• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England Squad Thread

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sorry, since when does running with the ball until you get tackled 90 times out of 100 then 9 times out of the 10 you don't get tackled running out of pitch and once in a blue moon getting a cross in count as "always looking decent"?

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Which highlights how much of a non-factor Walcott has been I would think.

Total exaggerations there anyway and I'm in no way a fan of SWP. He's scored in two recent internationals as well which aided his cause as well as providing some bit of spark off the bench. Deserves his spot over Walcott at least. Beckham would get in ahead though if he was fit.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Not exaggerations if you've watched him in his International career. How he gets ahead of Johnson I don't know, seeing as Mancini's worked it out at Man City (and seeing as Johnson offers something down either wing)

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Capello's tried SWP on the left and think favours him a backup there (even though he was fairly gash in that game).

I'd take SWP over Walcott as the useless but speedy option on the right based entirely on a few more England caps/goals rather than anything tangible. Would've taken Beckham over both of them as with Lennon already in the side, you've got that pacey winger option sorted anyway really.

social

Not exaggerations if you've watched him in his International career. How he gets ahead of Johnson I don't know, seeing as Mancini's worked it out at Man City (and seeing as Johnson offers something down either wing)
Johnson is light years ahead of SWP - different class in both my and Mancini's opinion

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Johnson's miles better. I can only guess that Capello wants some pace to bring off the bench. Personally I think Walcott>SWP in that particular role, but both are bad at football so it's a bit of a non-issue. I'd probably just have brought Johnson as backup.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Certainly seems that way, by no means definitive mind you. Plenty of first choice keepers from previous World Cups have worn numbers other than number 1.

Will be quite happy if James is first choice to be honest. If Hart had more international experience I would have gone with him, but to make his competitive international debut in the World Cup itself would be an unprecedented and somewhat risky move. Rob Green is just rubbish. So therefore James is probably the best option for mine, despite all of his faults and dodgy moments I'd still rate him as a very competent choice.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Am slightly curious as to why David Beckham is actually taking part in training with the England Squad. I know he's there to help with the atmosphere etc...but is there any real need for him to be taking part in training? Fair enough if he wants to or whatever, just strikes me as being a bit perculiar.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
As the age of the squad is only 0.1 older than Brazil's and marginally older than Italy's, two nations who are amongst the favourites, I'm not overly bothered by this statistic tbh. It's not like you can really make a case for most of these players being past it in any way.

What irks me a lot more is the constant references that are made to 1966. The media and people in general seem to have a fetish with it, get over it for god's sake. Constantly bringing that up is not going to do any good, it's best forgotten about.

Jarquis

Haha, yeah. My post was in jest. I don't think having an average age of a 28.6 is a particularly bad thing. If it was >30 then you might have a few worries but it's really a meaningless statistic.

Matteh

Ferdinand confirmed as out of the World Cup, Dawson's confirmed as heading for the plane.

Of all the people to get injured, this is about the most perfect one.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
This is unreal. I was joking only a few months ago that I hope somehow Gerrard gets the captaincy and Carra gets back in the team...:laugh: