• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Domestic Season Thread 2010

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Monty takes four to wrap things up for Sussex. He has had a very good season with the ball, but not sure if he has quite outperformed Rashid. Taking batting out of the equation for the moment; Monty has 43 wickets at 24.11 in Division Two whereas Rashid has 50 wickets at 29.95 in Division One. Monty is proven at Test level, Rashid is not, but bring it batting back in - with Broad and Swann not showing consistency with the bat, could he be an option to bat eight or perhaps seven if England go with five bowlers?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I suppose being 35 will rule him out but Gary Keedy has been superb since he returned from injury and in my, admittedly biased opinion, fully deserves a chance at test level if a second spinner is going to play

fredfertang

Pass - I'm sure SKD will tell us

As far as I can see Lanky want to play Parry in the ListA stuff - not that they appear to give a tuppenny toss about it looking at their selection policy

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I suppose being 35 will rule him out but Gary Keedy has been superb since he returned from injury and in my, admittedly biased opinion, fully deserves a chance at test level if a second spinner is going to play
Glen Chapple is the one who is overdue for a Test opportunity. Alas, Test teams are always building for the future and never for the present bowler who is still bowling good pace and has taken 35 or more wickets in his last six FC seasons!

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Glen Chapple is the one who is overdue for a Test opportunity. Alas, Test teams are always building for the future and never for the present bowler who is still bowling good pace and has taken 35 or more wickets in his last six FC seasons!
AWTA. I can't believe he's not been more deserving than some of the muppets who've played Tests for England in the last dozen years or so.

fredfertang

Naturally I'm going to agree with those though if I'm being honest I'm not sure he's quite up to international standard - he was named in the 13 for a Test against the Saffers in the 2003 series - perversely at the time his season's bowling average was 37 :wacko: never a sniff when he's been at the top of his game though

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
The thumpingest of wins today for Sussex against a pisspoor Derby who managed to dismiss 3 batsmen (all for centuries) in the match. 8 centuries all told, 4 for our batsmen and 4 for their bowlers. I don't want to sound ungracious but I'm tending towards the view that the opposition really isn't up to much in Div 2.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Are they having a bit of internal strife? I see Chris Rogers is no longer skipper nor even playing against Sussex

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
He "resigned" the captaincy last week I think. His season started so well, got a triple century in the first match IIRC, and there was talk of 1,000 runs in May for him. He's now still a few short of that mark and his team are rooted at the bottom of the table where, for now at least, they seem to belong.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Peter Trego from Somerset playing in Melbourne this year. How does he go?
Hits a very long ball. Strong boy. Nothing very complicated in his technique; sees the ball and hits it.

Probably call him a batting all-rounder; bowls some medium/medium-fast seam up stuff which I've never realy been overly impressed with whenever I've seen it. Talking 75-80mph range. Nibbles it around off the seam a little.

Ridiculously handsome chap tho; will cut a swathe.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Peter Trego & Darren Stevens

Anyone think possibly looking ahead to the 2011 WC. That these two could be useful all-rounders in the ODI & T20 side. Or do they come across as just another set of useless bits & pieces county all-rounder like Holliake's, Brown, Fleming, Irani, Alleyne, Reeve, Ealham (although he had his days), Clarke, Wright (although he has his uses @ times currently) who have usually been picked since the 92 World Cup?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Hits a very long ball. Strong boy. Nothing very complicated in his technique; sees the ball and hits it.

Probably call him a batting all-rounder; bowls some medium/medium-fast seam up stuff which I've never realy been overly impressed with whenever I've seen it. Talking 75-80mph range. Nibbles it around off the seam a little.

Ridiculously handsome chap tho; will cut a swathe.
Also some very nice tattoos..

The_roc

U19 Captain
Anyone think possibly looking ahead to the 2011 WC. That these two could be useful all-rounders in the ODI & T20 side. Or do they come across as just another set of useless bits & pieces county all-rounder like Holliake's, Brown, Fleming, Irani, Alleyne, Reeve, Ealham (although he had his days), Clarke, Wright (although he has his uses @ times currently) who have usually been picked since the 92 World Cup?
Bowling not up to scratch

grecian

Bowling not up to scratch
This I'm afraid, bowling would be slaughtered at international level.

In other news, is Marcus Trescothick ***ier then a lesbian encounter between Blake Lively and Megan Fox?

Mind you Trego has done a fair bit of one-upmanship there, Tres gets a fifty off 23 balls. Trego manages it off 21 right after.

Last edited:

Pothas

With Notts and Warwikshire looking like losing we still have a slight chance in this.

Not lost a game of cricket in well over a month now, why did we have to be so **** at the start of the season?

Stoggler

Cricket Spectator
The thumpingest of wins today for Sussex against a pisspoor Derby who managed to dismiss 3 batsmen (all for centuries) in the match. 8 centuries all told, 4 for our batsmen and 4 for their bowlers. I don't want to sound ungracious but I'm tending towards the view that the opposition really isn't up to much in Div 2.
Agree with that about Div 2 bowling, although Sussex's performances with the bat haven't been brilliant at times. Too many times we've had to rely on middle-to-lower order partnerships to bale us out (although not missed Martin-Jenkins so far, which I'm surprised about - he was awesome when he played this season).

Sussex's highest partnership average this season is the 7th wicket, at 47.56. Before this match v Derbyshire, all the top five partnership averages were worryingly low - 5th wicket average is still only 23.79.

Am concerned about us being able to be competitive in the Championship next season (assuming we do get promoted!)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Anyone watching the Glos/Essex game on Sky just now?

Matt Walker doesn't eat salad. Not quite in Cosgrove's league of rotundness, but not far off it. Ha he always been a unit or is this a recent development?