• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England Squad Thread

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Yea yea just putting it out there & yes i deserves its own thread. Once all are fit the best 23 IMO:

GOAL-KEEPERS:

1. Green
2. Hart
3. Robinson

DEFENDERS:

4. Terry (c)
5. Ferdinand
6. Upson
7. King*
8. A Cole
9. Johnson
10. Bridge

MID-FIDLERS:

11. Gerrard
12. Lampard
13. Barry
14. Hargreaves*
15. Carrick
16. J Cole
17. Walcott
18. Lennon
19. Beckham

STRIKERS:

20. Rooney
21. Heskey
22. Owen
23. Defoe

* If King & Hargreaves dont make it. Replacements IMO should be Wes Brown & Darren Bent.

OTHER CLOSE SQUAD POSSIBILITIES:

- James
- Foster
- Woodgate
- Gibbs
- Milner
- Agbonlahor
- A Young
- Downing (dont rate him, but i know Capello will have an eye on him)
- Crouch

KING: Obviously given his injury record which prevents him from playing consectively makes his place the biggest issue. But my position on him is that well, given that he is not going to be 1st choice - but rather as back-up to Terry/Rio i'd say if come July if he is fit enough have him in the squad at least. Surely during the tournament at some point he will be fit, since lets be frank although Upson has been going well if an injury to Terry/Rio occurs presuming ENG go far (QF or SF), i'd want to see King coming in as replacement.

HARGREAVES: Presuming he returns soon & plays well is amust pick. I have him down as not only as a challenger to Barry to partner Lampard in mid-field, but also as back-up right-back to Johnson.

OWEN: Definately has to go, his hat-trick in champions league proves he is still got it. But i continue to fear Capello wont pick him & he will go for two short strikers (Rooney/Defoe) & two tall strikers (Heskey & Bent/Crouch).

AFAIC Heskey is the only target man that should go. If he cant play i see no reason why ENG can't be effective with two of Rooney & Defoe/Owen up front in the 4-4-2 formation.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Short of injury there's no way on god's earth James won't go.

Wes Brown will go too, because he covers right-back and centre-half.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
OWEN: Definately has to go, his hat-trick in champions league proves he is still got it. But i continue to fear Capello wont pick him & he will go for two short strikers (Rooney/Defoe) & two tall strikers (Heskey & Bent/Crouch).
Nope, Owen should and won't play for this "ENG" ever again IMO. A hat-trick against a side that threw players forwards and defended badly, one of which was a tap-in at the back post which you would expect any half-decent Premiership striker to be in position for.

Pace gone and so his lack of any upper-body strength and complete absence of a left foot make him a no-no. Also not sure how tall Darren Bent is, but in comparison to Rooney he's an absolute lightweight.

Ledley King cannot go, either, even if there is a miraculous return from injury. If he's going to sit on the bench, may as well have someone solid like Upson there.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
If we're looking for a bolter I think it'll be big Sol. Few noises coming from New Highbury suggest he'll be in the red and white again before the end of January.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Nope, Owen should and won't play for this "ENG" ever again IMO. A hat-trick against a side that threw players forwards and defended badly, one of which was a tap-in at the back post which you would expect any half-decent Premiership striker to be in position for.
Haa, so when Ronaldo used to bang home goals againts the weak sides it was seen as key facet in putting away those weak sides (something if Liverpool had done last season they may won the league). But when Owen does it proving he still can score goals its a problem?. Sensing a bit of a double standard.

Even so Owen has clealry looked good for Man U this season, far more dangerous than Berbatov mind you. He doesn't have to start, but in big match situation in the world cup he is top man for Capello to have on the bench.

Pace gone and so his lack of any upper-body strength and complete absence of a left foot make him a no-no.
Lack of left peg hasn't ever affected Beckham so i dont see what thats an issue. Owen game as a striker is not about strenght either - but at the same time he is no lightweight either. He will get into great goal-scoring positions.

The pace issue is over-rated IMO, germany will likely take a man like Klose to WC who has similar pace to Owen but inferior to Owen skill wise & he will be KEY player for them.

Also not sure how tall Darren Bent is, but in comparison to Rooney he's an absolute lightweight.
Yea thats why i say Heskey is the only target man that should go. More reason to pick Owen.

Ledley King cannot go, either, even if there is a miraculous return from injury. If he's going to sit on the bench, may as well have someone solid like Upson there.
Upson will be their. My argument is not whether he returns from injury he wont, his injury makes it impossible for him to play consectively. So i'm suggesting as the 2nd back-up defender anyway since presuming ENG get to the big matches he if one of Terry/Rio gets injured he remains the 3rd best defender in the land. Surely at some point during the WC he will be fit to last a game as he is ever other week for Spurs..

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Short of injury there's no way on god's earth James won't go.
2-3 months ago i'd say that but not anymore. Really worry about him age wise ATM, Robinson has been looking close to his "pre-Zagreb horror night" best & he has international experience like James. So i'd go for him.

Wes Brown will go too, because he covers right-back and centre-half.
Yea this will likely happen. But i cant help but hold out hope for Big Ledley..

Last edited:

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Don't like multiquoting, but will have to here...

Haa, so when Ronaldo used to bang home goals againts the weak sides it was seen as key facet in putting away those weak sides (something if Liverpool had done last season they may won the league). But when Owen does it proving he still can score goals its a problem?. Sensing a bit of a double standard.

Even so Owen has clealry looked good for Man U this season, far more dangerous than Berbatov mind you. He doesn't have to start, but in big match situation in the world cup he is top man for Capello to have on the bench.
Can't see how I can have double-standards when I've not argued anything like that re. Ronaldo before, but even so, Owen scores one (one!) hattrick against a Bundesliga defence, in a game that Wolfsburg had to throw players forward and which Owen capitalised on. Otherwise he's hardly looked threatening and has been sparsely used, behind possibly the most ungratefully talented striker that has ever existed. Says it all really. He's hardly going to be the impact sub you want anyway - nondescript striker with no pace, size or weight.

Lack of left peg hasn't ever affected Beckham so i dont see what thats an issue. Owen game as a striker is not about strenght either - but at the same time he is no lightweight either. He will get into great goal-scoring positions.
Yes, he still has the poacher's instinct in the box, but it's only highlighted because he's Michael Owen, and he has history. Lots was made about the tap-in in the Champions League, but any decent striker should have been alert enough to take up that position. Beckham has a left foot and will use it when he has too, although obviously playing wide on the right, having one of the best right feet of all time means he rarely has to use his left. Owen has absolutely no left foot - I've actually spoken to his high school coach (sorry to namedrop, know his son), who said from a very early stage you could see it would be his biggest shortcoming. And once you become aware of it, it's so, so noticeable in games. The fact that he has no pace anymore, makes it even more obvious and a greater hinderance.

The pace issue is over-rated IMO, germany will likely take a man like Klose to WC who has similar pace to Owen but inferior to Owen skill wise & he will be KEY player for them.
His game isn't about strength - agreed - so what it is about then? He is a lightweight too, that's not his fault, but it's not an attribute without pace.

We all saw what a great European Championships Klose had last year as well... but even if he is 'inferior skill wise', I think I'd know who I'd take between the two right now. Owen's game has relied on pace for so long; Klose at least has a bit more presence. If people take '98 and Munich out of the equation and remember Owen has done nothing for several years now, they'd only draw one conclusion.

I think I know why I don't tend to wade into the football threads on here now...

BoyBrumby

Englishman
2-3 months ago i'd say that but not anymore. Really worry about him age wise ATM, Robinson has been looking close to his "pre-Zagreb horror night" best & he has internal experience like James. So i'd go for him.
Let's hope Fab hasn't tuned into tonight's game. Sounds as if Robbo has relapsed somewhat. :ph34r:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Not with that squad you picked.

Fortunately Fabio has more sense than you so there's no danger of that being the 23.
Haa man dont make this about me Marco, Fabio has more sense that all of us. Why dont you post what you think your 23-man squad should be??

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
James
Green
Hart

Johnson
Brown
Ferdinand
Terry
Upson
A Cole
Warnock

Barry
Beckham
Hargreaves (if fit)
Milner
J Cole
Lampard
Gerrard
Lennon
Walcott

Rooney
C Cole
Heskey
Defoe

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
James
Green
Hart

Johnson
Brown
Ferdinand
Terry
Upson
A Cole
Warnock

Barry
Beckham
Hargreaves (if fit)
Milner
J Cole
Lampard
Gerrard
Lennon
Walcott

Rooney
C Cole
Heskey
Defoe
8-) Haa you got basically got the same squad as mine & "Capello has more sense than me". So i guess both of are dumb-asses now :laugh:, yo GTFOH

How is Warnock worth a place ahead of Bridge as a back-up LB. He certainly behind Gibbs & Baines in the pecking order. Thats far less defensible than picking Owen or King..

What makes C Cole better than Bent?

Milner & no Carrick?

James vs Robinson is debatable. I'm in the Robbo camp ATM

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Bloody hard to get a 23 together. Got a good core of 15 or so players but when it comes to GK and forwards, you are scrapping the barrel.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, when I discussed this with a couple of mates, we came to the conclusion that if we get a good run injury-wise, we might do well. A couple of injuries, say goodnight. Bit like Liverpool last season.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Which explains why most squads will look similar.

However any squad that includes the likes of King and Owen are so off the mark as to be not funny.

As for Milner not being there but Carrick being there, well that's pure fantasy.

And Gibbs & Baines > Warnock? WTF?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Which explains why most squads will look similar.

However any squad that includes the likes of King and Owen are so off the mark as to be not funny.
Haa if Owen being picked is a joke. I dont know what to call you having Warnock over Bridge.

Capello & Redknapp clearly has King in their thoughts thoughts & the reasons i gave for possibly picking King they themselves have given. So no their is nothing funny about considering King as an option for the WC.

As for Milner not being there but Carrick being there, well that's pure fantasy.
Whats the sense picking Milner when we both have included 4 wingers in Becks/J Cole/Walcott/Lennon.?? Why do you want 5 wingers.

Okay Milner has been playing in centre for Villa alot of late since Downing has returned but he isn't a better CM option than Carrick. Carrick is back-up to Barry & given we cant be certain about Hargreaves, it makes Carrick's spot even more safe.

And Gibbs & Baines > Warnock? WTF?
Warnock is not international quality i dont know what you have been watching. Gibbs is the future & clearly is better than Warnock. Baines also is better than Warnock & is much more likely to be international quality than Warnock based on what i've seen of them.

Warnock is about as good as Nick Shorey. The real WTF & joke here is you picking Warnock as back-up LB instead of Bridge. :laugh:

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Not enough Villa love in Aussie's team.

Also, LOL at Paul Robinson getting a spot: neighbours character > english goalkeeper.