• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England\UK off-season 2008/09 \ build-up to 2009 season thread

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Garnett Kruger has thrown in the towel with Leicestershire despite having another year left on his contract. Kruger thinks his body can not withstand twelve months of cricket and the decision was to either chuck it in with the Lions/South Africa or England.
Interesting.

Last report I saw said he was going to Glamorgan as a Kolpak with Gibbs as the overseas player.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah Hodge shouldn't be coming back

we'll take Mendis hopefully
Agree entirely - can't see Hodge proving a popular choice with supporters, the committee or the dressing room - after all who in their right mind would choose the IPL over the mighty Red Rose?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Actually had heard (and posted) about Mendis so not sure why I wrote that but don't really think Hodge can be blamed too much for his decision. You don't turn-down international or IPL calls, and if your wife's ill I don't blame you too much for not wanting to be on the other side of The World, much as it was a shame the lattermost happened.

And it was Lancs' fault they signed that useless waste of space Vincent, not Hodge's.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
He'd still be available afterwards, though.
He will but CSA probably won’t ‘allow’ him to play because South Africa have the 20/20 World Cup to participate in during the summer and after the IPL presumably most of the players will be told to rest up for that competition, especially the bowlers. Also Morne wouldn’t need the financial incentive to play county cricket after pocketing over $150,000 for four and bit weeks work.

Anna

International Vice-Captain
He will but CSA probably won’t ‘allow’ him to play because South Africa have the 20/20 World Cup to participate in during the summer and after the IPL presumably most of the players will be told to rest up for that competition, especially the bowlers. Also Morne wouldn’t need the financial incentive to play county cricket after pocketing over $150,000 for four and bit weeks work.
How could he refuse to play for Warwickshire with me working here? :D

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Looks like Dale Benkenstein's last season at Durham won't be spent as captain. But surprisingly, William Smith, who has finally managed a good (most of a) season after years of poor performance, appears favourite to take-over. :huh:

Also Alan Butcher's departure from Surrey has been confirmed.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So far we have formal announcements that 2008 will be their last season from:
Graeme Hick, Darren Gough, Kevin Dean and Iain Sutcliffe. Mushtaq Ahmed and Jason Gillespie of the overseas-players as well. And I'd be surprised if we see Deon Kruis again either. Not sure whether it's the last we've seen of Grant Flower, Jason Gallian, Alex Tudor, David Hemp, Craig Spearman, Carl Greenidge, Dominic Cork, Lance Klusener, Matthew Nicholson or Rana Naved-ul-Hasan, but in each's case I hope it might be, for reasons varying from "never any good" to "his time has come" to "he's an ICL player who is very possibly doing his county more harm than good". But with Shaun Udal and Ian Salisbury being tempted out of retirement only to make their retired-from counties regret not trying such a thing themselves, don't count your chickens.
Somehow forgot to mention Alistair Brown in the above post - whether we'll be seeing him again I don't know. I'd be surprised if all 17 counties resisted the temptation to gamble on him - he'll be 39 next season but by nature he's not someone you'd want to write-off - ever. I just wish Surrey hadn't picked so many inferior batsmen ahead of him last season. :dry: Rather surprisingly, Jason Brown has also been released from Northants, and disappointingly Michael Powell and Nicholas James have been let go from Warwicks. Always thought pretty highly of all three and James simply wasn't given the opportunities while other poor-quality players were.

Other mediocre cricketers who've been released from their counties: Nayan Doshi (couldn't fathom how he got a contract with a second county ITFP); Ian Fisher; Mark Hardinges; William Rudge; Greg Lamb; Kevin Latouf; Simon Marshall; Richard Logan; Andrew Harris; Lee Daggett; Luke Parker; Stuart Hole; Mark Lawson. Hope all of these players elect to move on rather than sign for new counties, as none have ever been much good, most have been playing for quite a while and I'll be astonished if any of them ever amount to county-standard players.

And apparently somehow Gloucestershire have decided they want to keep Richard Dawson. :blink:

Last edited:

Anna

International Vice-Captain
Somehow forgot to mention Alistair Brown in the above post - whether we'll be seeing him again I don't know. I'd be surprised if all 17 counties resisted the temptation to gamble on him - he'll be 39 next season but by nature he's not someone you'd want to write-off - ever. I just wish Surrey hadn't picked so many inferior batsmen ahead of him last season. :dry: Rather surprisingly, Jason Brown has also been released from Northants, and disappointingly Michael Powell and Nicholas James have been let go from Warwicks. Always thought pretty highly of all three and James simply wasn't given the opportunities while other poor-quality players were.

Other mediocre cricketers who've been released from their counties: Nayan Doshi (couldn't fathom how he got a contract with a second county ITFP); Ian Fisher; Mark Hardinges; William Rudge; Greg Lamb; Kevin Latouf; Simon Marshall; Richard Logan; Andrew Harris; Lee Daggett; Luke Parker; Stuart Hole; Mark Lawson. Hope all of these players elect to move on rather than sign for new counties, as none have ever been much good, most have been playing for quite a while and I'll be astonished if any of them ever amount to county-standard players.

And apparently somehow Gloucestershire have decided they want to keep Richard Dawson. :blink:
Powelly's effectively retiring.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Do you really see him amounting to much? It's not like he's only been around 5 minutes these days. It's not even like his record for the Second XI is good. He averages 33 in 81 games played from 2003 to 2008. Nor is this something that's gotten better (or worse) over time - it's been the same story pretty well throughout.

If he can't even do particularly well, never mind outstandingly, in Second XI cricket by the age of 23, one has to very much question whether he will ever be able to do much in a First XI.

It's not even like he was successful at under-19 international level. I've often thought people have gotten more excited than they ever should by Lawson simply because he is a wristspinner who doesn't bat. He is not a very good wristspinner and as I say - I highly doubt he ever will be.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Anyway I fancied having a proper in-depth look at season 2008, so I did. And I mean, looking at the quality of player and where they came from. If you can be bothered to read through all of this (unlikely, I know), let me know which ones you disagree about. To avoid confusion - every player who took the field in a First-Class game is included, even if it was just once or twice. And assessments are made based on long-term performance, not purely on this season.

Key:
A-1: proven high-calibre British\Irish players - home-grown. * = played limited first-team cricket in season.
A-2: proven high-calibre British\Irish or European players - imported. * = played limited first-team cricket in season (brackets = mid-season signing).
B-1: promising young British\Irish players - home-grown.
B-2: promising young British\Irish or European players - imported (brackets = loan signing).
C-1: proven high-calibre overseas \ EU-passport \ Kolpak \ British-passport-of-convenience players. * = played limited first-team cricket in season.
C-2: lesser overseas \ EU-passport \ Kolpak \ British-passport-of-convenience players who do nothing for the game.
D-1: poor-quality British\Irish players who do nothing for the game - home-grown.
D-2: poor-quality British\Irish or European players who do nothing for the game - imports from a minor county or who never played for their home county.
D-3: poor-quality British\Irish or European players who do nothing for the game who for some reason have got contracts with second or even third counties (brackets = loan signing).
E: backup wicketkeeper.

Derbyshire:
A-1: Stephen Stubbings*, Kevin Dean*.
A-2: Daniel Birch, Rikki Clarke, James Pipe.
B-1: Paul Borrington, Daniel Redfern.
B-2: Frederik Klokker, Jonathan Clare, (Tom New).
C-1: Chris Rogers, Wavell Hinds, Charl Langeveldt.
C-2: Greg Smith, Dominic Telo.
D-1: Tom Lungley, Jake Needham, Wayne White, Ross Whiteley.
D-2: none.
D-3: John Sadler, Graham Wagg, Ian Hunter, Nayan Doshi, (Mark Lawson).
E: Tom Poynton.
Durham:
A-1: Paul Collingwood*, Stephen Harmison, Mark Davies, Neil Killeen*.
A-2: William Smith.
B-1: none.
B-2: none.
C-1: Neil McKenzie, Albie Morkel, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Michael di Venuto, Dale Benkenstein.
C-2: Garry Park, Paul Wiseman, Mitchell Claydon, Callum Thorp.
D-1: Michael Stoneman, Ben Harmison, Gordon Muchall, Kyle Koetzer, Philip Mustard, Liam Plunkett, Graham Onions.
D-3: none.
Essex:
A-1: Alastair Cook*, Ravinder Bopara, Mark Pettini, James Foster.
A-2: Jason Gallian, James Middlebrook, David Masters.
B-1: Varun Chopra, Tom Westley, Jaik Mickleburgh, Antonio Palladino.
C-1: Andre Nel, Danish Kaneria, Grant Flower*, Ryan ten Doeschate, (Neil Dexter).
C-2: none.
D-1: Graham Napier, Tim Phillips, Maurice Chambers, Jahid Ahmed.
D-3: John Maunders, Alex Tudor, Chris Wright.
E: Adam Wheater.
Glamorgan:
A-1: Michael Powell, David Hemp, Robert Croft, Mark Wallace, Dean Cosker.
A-2: Matthew Wood, Jamie Dalrymple.
B-1: Gareth Rees, Tom Maynard, James Harris.
B-2: Adam Shantry.
C-1: Jason Gillespie.
D-1: Richard Grant, Ryan Watkins, Huw Waters, David Harrison.
D-3: Alex Wharf.
Gloucestershire:
A-1: Chris Taylor, Jonathan Lewis.
A-2: none.
B-2: William Porterfield, Kadeer Ali, Stephen Snell, David Brown.
C-1: Marcus North, Craig Spearman*, Hamish Marshall.
C-2: Grant Hodnett.
D-1: Mark Hardinges, Alex Gidman, William Rudge, Ian Saxelby.
D-2: Matt Gitsham, Vikram Banerjee.
D-3: Ian Fisher, Richard Dawson, Stephen Kirby, Carl Greenidge, (Robert Woodman, Oliver Newby, David Wigley, Andrew Harris).
E: Stephen Adshead.
Hampshire:
A-1: Dimitri Mascarenhas, Chris Tremlett.
A-2: Michael Carberry, John Crawley*, Kevin Pietersen*.
B-1: Liam Dawson.
C-1: Shane Bond, Mornantau Hayward, Rory Kleinveldt, Imran Tahir, Sean Ervine, Nic Pothas.
D-1: James Adams, Christopher Benham, James Tomlinson, David Griffiths, Hamza Riazuddin.
D-2: Michael Brown, Greg Lamb, David Balcombe.
D-3: Michael Lumb.
E: Tom Burrows.
Kent:
A-1: Robert Key, Matthew Walker*, Geraint Jones, Robert Joseph.
A-2: Darren Stevens, Martin Saggers.
B-1: Joe Denly.
C-1: Yasir Arafat, Martin van Jaarsveld, Neil Dexter*, Justin Kemp*, Azhar Mahmood*, Ryan McLaren.
D-1: James Tredwell.
D-2: Amjad Khan.
Lancashire:
A-1: Paul Horton, Mark Chilton*, Andrew Flintoff*, Glen Chapple, James Anderson*.
A-2: Iain Sutcliffe*, Mal Loye*, Luke Sutton, Dominic Cork.
B-1: Karl Brown, Steven Croft, Steven Mullaney, Kyle Hogg, Tom Smith, Simon Marshall.
C-1: Brad Hodge, Mohammad Yousuf, Lou Vincent, Stuart Law, Francois du Plessis.
D-1: Gary Keedy, Sajid Mahmood, Oliver Newby.
E: Gareth Cross.
Leicestershire:
A-1: Paul Nixon.
A-2: none.
B-1: Tom New, Matthew Boyce, Greg Smith, Joshua Cobb, (Tom Smith, Lee Daggett).
B-2: James Taylor, Johan Malcolm-Hansen.
C-1: Boeta Dippenaar, Hylton Ackerman, James Allenby, Claude Henderson, Jermaine Lawson*, Dillon du Preez, Garnett Kruger.
C-2: Jacques du Toit.
D-1: Ryan Cummins, Sam Cliff, Jigar Naik.
D-2: Daniel Rowe.
D-3: Nadeem Malik.
Middlesex:
A-1: Andrew Strauss*, Owais Shah, Nick Compton*, Ben Scott.
A-2: Ed Smith*, Ed Joyce, Shaun Udal, Chris Silverwood*, Alan Richardson.
B-1: Billy Godleman, Daniel Housego.
B-2: Eoin Morgan, Dawid Malan.
C-1: Vernon Philander, Murali Kartik.
C-2: Gareth Berg, Dirk Nannes.
D-1: Danny Evans, Steven Finn, Christopher Peploe.
D-2: David Burton.
D-3: Tim Murtagh, (Mark Lawson).
E: David Nash.
Northamptonshire:
A-1: Monty Panesar.
A-2: David Sales, Stephen Peters, Niall O'Brien.
B-1: Alex Wakeley, Ben Howgego, Mark Nelson.
C-1: Johann Louw, Andrew Hall, Lance Klusener, Nico Boje, Johannes van der Wath, Riki Wessels.
C-2: Andrew Crook, Steven Crook.
D-1: Shaun Bailey, Graeme White.
D-2: Robert White.
D-3: David Lucas, David Wigley, Richard Logan.
Nottinghamshire:
A-1: Samit Patel, Chris Read, Paul Franks.
A-2: Matthew Wood, Mark Wagh, Mark Ealham, Graeme Swann, Ryan Sidebottom*.
B-1: Bilal Shafayat, Luke Fletcher.
B-2: Stuart Broad.
C-1: Adam Voges, Ashwell Prince, Andre Adams, Darren Pattinson.
D-1: none.
D-2: Charles Shreck.
D-3: William Jefferson, Robert Ferley, Andrew Harris.
Somerset:
A-1: Marcus Trescothick.
A-2: Ian Blackwell, Andy Caddick.
B-1: James Hildreth.
B-2: Craig Kieswetter.
C-1: Justin Langer, Zander de Bruyn, Alfonso Thomas, Charl Willoughby.
D-1: Neil Edwards, Wesley Durston, Arul Suppiah, Peter Trego, Michael Munday.
D-3: John Francis, Steffan Jones, Ben Phillips, Mark Turner.
E: Carl Gazzard.
Surrey:
A-1: Mark Butcher, Scott Newman, Alastair Brown, James Benning.
A-2: Mark Ramprakash, Usman Afzaal, Jonathan Batty.
B-1: Matthew Spriegel, Chris Murtagh, Tom Jewell, Stuart Meaker.
C-1: Matthew Nicholson, Abdur Razzaq, Shoaib Akhtar, Saqlain Mushtaq, Murtaza Hussain, Pedro Collins.
C-2: Stewart Walters, Chris Jordan.
D-1: Alex Tudor, Jade Dernbach.
D-2: Lee Hodgson.
D-3: Richard Clinton, James Ormond, Chris Schofield.
Sussex:
A-1: Michael Yardy, Matthew Prior, Robin Martin-Jenkins, James Kirtley, Jason Lewry.
A-2: Chris Adams.
B-1: Chris Nash, Michael Thornley, Oliver Rayner, William Beer.
B-2: Luke Wright, Rory Hamilton-Brown.
C-1: Mushtaq Ahmed*, Mohammad Sami, Murray Goodwin, Corey Collymore.
C-2: Ryan Harris, Raghab Aga.
D-1: Carl Hopkinson.
D-3: Christopher Liddle.
E: Andrew Hodd.
Warwickshire:
A-1: Michael Powell, Ian Westwood, Ian Bell*, Jamie Troughton.
A-2: Darren Maddy, Jonathan Trott, Tim Ambrose*, Ian Salisbury, (Rikki Clarke).
B-1: Nicholas James, Chris Woakes, Naqqash Tahir.
B-2: Lee Daggett, Boyd Rankin, Calum MacLeod, Andrew Miller, Stuart Hole.
C-1: Monde Zondeki*, Chris Martin*, Ant Botha.
C-2: Neil Carter, Tim Groenewald.
D-1: Luke Parker.
D-2: Navdeep Poonia, James Anyon.
E: Tony Frost, Richard Johnson, Michael Balac
Worcestershire:
A-1: Daryl Mitchell, Vikram Solanki, Steven Davies, Kabir Ali.
A-2: Graeme Hick, Ben Smith, Gareth Batty, Simon Jones*.
B-2: Alexei Kervezee, Moeen Ali, Imran Arif.
C-1: Stephen Moore, Matthew Mason*.
C-2: Steve Magoffin, Dilhara Fernando.
D-1: Mehraj Ahmed.
D-3: Gareth Andrew, Chris Whelan, (Andrew Harris).
Yorkshire:
A-1: Chris Taylor, Michael Vaughan*, Anthony McGrath, Darren Gough*, Matthew Hoggard.
A-2: Gerard Brophy.
B-1: Andrew Gale, Adam Lyth, Adil Rashid, Tim Bresnan, Ajmal Shahzad, Steven Patterson, Ben Sanderson, Oliver Hannon-Dalby.
B-2: Gary Ballance
C-1: Morne Morkel, Rana Naved-ul-Hasan*, Jacques Rudolph, Gideon Kruis.
D-1: Joe Sayers, Rich Pyrah, David Wainwright.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Hampshire:
A-1: Dimitri Mascarenhas, Chris Tremlett.
A-2: Michael Carberry, John Crawley*, Kevin Pietersen*.
B-1: Liam Dawson.
C-1: Shane Bond, Mornantau Hayward, Rory Kleinveldt, Imran Tahir, Sean Ervine, Nic Pothas.
D-1: James Adams, Christopher Benham, James Tomlinson, David Griffiths, Hamza Riazuddin.
D-2: Michael Brown, Greg Lamb, David Balcombe.
D-3: Michael Lumb.
E: Tom Burrows.
Reckon that's all in order tbh.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
8-)

Do you actually have a life, Richard?
This is a cricket forum, where one discussing cricket ffs, and as far as I can tell this thread fits that criteria, just because you may not agree with Richard you don't have to respond to all of his posts in the same sniping fashion.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ok - so who's hacked into Richard's user name? There is evidence to suggest a Sussex supporter may be involved

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Reckon that's all in order tbh.
How did you work that one out? Imran Tahir took a ****load of wickets but is a 'C1'. Rory Kleinveldt who isn't proven back home in South Africa let alone in England, played all of one game despite signing a two month contract but is also a 'C1'.

Also, Michael Brown was one Hampshire's best batsman all season yet his done nothing for the county or indeed the game other than score more runs than the apparently imperious John Crawley - who funny enough did Sweet FA all year.