• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

Loony BoB

International Captain
Bit of a spurious claim imo. Chelsea's defence is at least twice that of Bayern's. Nani's backheel goal although a good finish was only possible due to defending that was dreadful by any standard. They had about 4-5 players in and around the box who just stood and watched. Furthermore they had two who just watched Valencia dribble the ball about a bit and allowed him to get the cross in without making a tackle. The defending on the other goals wasn't exactly a masterclass either.
Yes, but the performance, rather than the goals, is what was missing for the first half of Saturday's game. We only showed it in the second half, and we matched Chelsea that half and were the better performers in it. In other words, we were capable of getting at least a draw out of Saturday's game and probably would have done that if we had such a solid performance as we did in this game.

Of course, I'm sure that if any team matched their top level in every game that they'd do well in every game, so it's kind of a moot point regardless. All I'm saying is that tonight's performance is something that I feel was very good from our team and, on tonight's game alone, I'm proud of them.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Heh @ Demento's "typical Germans" comment. Wonder what will get more mileage in the press, Arsene's "Villa used the long ball effectively" or that. Great night either way though. Robben incredible for a 46 year old tbh. The birth date on his passport puts most Nigerians to shame

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Since we won the second leg, your scapegoats should be the performance of the first leg by pretty much every player, rather than the second leg performance, which we won even with ten men, so it's nothing I'd call terrible.
Do you really think that Bayern would've played the last 20 minutes or whatever it was like they did if they weren't ahead on away goals?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Liken Messi to Henry during your 'Invincibles' season, defenders are too scared to put a tackle in, incase he makes them look a ****, or wrongfoots them into a foul. Problem is makes it ****-easy for him to just run and score. Back in 2008 he never had a look in over two legs against us (shame about 09 mind, that was more us being shocking and Iniesta carving us to bits, Messi getting a token goal from others hard work). A decent no fear defence can bring him down a few pegs IMO
Yeah, not like defenders in La Liga try to boot Messi from pillar to post week in week out or anything.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Can't wait for Rose to come on post about how Rafael shouldn't have been sent off.
Sod off.

Can see why that'd be a yellow but I wouldn't have given it. Can only blame himself though for being stupid there. No need to do that.

Pothas

Sod off.

Can see why that'd be a yellow but I wouldn't have given it. Can only blame himself though for being stupid there. No need to do that.
:) coming close to an admission that he deserved to go there, but cannot quite bring yourself to say it can you?

Matteh

Surpised nonone's mentioned the manner in which he got the first yellow which was immature and very avoidable. If he hadn't kicked Van Bommel (iirc) Man Utd would probably have gone through.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Do you really think that Bayern would've played the last 20 minutes or whatever it was like they did if they weren't ahead on away goals?
Nope, but we had the better chances even with ten men, so who's to say that them attacking more wouldn't have allowed us to see more of the ball, thus being able to get another goal ourselves? It's all speculation, though, either way we are now out of the CL and that's that.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
That post-match interview was one of the bitterest Taggart interviews I've heard, no mean feat hey

duffer

Typical Germans, giving my club millions of Euros a year as a sponsor. ****s.

Also saw the two French clubs going. Chamakh was ****ing excellent again, scored a goal in both legs, should have had a penalty, made Lloris pull out a wonder save and just generally looked dangerous. Free transfer about to enter his peak years. I love everything about this signing.

Jarquis

Yeah, I stayed up to watch the highlights and he looked very impressive. Bit lucky with the goal :p a few inches to the right and it hits the defender flush in the chest.
Can we have one from each side? Chamakh and Lloris please :)

Craig

World Traveller
I'm sure your team could find the money to buy Lloris if you want. Marseille's Steve Mandanda would be a good get as well.

WRT to the Fergie photo, surely the irony is not lost on SAF there?