• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Listened to the drama on the radio in the train back from work. the radio kept cutting out - but managed to catch the two wickets at the death. I have no idea what Kane's ball to Panesar was like that permitted the single but the commentators were slightly disparaging (as much as commentators get) about it.

Surprised that Monty managed to drive Boult for a single that showed major Kahunas in that situation.

Did we delay our declaration too long another half hour at them might have been enough. Still hindsight is 20 20.

Was brownlie's catch easy for those who saw it?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Rankings time:

NZ
Fulton: 9/10
McCullum: 9/10
Williamson: 8/10
Boult: 7.5/10
Wagner: 7/10
Rutherford: 7/10
Watling 6/10
Southee 5.5/10
Martin 5/10
Brownlie 4/10
Taylor 4/10

ENG

Prior 9/10
Trott 8/10
Compton 7.5/10
Broad 7/10
Cook 7/10
Bell 6/10
Anderson 6/10
Finn 4/10
Root 4/10
Pietersen 4/10
Monty 2/10 (2 points for batting out the draw)

jcas0167

International Debutant
Oof Brownlie, he'll be feeling sick tonight. If he'd clung on to that chance from Bell, I reckon we would've wrapped the match up in the hour after lunch (with the tail being exposed to the new ball).
Yeah, and Prior on about 24 in the first innings (although did take a great catch to get rid of Cook). It's a cruel game sometimes. That is one area where Guptill really shines & was a key to the Hobart win.

I too am feeling pretty gutted now the adrenalin of those final overs has worn off - such a great chance to get a series win over England. It really was a great escape - as Derek Pringle points out:

This was only the third time in a Test match that a team had gone into the last day of a match four wickets down and avoided defeat.
the others were the Faf duplessis game before Christmas and Atherton's test in South African in 1995.

Last edited:

Howsie

International Captain
I think Trent Boult might be better than Tim Southee.

I honestly never thought I'd say that, I've always been of the opinion Southee was the better bowler of the two whilst also possessing a higher upside, but Boult has just been soooooooo good over the last nine months it isn't even funny. 41 wickets @ 30 and that doesn't even do him justice, should be 50 @ 25 and that's just the drop catches portion of it (not the going past the bat a million times without reward)

I've rated Boult as a serious bowler for years, believed he should've been playing test cricket 18 months earlier than what he was, and would become enraged after reading a "Neil Wagner will save NZ cricket" article whilst Boult got zero media attention. But not even I thought he'd be this good, not this early anyway. It's a big call but I genuinely believe he's nigh on being a top five pacer in the world already.

Гурин

School Boy/Girl Captain
It was gambhiring they said.

He was rubbish in the last 18 months they said.

Stupid Broad. I knew it would be you, my old nemesis. This is not over, see you next month

Immenso

International Vice-Captain
Yeah, and Prior on about 24 in the first innings (although did take a great catch to get rid of Cook). It's a cruel game sometimes. That is one area where Guptill really shines & was a key to the Hobart win.

I too am feeling pretty gutted now the adrenalin of those final overs has worn off - such a great chance to get a series win over England. It really was a great escape - as Derek Pringle points out:

the others were the Faf duplessis game before Christmas and Atherton's test in South African in 1995.
Well, that is a bull**** stat by Pringle. Probably technically correct, but bull****. What was NZ down in Perth overnight when Greatbatch saved the match? 6 down?

I may be wrong, archive doesn't tell me.

Edit: actually, archive does tell me. NZ were also 4 down at stumps on day 4. Perth, 1989

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5

I honestly never thought I'd say that, I've always been of the opinion Southee was the better bowler of the two whilst also possessing a higher upside, but Boult has just been soooooooo good over the last nine months it isn't even funny. 41 wickets @ 30 and that doesn't even do him justice, should be 50 @ 25 and that's just the drop catches portion of it (not the going past the bat a million times without reward)

I've rated Boult as a serious bowler for years, believed he should've been playing test cricket 18 months earlier than what he was, and would become enraged after reading a "Neil Wagner will save NZ cricket" article whilst Boult got zero media attention. But not even I thought he'd be this good, not this early anyway. It's a big call but I genuinely believe he's nigh on being a top five pacer in the world already.
I hope I told you so in some old thread somewhere, because I've certainly been thinking it. Though much of that tbf was when Southee was bowling puss and Boult was first gunning it when he came into the side.

edit: i think in this series Boult has become McCullum's senior bowler as well.

Though tbh the strength of our bowling will be in the trio. Southee/Boult the opening pack and we're going to have to see how Bracewell, Wagner, Milne, Wheeler and Henry sort themselves out.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

When you and I both rate the same player before he's made his Test debut then it's a good sign I reckon, given we seem to have such opposite tastes on anything marginal.

It's also a good sign for Kane Williamson.

And no other player ever.

Flem274*

123/5
When you and I both rate the same player before he's made his Test debut then it's a good sign I reckon, given we seem to have such opposite tastes on anything marginal.

I reckon the pair of you rate a fair few bowlers around the world tbh.

Very different tastes in batsmen though.:p

vandem

International 12th Man
Well, that is a bull**** stat by Pringle. Probably technically correct, but bull****. What was NZ down in Perth overnight when Greatbatch saved the match? 6 down?

I may be wrong, archive doesn't tell me.

Edit: actually, archive does tell me. NZ were also 4 down at stumps on day 4. Perth, 1989
I think the stat is about 4th innings, 4 wickets down.

In Perth we had followed on, so was the 3rd innings. Note the Aussie attack, 4 seamers ...

Only Test: Australia v New Zealand at Perth, Nov 24-28, 1989 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Howsie

International Captain
I hope I told you so in some old thread somewhere, because I've certainly been thinking it. Though much of that tbf was when Southee was bowling puss and Boult was first gunning it when he came into the side.

edit: i think in this series Boult has become McCullum's senior bowler as well.

Though tbh the strength of our bowling will be in the trio. Southee/Boult the opening pack and we're going to have to see how Bracewell, Wagner, Milne, Wheeler and Henry sort themselves out.
Yeah you could've, certainly remember debating about it with people in the past. Although that was waaaaaaay back when India were touring and the like. Southee was getting flogged by international batsmen and Boult was being allowed to develop in domestic cricket (because of his back injury you would assume).

Last edited:

Howsie

International Captain

Can you please start rating Corey Anderson, especially his bowling?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ah I feel like digging up a few posts referencing me and how great it would be to have a NZ series win to dig up. But I can't be bothered. Wow, England did it again. Despite Prior getting a lot of the credit, Bell did bat even longer. Unlucky NZ, unlucky Jono...

Now England need to take a good hard look at themselves, and whitewash NZ when they come over here.