• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Having reflected on last night for a little longer and moving on from the result itself, another point is that surely this is now the end for Berbatov at United? Left out of the starting line-up for a player who was patently nowhere near 100% fit and not even played as a second striker at home when goals were needed, Fergie then preferred to play for a good 15-20 mins of the second half without a striker at all rather than bring him on. Obviously Rafael's dismissal complicated matters, but it was still a damning indictment IMO of the confidence (or lack of) that Ferguson has in him these days. It's a shame that he never consistently showed his best at United - and there are myriad factors we can speculate on for that - but I can't see him being kept at the club after this season.

Loony BoB

International Captain
I can see him being kept at the club if we can't get someone to replace him, and potentially even him staying as a 3rd/4th striker behind Rooney and [someone else]. Basically, I can't see him remaining with us if he's going to be one of the first two strikers. I hope he's sold.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well van Bommel did something similar and he got off with it is why. Can see why it was given though.
This rather annoyed me because my response to Van Bommel's foul was, "ah, it's a booking, but I can see why the ref wouldn't want to send him off just for that". Was so ****ing stupid of Rafael though. Even stupider was the foul for his first booking. So frustrating after he was our best player for the first hour.

The prospects don't look great for Berbatov, but if this is the end of anyone's United career it should be Michael Carrick's. He's a joke. We need a real central midfielder.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
The prospects don't look great for Berbatov, but if this is the end of anyone's United career it should be Michael Carrick's. He's a joke. We need a real central midfielder.
Since the Barcodes secured promotion there have been several rumours of them offering us £10m+ for him. Hand snapping off time if true.

The other thing I've been sighing wistfully about today was that for all Fergie's talk of there being no value in the transfer market, two absolutely top class players who have been influential in their teams' CL progress this season - Robben and Sneijder - were both available for what I'd call very reasonable money last summer, and both of them at the club we got £80m from for one of our players.

I know hindsight is 20/20 and there were probably reasons and mitigating circumstances and all that (do I remember something about Sneider not wanting to move to England?), but £40-60m plus Robben and/or Sneijder sounds a whole lot better to me right now than £80m we weren't going to spend. Meh, anyway - just a thought.

Last edited:

Loony BoB

International Captain
I'm glad we don't have Robben in our team, talent or not. Never liked him much at all as a person. Wouldn't have objected to Sneijder, though, I suppose. Would take Gourcuff or Suarez ahead of either of them, mind you, amongst a few others... although they almost certainly wouldn't have been as cheap.

Won't be crying when Giggs/Scholes/Neville retire, as much as I don't think they're crap by any means, I think that I'd rather see new blood in their places, players who can play 90 minutes twice a week.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
If you don't like Robben as a person then I presume you struggled to get behind Cantona, Keane and other such shining examples of human decency to have played at the 'Theatre of Dreams' (:sick:) in the past? :ph34r:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would be ineteresting to see where Berbatov went, got to think it would be abroad although would not put it past Spurs buying him back. seems to be something they are rather fond of.

Matteh

if this is the end of anyone's United career it should be Michael Carrick's. He's a joke. We need a real central midfielder.
Hasn't everyone else been saying that for years and all Man Utd fans have come back saying 'Oh everyone says that, but you don't appreciate all the little things he does!' or the 'The Fergie rebuild all fell into place with the signing of Carrick'. Both opinions i've seen regularly on CW.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Hasn't everyone else been saying that for years and all Man Utd fans have come back saying 'Oh everyone says that, but you don't appreciate all the little things he does!' or the 'The Fergie rebuild all fell into place with the signing of Carrick'. Both opinions i've seen regularly on CW.
Yeah tbf I was one of those up to and including last season, but there's no denying he has been utterly gash for most of this season.

cpr

International Coach
That'll be the only time you see Gerrard and Torres together in next season's Liverpool kit.

That's Torres? Thought someone was modeling the womens team kit.....

And yeah, Gerrard wont be at Anfield next year IMO. Barca or Real bound.

grecian

That's Torres? Thought someone was modeling the womens team kit.....
I was going to make a comment like "Torres looking even more like a lesbian then normal", but I decided against it in these politically correct times.....

grecian

Some of you may have heard about Exeter striker Adam Stansfield contracting bowel cancer, has been a tad under-reported IMHO., Anyway, here's a Facebook group you may wish to join, put's all this football nonsense in perspective somewhat.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
All-English final? Been ages since there's been any English finalists in this, as far as I can remember. Great achievement for Fulham, gotta laugh at the Liverpool fans crowing on about it on my facebook though