• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Domestic Season Thread 2010

stumpski

International Captain
Yeah, watching it now. Gloucs well short it would appear.

I know this isn't the place to ask why btw, but shocked to see that Scaly's copped one. :blink:

Oh and Walker's not fat I would say, just short for his weight.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
BBC - David Bond: Empty seats challenge cricket authorities

Did anyone come across this article?.

Ticket prices in England have been ridiculously high for years now. I have always found a bit odd as the article suggest:

quote said:
According to a report by Deloitte, commissoned by the nine grounds which stage international matches in England and Wales, the combined cost to those grounds of bidding and staging games will have risen from £5.4m in 2006 to £17.5m next year
I guess the ECB have to raise money from somewhere. By why do grounds have to bid & pay so much???

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It's basic market economics - they have to bid that much in order to win the right to host a game.

They only do this because there's the demand for tickets which means they can charge what they do.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Agree with that about Div 2 bowling, although Sussex's performances with the bat haven't been brilliant at times. Too many times we've had to rely on middle-to-lower order partnerships to bale us out (although not missed Martin-Jenkins so far, which I'm surprised about - he was awesome when he played this season).

Sussex's highest partnership average this season is the 7th wicket, at 47.56. Before this match v Derbyshire, all the top five partnership averages were worryingly low - 5th wicket average is still only 23.79.

Am concerned about us being able to be competitive in the Championship next season (assuming we do get promoted!)
All true. We need to find another class batsman from somewhere, and perhaps two given that Goodwin's getting on a bit. I'm sure that'll be the priority for next season. The other problem is that we don't want to get lulled into a false sense of security as far as bowling is concerned: while our attack is too good for Div 2, it may well be inadequate for Div 1.

Stoggler

Cricket Spectator
All true. We need to find another class batsman from somewhere, and perhaps two given that Goodwin's getting on a bit. I'm sure that'll be the priority for next season. The other problem is that we don't want to get lulled into a false sense of security as far as bowling is concerned: while our attack is too good for Div 2, it may well be inadequate for Div 1.
We have been good bowling this season but I seem to recall Collymore struggled last season in the higher division, and having lost Martin-Jenkins and Kirtley not playing County Championship (and now retiring anyway) I do feel we need a match winning bowler.

Goodwin is 37... He can't have too many more seasons in him - hope he has the longevity (and consistency) of Ramps!

You know you're getting old when you're the same age as professional sportsmen are retiring. Guess it's too late for me now to walk out to the middle at the County Ground... :laugh:

stumpski

International Captain
Another ton each for Ramps and Tresco. Is there nothing stopping these guys?
Makes a change from the Surrey all out 170 I was half-expecting. :dry:

A ban, I meant. Sorry to be so obfuscatious. :)

We have been good bowling this season but I seem to recall Collymore struggled last season in the higher division, and having lost Martin-Jenkins and Kirtley not playing County Championship (and now retiring anyway) I do feel we need a match winning bowler.

Goodwin is 37... He can't have too many more seasons in him - hope he has the longevity (and consistency) of Ramps!

You know you're getting old when you're the same age as professional sportsmen are retiring. Guess it's too late for me now to walk out to the middle at the County Ground... :laugh:
It's worse when the players you remember from your youth are retiring from umpiring ... or worse, dying :ph34r: (RIP Shep).

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Rapidly turning even more one-sided than yesterday's cakewalk. Middlesex not helping themselves with a complete lack of urgency - and their side, as always, seems to be short of a couple of proper batsmen. I'm still yet to buy the notion that Gareth Berg is a 6.
I'm going to keep saying this until I see them actually make a score.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
It's basic market economics - they have to bid that much in order to win the right to host a game.

They only do this because there's the demand for tickets which means they can charge what they do.
I'm not question the basic market economics behind the bidding part really. I'm questioning why its so high - thus making tickets price so high. Tickets prices are ridiculously high @ all major test grounds.

Unless you are really rich, i dont think much people in this country can afford to go to all 5 tests @ a ground live. Which in other countries (like the windies) i think that can be done, since i've been to test matches in the caribbean before.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
I'm not question the basic market economics behind the bidding part really. I'm questioning why its so high - thus making tickets price so high. Tickets prices are ridiculously high @ all major test grounds.

Unless you are really rich, i dont think much people in this country can afford to go to all 5 tests @ a ground live. Which in other countries (like the windies) i think that can be done, since i've been to test matches in the caribbean before.
That is because there is enough of a demand base to fill stadia the majority of the time when people only attend one Test, or even one day of a Test.

All prices are that high - whether for the matchday tickets, the pies, or the bidding to host the games in the first plae, because it is still worthwhile to pay those prices. It is that simple.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
That is because there is enough of a demand base to fill stadia the majority of the time when people only attend one Test, or even one day of a Test.

All prices are that high - whether for the matchday tickets, the pies, or the bidding to host the games in the first plae, because it is still worthwhile to pay those prices. It is that simple.
It may be worthwhile in the end since they still pack grounds when good teams come here. But as i said i dont think anyone unless of a certain ilk, can afford to go to all 5 days live.

Lucky me @ OT given my father is life club memeber & i played club cricket @ OT, i be in the pavillion mostly when matches are up here. But if i didn't have that privilege i couldn't afford to go to all 5 days live. Since i'm one of those fans when matches are in town i rather be @ the ground for all days instead of watching it on TV.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
What are you actually trying to say here?

They can sell out at a price, so why should they should charge less?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
What are you actually trying to say here?

They can sell out at a price, so why should they should charge less?
Basically that die hard fans could never go to a all 5 days of test match because of the price in this country.

Added to the fact that not everyone has skysports, home tests is not on free-to-air either anymore. So generally such fans can be shut out, even though pubs will be available (but you dont know if the pub will be showing the cricket on that day).

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Yes, prices are high, but that's purely market forces - all the counties are businesses, not charities so they will charge what they can afford, and rightly so IMO.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yes, prices are high, but that's purely market forces - all the counties are businesses, not charities so they will charge what they can afford, and rightly so IMO.
Haha yeah AWTA. If they could get bigger crowds by dropping their prices and make about similar profits then that's a totally different thing, but they shouldn't drop the prices just out of the kindness of their hearts if they're getting sell-outs. If anything they could probably raise them a little more.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Haha yeah AWTA. If they could get bigger crowds by dropping their prices and make about similar profits then that's a totally different thing, but they shouldn't drop the prices just out of the kindness of their hearts if they're getting sell-outs. If anything they could probably raise them a little more.
There must be a way this can be done. Since alot of people (die hard fans i know) complain about it, especially since home matches came off channel 4 (free-to-air) after Ashes 05.