• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Soft red, but if he hadn't have been booked already you'd bank on it being a yellow. First half petulance cost him. Shame as he'd been great upto then..

Feel if Carrick stayed on his feet would've stopped Robbens shot, his slide out opened the perfect hole for him. Regardless of that, he was gash. needs to go in the summer.

Ah well, roll on the world cup......
Yeah, had been so impressed by Rafael's job on Ribery up until then. I don't like to single out individuals but Carrick was predominantly responsible for both goals and then wasted a glorious chance to put us ahead again. Has been gash a lot recently, and his time might be done.

cpr

International Coach
Fancy Inter, tbh. We showed Barca can be got at and against a less revolving door defence I reckon they're prime for the taking.

Might even back it with a few quid if the odds are favourable.
Liken Messi to Henry during your 'Invincibles' season, defenders are too scared to put a tackle in, incase he makes them look a ****, or wrongfoots them into a foul. Problem is makes it ****-easy for him to just run and score. Back in 2008 he never had a look in over two legs against us (shame about 09 mind, that was more us being shocking and Iniesta carving us to bits, Messi getting a token goal from others hard work). A decent no fear defence can bring him down a few pegs IMO

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Pretty sure the match finished 3-2. Could be what made the aggregate 4-4.....
Misread Town's post tbh, but still, given the fact that Bayern knew they only needed to score one goal in the second half to win the tie makes the fact that they didn't win this leg of the tie outright totally meaningless.

Last edited:

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Liken Messi to Henry during your 'Invincibles' season, defenders are too scared to put a tackle in, incase he makes them look a ****, or wrongfoots them into a foul. Problem is makes it ****-easy for him to just run and score. Back in 2008 he never had a look in over two legs against us (shame about 09 mind, that was more us being shocking and Iniesta carving us to bits, Messi getting a token goal from others hard work). A decent no fear defence can bring him down a few pegs IMO
Van Buyten will just tap his ankle repeatedly until he breaks down.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Yeah, had been so impressed by Rafael's job on Ribery up until then. I don't like to single out individuals but Carrick was predominantly responsible for both goals and then wasted a glorious chance to put us ahead again. Has been gash a lot recently, and his time might be done.
To be fair to Carrick, he was often the last man defending in one-on-one situations that weren't even a result of corner at the other end or anything. Basically Vidic & Ferdinand were saved by him on a few occasions.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
To be fair to Carrick, he was often the last man defending in one-on-one situations that weren't even a result of corner at the other end or anything. Basically Vidic & Ferdinand were saved by him on a few occasions.
Yeah, maybe I shouldn't be posting right now as I'm pretty gutted and possibly looking too hard for a scapegoat. I'm just losing patience with him - obviously he's been a first-choice midfielder through an extraordinarily successful time for United, but all too often I seem to find myself thinking that when Carrick really needs to stand up and be counted he is found wanting.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Aye, but when you find him scoring goals, you barely notice any movement he makes - basically he's just a very "unnoticeable" player. Even when he does things, you don't really notice unless they're very dramatic. I've nothing major against Carrick, although I certainly don't think he's one of the greats either, that's obvious enough.

Since we won the second leg, your scapegoats should be the performance of the first leg by pretty much every player, rather than the second leg performance, which we won even with ten men, so it's nothing I'd call terrible. Unfortunately, first legs definitely, definitely count.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Since we won the second leg, your scapegoats should be the performance of the first leg by pretty much every player, rather than the second leg performance, which we won even with ten men, so it's nothing I'd call terrible. Unfortunately, first legs definitely, definitely count.
No argument there, but I've already gone on at length about our apocalyptic gash-ness in the first leg. :p

Loony BoB

International Captain
Just heard that Lyon have gone through to their first ever CL semifinal. Pretty stunned they've never got that far before.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Aye, but when you find him scoring goals, you barely notice any movement he makes - basically he's just a very "unnoticeable" player. Even when he does things, you don't really notice unless they're very dramatic. I've nothing major against Carrick, although I certainly don't think he's one of the greats either, that's obvious enough.

Huge understatement for mine.

Loony BoB

International Captain
Obviously!

You know, despite being so gutted about going out, I'm actually really proud of the performance we put in tonight. If we'd played that way on Saturday, I reckon we'd be top of the league.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
The Blackburn game on the weekend now absolutely monumental, and a great chance to pick ourselves up straight away. United can now just focus everything on winning the rest of their League games and hoping that Chelsea drop points along the way.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Obviously!

You know, despite being so gutted about going out, I'm actually really proud of the performance we put in tonight. If we'd played that way on Saturday, I reckon we'd be top of the league.
Bit of a spurious claim imo. Chelsea's defence is at least twice that of Bayern's. Nani's backheel goal although a good finish was only possible due to defending that was dreadful by any standard. They had about 4-5 players in and around the box who just stood and watched. Furthermore they had two who just watched Valencia dribble the ball about a bit and allowed him to get the cross in without making a tackle. The defending on the other goals wasn't exactly a masterclass either.