• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I know right. Was on the news. From a radio live phone interview with the big man himself.
Well if he wants to...better than being forced to. And makes the whole opening and middle order congestion problem a little bit easier. Whether or not he can handle it, we'd have to wait and see.

Last edited:

NZTailender

Looks as though they aren't going to chop Guptill just yet. Why not send him home from the ODIs now so he can play some FC cricket?

Does this mean we could see
1. J Ryder
2. M Guptill
3. K Williamson
4. R Taylor/B McCullum
5. B McCullum/R Taylor
6. D Brownlie
7. BJ Watling+
8. D Vettori
9. D Bracewell
10. T Southee
11.T Boult?

:wacko:

Last edited:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Also, I know it's unusual for NZ fans to seemingly have an entire competent seam attack but you're getting a bit ahead of yourselves to say you've got the edge over England. I mean, c'mon.
Yeah, that's fair. I probably was a bit rash with my reaction to Vaughan's comments.

I was mostly just taking exception to the fact that he casually made that statement, without even acknowledging that it's one of our (VERY few) strengths at the moment.

In giving reasons why England are superior to NZ, why only pick the one department where we're actually pretty decent and come the closest to England in terms of skill levels? The gulf between the two sides is MUCH smaller in seam bowling than it is in every other department.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Looks as though they aren't going to chop Guptill just yet. Why not send him home from the ODIs now so he can play some FC cricket?

Does this mean we could see
1. J Ryder
2. M Guptill
3. K Williamson
4. R Taylor/B McCullum
5. B McCullum/R Taylor
6. D Brownlie
7. BJ Watling+
8. D Vettori
9. D Bracewell
10. T Southee
11.T Boult?

:wacko:
good team tbh

NZTailender

**** me dead Athlai, jesus ****ing christ

But seriously, even if it's not true, having thought it was the go doesn't make it seem that unfathomable now.

otagoman

School Boy/Girl Captain
Although Guptill has been in terrible form, both he and Williamson show a huge desire in representing New Zealand, so I hope they both remain in the team.

This would be my lineup

1) Peter Fulton - he was supposed to open vs South Africa, so he wins the position by default. I wouldn't mind Franklin opening to be honest, when he plays straight he can look good, and he would be a left hander to try and unsettle the bowlers lines. His height should enable him to get forward and avoid LBWs. Only negative for Franklin is he hasn't opened
2) Martin Guptill -
3) Kane Williamson - I would prefer him at 4 as he is potentially our best bat, however he is more likely to succeed at 3 than any of the other batsmen
4) Ross Taylor
5) Brendan McCullum
6) BJ Watling
7) Jesse Ryder - Jesse currently is looking to bash everything, so is probably a better bet to bat with the tail...he is there for a good time, and not a long time. If he however bats how he did a few seasons back, he would bat at 4 for me with everyone else sliding down
8) Daniel Vettori - NZ pitches don't really turn, so his ability to tie up an end and drift into the pads give him the nod.
9) Doug Bracewell - needs some wickets to remain in the team - and some runs to stay ahead of Southee in the order
10) Tim Southee
11) Trent Boult

Backups
Spinner - Bruce Martin
Middle Order Bat - Dean Brownlie
Pace - Mitchell McClenaghan
Keeper - Luke Ronchi
Opener - Hamish Rutherford

NZTailender

Although Guptill has been in terrible form, both he and Williamson show a huge desire in representing New Zealand, so I hope they both remain in the team.

This would be my lineup

1) Peter Fulton - he was supposed to open vs South Africa, so he wins the position by default. I wouldn't mind Franklin opening to be honest, when he plays straight he can look good, and he would be a left hander to try and unsettle the bowlers lines. His height should enable him to get forward and avoid LBWs. Only negative for Franklin is he hasn't opened

7) Jesse Ryder - Jesse currently is looking to bash everything, so is probably a better bet to bat with the tail...he is there for a good time, and not a long time. If he however bats how he did a few seasons back, he would bat at 4 for me with everyone else sliding down
im not saying he should be playing against england but this is why u need to keep kids like this in the setup. there's a lot the newer guys can learn from patel plus he's still pretty young himself

Off Break Spin - YouTube
All very novel ideas.

Flem274*

123/5
We're utterly ****ed, so it's probably that time again where we randomly win a test out of nowhere then revert to type.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
It was good to hear that test cricket is the game Jesse cares most about. I think he could open in tests. He has a very efficient technique when he's not trying to smash everything. Still, we should probably just pick an opener to open.

I suppose I don't mind the selectors sticking it out with Guptill for a little while.

They've really gotta pick someone better than Franklin and Munro though. Even Grant Elliot looks a good choice next to them.