• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England\UK off-season 2008/09 \ build-up to 2009 season thread

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Michael Brown is ready to complete his move from Hants to Surrey, while Hants have signed veteran Dominic Cork for two years.
Oooh... there's-a-interesting. Two years?

Can't fathom why Surrey want Brown as the one area they're reasonably well-off is openers. :dontgetit Not like Brown is that good anyway IMO.

Cork and Tremlett opening the bowling? That should be a recipe for ITSTL, and if the Rose Bowl pitches have a decent bit of juice in them, Corky might just have a bit left in him yet. Unlike the move to Lancs, which I always wish he'd never made (Old Trafford has never been that much of a swinger's or seamer's ground), this strikes me as a pretty good career idea. The Rose Bowl isn't as lively as it first was, but it's still probably more so than most squares in the country.

So, Gough retires, White steps down to the Second XI, but Caddick goes for another year and Cork for another two. Well, that's-a-interesting, as I say.

Woodster

International Captain
Surrey may be ok for openers, but having tried 5 partners for Newman last season and seemingly failing to come up with the answer, then you can understand such a move. Whether Brown is of the required standard is open to opinion.

Still plenty left in Corky's tank, he'll be giving plenty of hassle to batsmen for some time yet. Decent move I feel for Hants, a very capable new ball exponent.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Surrey may be ok for openers, but having tried 5 partners for Newman last season and seemingly failing to come up with the answer, then you can understand such a move. Whether Brown is of the required standard is open to opinion.
That was only because Butcher missed the second half of the season with injury though, wasn't it? I don't really like the idea of making a signing based basically on "our best opener might get injured again".

Given fitness, Newman-Butcher is one of the best opening combos in the country, if not the best.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Anyone seen this?

Nixon to play ICL again

cricinfo said:
The unsanctioned ICL is not officially recognised by the ICC and, as such, any county player who represents one of the teams risks severing their ties with the ECB. At worst, he could be banned from county cricket and Leicestershire might then be thrown out of the 2009 Champions League if they were to reach the tournament.
Feel that this is quite misinformed from cricinfo. Surely it's been well established that the ECB can't legally sever ties with players just because they signed for the ICL and as such can't be banned from county cricket? And as for Leicestershire being thrown out of the 2009 CL...well I don't see them qualifying personally!

Woodster

International Captain
That was only because Butcher missed the second half of the season with injury though, wasn't it? I don't really like the idea of making a signing based basically on "our best opener might get injured again".

Given fitness, Newman-Butcher is one of the best opening combos in the country, if not the best.
Pretty sure Butcher can fit in in the middle order though. With him at 3, Ramps 4, Afzaal 5, it's pretty strong for division 2.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Anyone seen this?

Nixon to play ICL again

Feel that this is quite misinformed from cricinfo. Surely it's been well established that the ECB can't legally sever ties with players just because they signed for the ICL and as such can't be banned from county cricket? And as for Leicestershire being thrown out of the 2009 CL...well I don't see them qualifying personally!
Worst thing is the way they describe it as "thrown-out" of the CL. They simply wouldn't be invited ITFP.

Don't think Nixon playing again is a surprise nor that much of a new problem.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I'll be interested to see what the Hants fans think of that one - I suspect they will be less than impressed
Don't really mind this tbh, though I have never been his greatest fan, I think he could potentially offer quite a bit, esspecially as at the moment Hampshire are lacking a bowler or too.

Am dissapointed at the loss of Brown tbh, though I don't really rate him I still estimated him to be one of the better options for opening the batting that we still had, and think he's a much better player than the likes of James Adams and Chris Benham.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Brown’s a good signing when you consider who Surrey were forced into opening with this year. At least Brown is a proper opener, real batsman and is coming off a good season.

Also Leicestershire have signed this guy to a two year deal...

http://content-eap.cricinfo.com/england/content/player/51431.html

Hopefully he does more than Jermaine Lawson who was arguably the worst signing of the season. Bowled I think 13 overs for 90 odd in a four day game and was never seen again.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Also Leicestershire have signed this guy to a two year deal...

http://content-eap.cricinfo.com/england/content/player/51431.html

Hopefully he does more than Jermaine Lawson who was arguably the worst signing of the season. Bowled I think 13 overs for 90 odd in a four day game and was never seen again.
Haha, dear oh dear.

At least Lawson came with some pedigree and probably should have played again rather than the Cliffs, Rowes, Cumminses... but that chap doesn't have anything to recommend him at all.

Can only hope for his and Leics' sake that he's gotten better since he played those First-Class and OD games.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Worst thing is the way they describe it as "thrown-out" of the CL. They simply wouldn't be invited ITFP.

Don't think Nixon playing again is a surprise nor that much of a new problem.
Yeah, sensationalism from cricinfo tbh

FBU

International Debutant
Haha, dear oh dear.

At least Lawson came with some pedigree and probably should have played again rather than the Cliffs, Rowes, Cumminses... but that chap doesn't have anything to recommend him at all.

Can only hope for his and Lancs' sake that he's gotten better since he played those First-Class and OD games.
:blink:

Middlesex pick their squad for Antigua

Shaun Udal (c), Neil Carter, Neil Dexter, Steven Finn, Billy Godleman, Tyron Henderson, Ed Joyce, Murali Kartik, Dawid Malan, Eoin Morgan, Tim Murtagh, David Nash, Alan Richardson, Ben Scott, Andrew Strauss.

They only have a chance of winning any money against Trinidad and Tobago - $400,000.

Last edited:

gettingbetter

State Vice-Captain
:blink:

Middlesex pick their squad for Antigua

Shaun Udal (c), Neil Carter, Neil Dexter, Steven Finn, Billy Godleman, Tyron Henderson, Ed Joyce, Murali Kartik, Dawid Malan, Eoin Morgan, Tim Murtagh, David Nash, Alan Richardson, Ben Scott, Andrew Strauss.

They only have a chance of winning any money against Trinidad and Tobago - $400,000.
Does this clash with the India tour? No Shah.

FBU

International Debutant
Well looks like Watkinson is going to get at least another year....maybe 2010 we will sort ourselves out
I wonder if Law is going get another contract and if he stays as captain? Whoever gets the captaincy can't seem to get any runs. Might as well give it to Chapple.