• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

jcas0167

International Debutant
Could Ronchi do a Bryan Young and turn into an test opener? Could Brownlie open? I want these guys in the team and don't want to mess with Watling after his successful transition to keeping.

1. L Ronchi (want to play for NZ? Well, this is where we need help brah!)
2. B McCullum
3. R Taylor
4. K Williamson (looking way too vulnerable at no3, but too good to leave out. Maybe even could move to no 5 like Michael Clarke)
5. D Brownlie
6. B Watling+
7. Neesham/Munro/de Grandhomme
8. D Bracewell
9. T Southee
10. B Martin
11. T Boult

12th man. McClenaghan

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Think you have the wrong C Cachopa.
It's Carl with that average, but I missed out the more in form of them which is Craig. He has 611 @ 67.88. Brad is averaging 20, if anyone is wondering too.

Also forgot about Anderson. When is he expected to return? Possibly a better option for the AR spot than Neesh, def better than Astle.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Redmond got 83 at Adelaide then was replaced by McIntosh. I wouldn't mind seeing him get another go, or Papps.
Ah that's right. Who knows, that combo may work :huh:

These are all the partnership combos since the start of 2000 by players who are still playing:
MJ Guptill, BB McCullum 605 @ 28.80 2 century stands
JM How, AJ Redmond 373 @ 26.64 2 fifty stands
TG McIntosh, BJ Watling 286 @ 40.85 3 fifty stands
DR Flynn, MJ Guptill 232 @ 46.40 2 fifty stands
BB McCullum, TG McIntosh 204 @ 29.14 1 century stand
MJ Guptill, TG McIntosh 200 @ 15.38 45 highest stand
PG Fulton, MHW Papps 84 @ 42.00 1 fifty stand
JM How, TG McIntosh 70 @ 17.50 33 highest stand
MJ Guptill, BJ Watling 65 @ 32.50 1 fifty stand
JAH Marshall, L Vincent 55 @ 27.50 34 highest stand
MJ Guptill, RJ Nicol 35 @ 8.75 16 highest stand
BB McCullum, MHW Papps 34 @ 34.00 34 highest stand
JM How, MHW Papps 9 @ 4.50 9 highest stand
MHW Papps, L Vincent 4 @ 4.00 4 highest score

Lots of combos, not much success. Only 9 century stands overall in 13 years (those include Richardson and folk).

jcas0167

International Debutant
Perhaps unfairly, this is my enduring memory of Papps at international level:
Brett Lee HOSTILE BOUNCERS to Michael Papps 3rd ODI 2005 - YouTube

He'd need to have improved against the short ball.
Yeah, I remember watching at the time Michael Slater had just been saying he liked the look of Papps, then bang! A shame as he had been quite promising.

There is a 4 day warm up game before the test series between a NZ XI and England. Could have a head to head with Guptill & Redmond opening with Papps at 3. Also a good chance to try Neesham, Munro & Anderson.

jcas0167

International Debutant
Ah that's right. Who knows, that combo may work :huh:

These are all the partnership combos since the start of 2000 by players who are still playing:
MJ Guptill, BB McCullum 605 @ 28.80 2 century stands
JM How, AJ Redmond 373 @ 26.64 2 fifty stands
TG McIntosh, BJ Watling 286 @ 40.85 3 fifty stands
DR Flynn, MJ Guptill 232 @ 46.40 2 fifty stands
BB McCullum, TG McIntosh 204 @ 29.14 1 century stand
MJ Guptill, TG McIntosh 200 @ 15.38 45 highest stand
PG Fulton, MHW Papps 84 @ 42.00 1 fifty stand
JM How, TG McIntosh 70 @ 17.50 33 highest stand
MJ Guptill, BJ Watling 65 @ 32.50 1 fifty stand
JAH Marshall, L Vincent 55 @ 27.50 34 highest stand
MJ Guptill, RJ Nicol 35 @ 8.75 16 highest stand
BB McCullum, MHW Papps 34 @ 34.00 34 highest stand
JM How, MHW Papps 9 @ 4.50 9 highest stand
MHW Papps, L Vincent 4 @ 4.00 4 highest score
Flynn & Guptill it is! Actually I remember thinking in that 3rd test against SA last season they would be the openers for a while but Flynn ended up back at no5.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Also, I know it's unusual for NZ fans to seemingly have an entire competent seam attack but you're getting a bit ahead of yourselves to say you've got the edge over England. I mean, c'mon.

Scaly piscine

Also, I know it's unusual for NZ fans to seemingly have an entire competent seam attack but you're getting a bit ahead of yourselves to say you've got the edge over England. I mean, c'mon.
Yep.

Whilst NZ's strength is overwhelmingly their seam bowling, they've got no depth at all and their best bowlers are a lot less consistent than Broad, Finn or whoever. Whilst Anderson is clearly a class above anything NZ have.

If they were fully fit England would have options such as Bresnan, Broad, Finn, Tremlett, Onions. They would all be first XI players in NZ's lineup, if not the best bowler.

Jarquis

Yep.

Whilst NZ's strength is overwhelmingly their seam bowling, they've got no depth at all and their best bowlers are a lot less consistent than Broad, Finn or whoever. Whilst Anderson is clearly a class above anything NZ have.

If they were fully fit England would have options such as Bresnan, Broad, Finn, Tremlett, Onions. They would all be first XI players in NZ's lineup, if not the best bowler.
Yep, no doubt some people will just rubbish Broad and Bresnan now though. I'll concede Bresnan as he's been absolutely nothing like he once was since his elbow troubles but Broad is still quality and was playing with big injury niggles in India.

Let's not forget that this is just comparing the seamers though and the difference between Swann and whatever nuffie NZ pick to throw down some spin is tremendous.