• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2010-11

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haven't done the New Meadow yet, or whatever the hell it's called now. May well have a couple of new grounds next year, actually, with Chesterfield's new place as well. Hopefully the fixture list will be kinder, and actually let me go to somewhere more exotic than Swindon on my weekends off...

Sheffield counts.
It a bit out of town but home fans don't mind as it is still part of the town anyway not miles out of it but no pubs close by and you don't want a game there at very beginning or end of season as the farmer close by has his muck spreading going. :laugh:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Prenton Park Monday?
Sorry - afraid I can't. In a monumental act of idiocy, I agreed to go to the theatre with my aunt and cousin on Easter Monday, whom I haven't seen in about a year. Tickets were bought several weeks ago, without bothering to look at the fixture programme.

Not happy. Next season!

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No worries.

Grecian?
Nah mate, as enticing as a trip to the Wirral in horrid sweaty conditions with Bank Holiday traffic, I've other plans.

Which may or may not involve sitting on the sofa in my pants drinking loads, whilst watching Jeff Stelling.....

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
My mate just txt me to see if I want to put a bet on Torres scoring in Chelsea's next game. Apparently the odds are 48-1!!

That's amazing. It means if you bet ten pounds, you lose ten pounds!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Dave, your lot were ****e. We weren't particularly great but Oldham barely put three passes together all day, and when they did they promptly stuck it down the wing, over the top and out of play.

Three more wins for the playoffs...

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ginge

Last week I was channel surfing and I spent a bit of time watching Hibs vs Hamilton in the SPL purely because it caught my eye that there were virtually no spectators in what looked like a good stadium

The official attendance was just over 8000 but I reckon that was a crock as there would've been a maximum of 100 people behind each goal and maybe a 1000 on the opposite side to the camera

Anyway, how can these clubs survive (let alone start to compete with the Rangers of this world) if this is the sort of crowds they draw?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Ginge

Last week I was channel surfing and I spent a bit of time watching Hibs vs Hamilton in the SPL purely because it caught my eye that there were virtually no spectators in what looked like a good stadium

The official attendance was just over 8000 but I reckon that was a crock as there would've been a maximum of 100 people behind each goal and maybe a 1000 on the opposite side to the camera

Anyway, how can these clubs survive (let alone start to compete with the Rangers of this world) if this is the sort of crowds they draw?
8,000 probably isn't that unrealistic - the stadium holds 20,000, most of those who bothered to show up would've been in the stand where the camera is.

Short answer, they can't. Short of developing good young players (which both teams have done in the recent past, Hibs are in a very healthy financial position because in the last 4 years they've raked in close to £10m in player sales, both McArthur and McArthy at Wigan came through the ranks at Hamilton) on a consistent basis, there's not much that can be done to challenge.

It has ever been thus in Scotland. There have been times when some of the provincial clubs have had excellent sides (usually co-incides with one of the OF being gash - see Hearts and Hibs in the 50s and early 60s, when Celtic were ****, and Aberdeen and Dundee Utd in the early 80s when Rangers were utter crap) but no provincial side has really, over a significant period of time, have ever really been top dog in Scotland.

Financially, Scottish football is a mess because the SPL have whored themselves out to TV companies, which results in every single away game involving Rangers or Celtic being televised, usually at ridiculous kick off times. Ticket prices are a joke - £40 for my last visit to see Rangers at Celtic Park - the turnstyles failed half an hour before kickoff and I missed the opening 15 minutes, and Celtic completely fobbed me off when I wrote seeking a partial refund, often you'll pay about £25 for other away games which all kick off between 12:30 and 2pm, and will always be on TV - fans are voting with their feet and staying away from grounds, which loses the clubs even more money.

I think only St Mirren, as a result of selling their old ground to Tesco and having a new ground built for them, and Hibernian as a result of player sales, are in the black.

Retox

State Vice-Captain
So just put $5

Man Utd VS Everton
Tottenham v West Brom
Liverpool v Birmingham
Bolton v Arsenal
Blackburn v Man City
2011 FA Cup - Man City

If all the teams in bold win I will get around $80.00

Have faith in all bar the Liverpool game

Uppercut

Wouldn't worry about Liverpool, last home game they crushed Citeh so they should have too much for Birmingham. Really good vibes coming from the team at the moment. Their performance last week says so much for the club- they lost two key defenders and had to bring on teenagers in their place, defended vigorously for 100 minutes against a team that likes to make you chase the ball out of principle, then conceded a goal really, really deep into injury time. And proceeded to desperately pour forward in search of an equaliser, in spite of the fact that it might well hand United their 19th title.

Arsenal and Citeh the teams to worry about there.

flibbertyjibber

In my lots hands now after yesterday. So nervous about the game today. Kicks off in less than an hour. Got to beat the 6 fingered carrot crunching hurdle bunters.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
According to Opta Joe, Rio has conceded just one free-kick in his last 24 hours on the pitch. Amazing.

Also Manchester United are undefeated this season with him in the team in any competition.
Great news he is back today!!

He is like the Rolls - Royce of defending.

Last edited: