• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England Squad Thread

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Walcott's an impact sub though, that's a pretty handy element for a World Cup side. As poor as he is, and personally I really don't rate him, he's the only man in the 30 to have filled that role in the past. Only in one game this season, but over his career he's done it quite a few times. Potentially could've been England's David Odonkor.

I suppose they have Joe Cole/Aaron Lennon to come off the bench though.
As are the two players that play in his position and in exactly the same way.

I wouldn't have taken Walcott to the WC, he seems to have lost confidence so that now when he gets the ball he can't make up his mind what to do with it.

At least with Lennon you know he has that confidence and SWP as an impact will outpace any left back even if he's too intent on running with the ball he runs it out for a goal kick everytime.

Cole > Johnson so much. If it was a WC2012, then I'd probably think the other way around, in that it's a touch too early for Johnson and Cole has something like the Ronaldo 'arrogant class skill' that no other English player has.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lets face it,whoever we pick isn't going to be good enough to win us the tournament anyway as we just don't have the class to win it.As soon as we meet a top side like Spain we will get hammered as they will pass us off the park and we'll be chasing shadows.

No doubt we will not get far enough to meet them as we will lose on penalties in the quarters.

As for what he did pick,slightly surprised at Warnock over Baines but hopefully it won't matter anyway if Cole is fit.Walcott is the big shock but he has hardly played all season and you can't live off a great game 18 months ago,then again Barnes managed a career off one.

Jarquis

Upson, Carrick and SWP all make me feel slightly queasy. Oh and Carragher, but RB is hardly our storngest position anyway.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Don't actually have a huge issue with Theo missing out, myself. He's lightening, yes, but the end product is regressing, if anything. Taking SWP ahead of Johnson peculiar tho. Wright-Phillips's touch is genuinely woeful for a supposed international player. My guess is that he's perhaps optimistically seen as a third right back.

Warnock getting the reserve LB gig without playing a minute against Mexico or Japan mildly odd too; Baines effectively played himself out of the squad, it seems.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Carrick's rank. Honestly don't see what there is to him as a player.
He's the best player England have when it comes to ball retention for starters. The fact that I'm saying that speaks volumes for how bad England's midfield is.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
He's the best player England have when it comes to ball retention for starters. The fact that I'm saying that speaks volumes for how bad England's midfield is.
Kind of hard to lose the ball when you're passing it back to the defence all of the time tbh.

Matteh

Hollywood passing will eventually lead to a goal.
Passing back to the defence will eventually cause millions to hang themselves out of boredom.

Agent TBY

International Captain
Especially when about half those passes go to Rio who in turn passes it back to the goalie all the time.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
SWP's always been decent for England is why he's got in. Don't think it's about being backup RB. It's that he's always looked decent if anything and provided an impact from the bench. If Walcott's not going to start you'd want someone who's dependable on the bench and he gives that.

Cole's bit of energy against Japan probably sealed his ticket.

Baines apparently homesick and the pressure got to him apparently. Sucks for him.