it been since Everton signed a player (cash transaction)? Sure there was a website for either them or Glasgow Rangers where the ticker was well past 18 months.

Royston Drenthe is an interesting signing. Looked one hell of a prospect some years back.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Dear Everton,

I eagerly anticipate our meetings in the 2012-13 Merseyside derbies.

There's a circus in the town and all that jazz.

Much love
SWA

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Slow deadline day for myself, me likes.

Though I would've killed for de Rossi. What a man/player. Also, he was the subject of my favourite post ever made on CW.