• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

BeeGee

International Captain
Also, I know it's unusual for NZ fans to seemingly have an entire competent seam attack but you're getting a bit ahead of yourselves to say you've got the edge over England. I mean, c'mon.
Ha Ha, who said that?

England are a better team than NZ in every respect. By a wide margin.

But this tour thread is going to be boring without some bombastic, jingoistic hyperbole. So...

Southee is the best bowler in world cricket and he's gonna own you bitches. :ph34r:

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ha Ha, who said that?
Vaughan said the "English seamers have superior skill levels to NZ"
Yeah, I remember seeing that at the time. But while Anderson is obviously a class above, I'm not sure I agree with his assessment of the seamers' skill levels.
I think with Southee back our seamers are actually on a par. The difference is their batting - particularly top order which features Cook who is an all time great.

BeeGee

International Captain
Vaughan said the "English seamers have superior skill levels to NZ"
To be fair, neither of them said NZ had the edge.

If I was picking a combined NZ/Eng team for NZ conditions it would look like this:

AN Cook*
NRD Compton
IJL Trott
KP Pietersen
LRPL Taylor
IR Bell
MJ Prior†
GP Swann
SCJ Broad
JM Anderson
ST Finn

So only the one Kiwi in Taylor.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
To be fair, neither of them said NZ had the edge.

If I was picking a combined NZ/Eng team for NZ conditions it would look like this:

AN Cook*
NRD Compton
IJL Trott
KP Pietersen
LRPL Taylor
IR Bell
MJ Prior†
GP Swann
SCJ Broad
JM Anderson
ST Finn

So only the one Kiwi in Taylor.
Haha yeah indeed. The second opening spot and the two non-Anderson seamers the only real debatable picks I guess. The latter probably depends on whether you think Broad has declined or was just struggling with injury/poor form in India. I do think Southee is better than Finn but with him being so similar to Anderson and Broad, picking Finn as the third seamer makes sense. I'm a Compton fan so I'd pick him ahead of Root and McCullum but I'm sure you'll get some opposition to that as well.

BeeGee

International Captain
Haha yeah indeed. The second opening spot and the two non-Anderson seamers the only real debatable picks I guess. The latter probably depends on whether you think Broad has declined or was just struggling with injury/poor form in India. I do think Southee is better than Finn but with him being so similar to Anderson and Broad, picking Finn as the third seamer makes sense. I'm a Compton fan so I'd pick him ahead of Root and McCullum but I'm sure you'll get some opposition to that as well.
Yeah, the Finn selection is the really debatable one since there are so many options... Southee, Onions, Tremlett. I'm sticking with Finn.

The problem I have with picking Southee in that team is that he was so bad for so long that I'm not convinced his recent good form is a complete turn around. This is going to be a big series for him to prove that recent form isn't just an aberration.

Last edited:

African Monkey

U19 Vice-Captain
At least Mcintosh could hang around for a bit, as ugly as his batting was, plus he is a natural opening bat. Wouldn't be the worst guy to bring back.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would have Southee in ahead of Broad tbh given the former's massive improvement over the past year or so.
You mean based on 3 matches against Sri Lanka and India, you'd take the guy averaging 35 over the guy who averages a chunk less, is also a far better batsman and has been just as good over 2 years even including the injured period?

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
England Last Bilateral Series H+A (eng first)

H,A
SA 2-2, 2-1
AUS 4-0, 1-6
WI 2-0, 3-2
PAK 3-2, 4-0
IND 3-0, 0-5 (1-1 current)
SL 3-2, 3-2
Bang 2-1, 3-0
NZ 1-3, 1-3

1) You can see why England got to number 1
2) NZ the only team having won last series against Eng home and away (albeit both in 2008)

NZ always seem to have the upper hand over England in recent times in ODI cricket. Not so in T20 (Eng won 5/6)

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
You mean based on 3 matches against Sri Lanka and India, you'd take the guy averaging 35 over the guy who averages a chunk less, is also a far better batsman and has been just as good over 2 years even including the injured period?
I dunno. Yes if you look at their overall record in the past 2 years, it's absolutely no contest at all. But hypothetically, say Southee had been picked for England against India, and bowled as well on as he did for New Zealand in India and SL. Would you be dropping him to bring Broad back into the side for the New Zealand series?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
lol @ people trying to argue for NZ against SP. May as well try and knock down a brick wall by throwing watermelons at it.

In any case, this should be a cakewalk for England, if you're as good as you say you are.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
i really cant see us winning, but we should be able to knock up a draw because a) we will be batting on roads and b) its probably going to rain for a couple of days

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think New Zealand are more likely to win a Test than draw one unless it rains actually, because the bowling attacks of both teams are really quite good and New Zealand's batting is terrible. If it rains then that changes though obviously.

jcas0167

International Debutant
I dunno. Yes if you look at their overall record in the past 2 years, it's absolutely no contest at all. But hypothetically, say Southee had been picked for England against India, and bowled as well on as he did for New Zealand in India and SL. Would you be dropping him to bring Broad back into the side for the New Zealand series?
Indeed, Southee's form in the past 6 months has been on a different level to his earlier performances. He is a classic example of someone Bond was referring to whose test game had been badly affected by T20 & ODI cricket.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
England Last Bilateral Series H+A (eng first)

H,A
SA 2-2, 2-1
AUS 4-0, 1-6
WI 2-0, 3-2
PAK 3-2, 4-0
IND 3-0, 0-5 (1-1 current)
SL 3-2, 3-2
Bang 2-1, 3-0
NZ 1-3, 1-3

1) You can see why England got to number 1
2) NZ the only team having won last series against Eng home and away (albeit both in 2008)

NZ always seem to have the upper hand over England in recent times in ODI cricket. Not so in T20 (Eng won 5/6)
Think that's purely a function of when the series were played - NZ were good at ODIs in 2008 and England were terrible. We suddenly stopped being good at ODIs around 2009 and they're arguably our weakest form of the game at present (and that's saying something).

England now seem to be quite good at ODIs; there is something inherently wrong about that statement.

NZTailender

I'm looking forward to seeing Trott and Anderson do their thang. I just hope we can upgrade from losing disgracefully to losing after competing.

NZTailender

I think New Zealand are more likely to win a Test than draw one unless it rains actually, because the bowling attacks of both teams are really quite good and New Zealand's batting is terrible. If it rains then that changes though obviously.
Yeah our best chance would be a Bracewell-in-Hobart performance, to steal it out from underneath England. Come to think of it, didn't Mills do that last time round?

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Anyway, England should and surely will dominate the tests.

We should at least be more competitive if we get at least 3/4 of Taylor, Southee, Vettori and Ryder in the XI. And some seaming wickets where 250 is a par score plz.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Anyway, England should and surely will dominate the tests.

We should at least be more competitive if we get at least 3/4 of Taylor, Southee, Vettori and Ryder in the XI. And some seaming wickets where 250 is a par score plz.
do you really want another 45?