• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England\UK off-season 2008/09 \ build-up to 2009 season thread

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The enmity between Fred and me :mad: is so bitter that our only option may be the "ingore" function
Frankly I fear for the future of CW if Zaremba's martlet myopia and massive intellect are allowed to run rampant on all threads without challenge - I may be fighting a losing battle but I dare not ignore him

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I diasgree with the way he imposes his opinion on people.

And also that he doesn't always have the facts ->

He's put Pete Trego in the D-1 catagory when Trigger's scored 849 runs at 42.45, with a SR of 73.76 (the 2nd highest in the country). He also topped the Somerset bowling averages with 28 wickets at 24.78, when Caddick only took 25 at 41.88.
From what I saw he didn't do that in this instance. Nobody was saying you had to agree with his assessments, he obviously put a lot of thought and effort into that post and it deserved better than a 8-) and a remark about his lack of a life, IMO.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You are? :-O I always thought this for-an-act stuff wasn't just an act, and was in fact real. :-O

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Before I read the rest of the thread.

A fair effort from Richard. There will always be disagreement over certain players so that is natural.

Though Stubbings suprised me as did a number of the C1s (Id have downgraded a few).

Also Wainwright as a D1 (D-1: poor-quality British\Irish players who do nothing for the game - home-grown.). Does nothing apart from possibly play the innings of the season and keep his County in Division 1.

That innings was worth a lot of money and county pride.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Before I read the rest of the thread.

A fair effort from Richard. There will always be disagreement over certain players so that is natural.

Though Stubbings suprised me as did a number of the C1s (Id have downgraded a few).

Also Wainwright as a D1 (D-1: poor-quality British\Irish players who do nothing for the game - home-grown.). Does nothing apart from possibly play the innings of the season and keep his County in Division 1.

That innings was worth a lot of money and county pride.
That's very true and even if Wainwright does nothing else in his career he'll always have played a big part in saving Yorkshire from relegation in 2008. No-one will ever take that away from him.

However in the long-term I don't see him being a particularly useful county player as I don't think many are expecting him to repeat that innings and as I said at the time, it possibly might mean he's in danger of becoming Yorkshire's Stuart Broad - an ineffective bowler retained for his lower-order batting.

And just to add - I wrote that list before the final round of the season (hence having to add Woodman, Ahmed and Whiteley in unexpectedly at the last minute). I wonder if I'd have been more generous on Wainwright if I'd done it all after the final round.

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
Lawson should get a contract elsewhere
Yes was trialling with Derby at the end of the season, and played in their final Championship game, but due to getting injured while batting in the first innings, never got a chance to have a bowl. Think Derby may try him again next summer, but will not offer him a contract of the basis of some net performances.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
A1 - Proven high calibre British Player - Mark Chilton. :wacko:
He and Tom Savill are also coming over to play Grade cricket in Melbourne.

Makes the complete list of Poms...

C Benham, R Sillence (Hawthorn)
M Chilton, T Savill (Melb Uni)
D Alleyne (Northcote)
C Nash (Richmond)
T Smith, G Cross (St Kilda)

As well as Pattinson, Bray from Ireland and Taylor from Zimbos. Has Taylor been playing in England as a Kolpak?

BoyBrumby

Englishman

D Alleyne (Northcote)
C Nash (Richmond)

As well as Pattinson, Bray from Ireland and Taylor from Zimbos. Has Taylor been playing in England as a Kolpak?
Brendan? Nah, not FC stuff at least. Might well have played club cricket as overseas pro tho.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

D Alleyne (Northcote)
C Nash (Richmond)

Haha, Roger Sillence and David Alleyne are playing grade cricket? Have they played before and if so how did they get on?

(That applies to Christopher Benham too - only difference is he is, somehow, still on the books of his county)

Jeremy Bray basically is Australian though isn't he?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
BTW thought this was ITSTL. I'm sure many players have thought it, but how many will actually mention it just a few months later?

And this might be a useful little link.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
btw on a point about which I imagine only Richard and I could possibly care, I can confirm that the T Smith isn't Sussex's SLA bowler Tom Smith (who's going to North Shore in Aukland) - so I presume this is indeed the medium-pacer from Lancs

fredfertang

btw on a point about which I imagine only Richard and I could possibly care, I can confirm that the T Smith isn't Sussex's SLA bowler Tom Smith (who's going to North Shore in Aukland) - so I presume this is indeed the medium-pacer from Lancs
all rounder from Lancs Mr Z - there's no need to confuse folk

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
By all-rounder you mean "gets as many chances for his county when playing as either bowler or batsman"?

FBU

International Debutant
Well, really, based purely on the "he's been clocked at 95mph" thing. Same as quite a few other people.

If he's no good we'll soon find-out, but right now I'd regard him as promising.
I also think Meaker is promising. He hasn't bowled at 95. The story is that he bowled at Loughborough at 92 which is the fastest recorded by any bowler. The speedo there is supposed to be very accurate and he was told that with the speed guns in match conditions it would be about 95.

Woodster

International Captain
Michael Brown is ready to complete his move from Hants to Surrey, while Hants have signed veteran Dominic Cork for two years.

fredfertang

I'll be interested to see what the Hants fans think of that one - I suspect they will be less than impressed