• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, it's all ifs and buts which is a bit pointless but what you can't argue is that they finished second and that prior to losing Alonso had retained more strength compared to United

cricketboy29

International Regular
Anyone else read the article where Arsene talked about his 7 defenders? I'd like to get other Arsenal fan's views on it. IMO, I'm ready to let Arsene do his thing, and let his genius play out, but on quite a lot of the fan boards, a lot of people are questioning him. Gunner and Non-Gunner alike.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Nah, IIRC, he wanted to stay; we just weren't sure about him since the previous season he had come back from injury and wasn't looking good. I doubt Benitez would have sold him to a rival EPL team either.
Nup, from what I remember he was so desperate to sign Barry and they had to sell to raise the funds. We had bids that didn't meet Liverpool's evaluation and it didn't go through.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Anyone else read the article where Arsene talked about his 7 defenders? I'd like to get other Arsenal fan's views on it. IMO, I'm ready to let Arsene do his thing, and let his genius play out, but on quite a lot of the fan boards, a lot of people are questioning him. Gunner and Non-Gunner alike.
Having the number is all well and good. Numbers wise our midfield has Cesc, Denilson, Song, Diaby, Ramsey, Wilshere, Nasri. It's having the quality which is still the issue. Same with our defence. As it stands we have:

Gallas: Quality but moody, if he signs a pre contract in January and we're out of the title race he could mail the second half of the season in to not jeopardise a move out.

Vermaelen: Unknown whether he can step up.

Djourou: Very talented probably not ready to be a starter yet. Time on his side

Senderos: Haha, decent enough, mentally weak, prone to lapses.

Silvestre: Worst signing ever, humongous **** I wish he had been sold instead.

With guys like Song who can fill in. Still far too many question marks but the number is okay. Wenger's always been a great coach at spotting and signing attackers, even now we're sorted there. The defensive player situation is ******** though.

EDIT: Not winning jack with what we have there.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
No one's replacing Ronaldo. Would be highly unlikely for anyone to replace Ronaldo and Messi if he left Barca. Same for Kaka ar Milan.
Avoiding the question - you've lost 25+ goals a season from a season when you didn't actually score that many goals - who's going to score them?

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Well the big hope obviously is Rooney and Berbatov - the thinking being that, released from the shackles of being Ronaldo's support act, Rooney will play more centrally and Berbatov will play further forward. There's also the expectation that Macheda and Wellbeck will continue their development and play bigger roles this season.

It may not work out that way obviously, but that appears to be the direction United are heading. A few goals from midfield would be nice too.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Nup, from what I remember he was so desperate to sign Barry and they had to sell to raise the funds. We had bids that didn't meet Liverpool's evaluation and it didn't go through.
You're mistaken. Alonso wasn't going for anything under 16-17 million because we actually weren't that desperate to sell him. He had dropped his form but he wasn't appalling. The only club at the time that was getting near that was Juventus, but they still didn't meet that evaluation. If we were desperate, we could have easily sold him and gotten Barry. Around Liverpool circles, talk of him going to Arsenal was pretty distant.

The Barry deal fell through not because we didn't have enough money, but because Rafa didn't think he was worth 16+ and so didn't meet Aston Villas demands. That's pretty much it.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
So was the club actually for sale or was it just a piss-take? :unsure:

Chairman seems to be treating it v seriously if someone was just having a giraffe.
Yeah, Johnson has wanted out for ages, and apparently he got a US broker to try and sell the club for him. What he never banked on was this broker taking the ebay route. So yeah, it was legit.