Page 501 of 508 FirstFirst ... 401451491499500501502503 ... LastLast
Results 7,501 to 7,515 of 7611
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: ***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

  1. #7501
    International Coach Hurricane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Don't be jealous of the Georgie Pie super smash
    Posts
    12,901
    Listened to the drama on the radio in the train back from work. the radio kept cutting out - but managed to catch the two wickets at the death. I have no idea what Kane's ball to Panesar was like that permitted the single but the commentators were slightly disparaging (as much as commentators get) about it.

    Surprised that Monty managed to drive Boult for a single that showed major Kahunas in that situation.

    Did we delay our declaration too long another half hour at them might have been enough. Still hindsight is 20 20.

    Was brownlie's catch easy for those who saw it?
    I got great enjoyment shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    one day NZ will bring chappell to his knees in a puddle of his own tears and you'll see Phlegm on his belly greedily tasting every delicious tear before watching the hope fade from that old ****s eyes.
    Overrated XI Warner, Rutherford, Steve Smith, Rahane, Bairstow, Alecz Day, Donovan Grobelaar, Luke Ronchi, Faulkner, Dan Christian, Permaul

  2. #7502
    Cricketer Of The Year Bahnz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Posts
    9,549
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

  3. #7503
    International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mrs Miggins pie shop
    Posts
    14,015
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentOne View Post


    Very good.

  4. #7504
    Cricketer Of The Year Bahnz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Posts
    9,549
    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Was brownlie's catch easy for those who saw it?
    You can see it on Stuff. No slip catchy is easy, and it wasn't straight to him, but it was fairly regulation.
    Last edited by Bahnz; 26-03-2013 at 02:26 AM.


  5. #7505
    Cricketer Of The Year Bahnz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Posts
    9,549
    Rankings time:

    NZ
    Fulton: 9/10
    McCullum: 9/10
    Williamson: 8/10
    Boult: 7.5/10
    Wagner: 7/10
    Rutherford: 7/10
    Watling 6/10
    Southee 5.5/10
    Martin 5/10
    Brownlie 4/10
    Taylor 4/10

    ENG

    Prior 9/10
    Trott 8/10
    Compton 7.5/10
    Broad 7/10
    Cook 7/10
    Bell 6/10
    Anderson 6/10
    Finn 4/10
    Root 4/10
    Pietersen 4/10
    Monty 2/10 (2 points for batting out the draw)

  6. #7506
    U19 Captain jcas0167's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Wellington
    Posts
    610
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    Oof Brownlie, he'll be feeling sick tonight. If he'd clung on to that chance from Bell, I reckon we would've wrapped the match up in the hour after lunch (with the tail being exposed to the new ball).
    Yeah, and Prior on about 24 in the first innings (although did take a great catch to get rid of Cook). It's a cruel game sometimes. That is one area where Guptill really shines & was a key to the Hobart win.

    I too am feeling pretty gutted now the adrenalin of those final overs has worn off - such a great chance to get a series win over England. It really was a great escape - as Derek Pringle points out:

    This was only the third time in a Test match that a team had gone into the last day of a match four wickets down and avoided defeat.
    the others were the Faf duplessis game before Christmas and Atherton's test in South African in 1995.
    Last edited by jcas0167; 26-03-2013 at 02:53 AM.

  7. #7507
    International Captain Howsie's Avatar
    Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    5,693
    I think Trent Boult might be better than Tim Southee.

    I honestly never thought I'd say that, I've always been of the opinion Southee was the better bowler of the two whilst also possessing a higher upside, but Boult has just been soooooooo good over the last nine months it isn't even funny. 41 wickets @ 30 and that doesn't even do him justice, should be 50 @ 25 and that's just the drop catches portion of it (not the going past the bat a million times without reward)

    I've rated Boult as a serious bowler for years, believed he should've been playing test cricket 18 months earlier than what he was, and would become enraged after reading a "Neil Wagner will save NZ cricket" article whilst Boult got zero media attention. But not even I thought he'd be this good, not this early anyway. It's a big call but I genuinely believe he's nigh on being a top five pacer in the world already.
    Northern Districts
    Proudly supporting KS Williamson, TG Southee, TA Boult, DG Brownlie, BJ Watling, CJ Anderson, MJ Santner and IS Sodhi

  8. #7508
    School Boy/Girl Captain Гурин's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Gurin, Russia
    Posts
    199
    It was gambhiring they said.

    He was rubbish in the last 18 months they said.


    Stupid Broad. I knew it would be you, my old nemesis. This is not over, see you next month
    It's the pitch, stupid.

  9. #7509
    International Debutant Viscount Tom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Leeds, G.O.C.
    Posts
    2,556
    Broad's 6 the second longest 6 in tests.
    AT-XI
    #J.Hobbs; #L.Hutton; #D.Bradman; #V.Richards; #G.Sobers; #A.Border; #A.Gilchrist; #K.Miller; #I.Khan; #S.Warne; #M.Marshall;

  10. #7510
    State Vice-Captain Immenso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    1,078
    Quote Originally Posted by jcas0167 View Post
    Yeah, and Prior on about 24 in the first innings (although did take a great catch to get rid of Cook). It's a cruel game sometimes. That is one area where Guptill really shines & was a key to the Hobart win.

    I too am feeling pretty gutted now the adrenalin of those final overs has worn off - such a great chance to get a series win over England. It really was a great escape - as Derek Pringle points out:



    the others were the Faf duplessis game before Christmas and Atherton's test in South African in 1995.
    Well, that is a bull**** stat by Pringle. Probably technically correct, but bull****. What was NZ down in Perth overnight when Greatbatch saved the match? 6 down?

    I may be wrong, archive doesn't tell me.

    Edit: actually, archive does tell me. NZ were also 4 down at stumps on day 4. Perth, 1989
    Last edited by Immenso; 26-03-2013 at 03:30 AM.

  11. #7511
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    We all know Blocky
    Posts
    33,167
    Quote Originally Posted by Howsie View Post
    I think Trent Boult might be better than Tim Southee.

    I honestly never thought I'd say that, I've always been of the opinion Southee was the better bowler of the two whilst also possessing a higher upside, but Boult has just been soooooooo good over the last nine months it isn't even funny. 41 wickets @ 30 and that doesn't even do him justice, should be 50 @ 25 and that's just the drop catches portion of it (not the going past the bat a million times without reward)

    I've rated Boult as a serious bowler for years, believed he should've been playing test cricket 18 months earlier than what he was, and would become enraged after reading a "Neil Wagner will save NZ cricket" article whilst Boult got zero media attention. But not even I thought he'd be this good, not this early anyway. It's a big call but I genuinely believe he's nigh on being a top five pacer in the world already.
    I hope I told you so in some old thread somewhere, because I've certainly been thinking it. Though much of that tbf was when Southee was bowling puss and Boult was first gunning it when he came into the side.

    edit: i think in this series Boult has become McCullum's senior bowler as well.

    Though tbh the strength of our bowling will be in the trio. Southee/Boult the opening pack and we're going to have to see how Bracewell, Wagner, Milne, Wheeler and Henry sort themselves out.
    Last edited by Flem274*; 26-03-2013 at 03:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    in the future where we're all social justice-y Cribb can ride down the street to pick up some raw milk from Coles on a motorised esky while smoking meth, firing an RPG into the air, and carrying the case of British-import Stella he's polygamously (and privately) married alongside a genderfluid Zambian businessperson and a coke-snorting 18-year-old cyborg girl.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

  12. #7512
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    38,282
    Damn it! Would have been hilarious to have India ahead of England despite losing 7-1 to them in the last eight Test matches.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing

  13. #7513
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Cribbertopia
    Posts
    46,995
    Quote Originally Posted by Howsie View Post
    I think Trent Boult might be better than Tim Southee.

    I honestly never thought I'd say that, I've always been of the opinion Southee was the better bowler of the two whilst also possessing a higher upside, but Boult has just been soooooooo good over the last nine months it isn't even funny. 41 wickets @ 30 and that doesn't even do him justice, should be 50 @ 25 and that's just the drop catches portion of it (not the going past the bat a million times without reward)

    I've rated Boult as a serious bowler for years, believed he should've been playing test cricket 18 months earlier than what he was, and would become enraged after reading a "Neil Wagner will save NZ cricket" article whilst Boult got zero media attention. But not even I thought he'd be this good, not this early anyway. It's a big call but I genuinely believe he's nigh on being a top five pacer in the world already.
    When you and I both rate the same player before he's made his Test debut then it's a good sign I reckon, given we seem to have such opposite tastes on anything marginal.

    It's also a good sign for Kane Williamson.

    And no other player ever.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    Rejecting 'selection deontology' since Mar '15
    Moeen is a perfectly fine bowler FFS


  14. #7514
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    We all know Blocky
    Posts
    33,167
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    When you and I both rate the same player before he's made his Test debut then it's a good sign I reckon, given we seem to have such opposite tastes on anything marginal.

    It's also a good sign for Kane Williamson.

    And no other player ever.
    I reckon the pair of you rate a fair few bowlers around the world tbh.

    Very different tastes in batsmen though.

  15. #7515
    U19 Cricketer
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Ak, NZ (but supporting ND)
    Posts
    409
    Quote Originally Posted by Immenso View Post
    Well, that is a bull**** stat by Pringle. Probably technically correct, but bull****. What was NZ down in Perth overnight when Greatbatch saved the match? 6 down?

    I may be wrong, archive doesn't tell me.

    Edit: actually, archive does tell me. NZ were also 4 down at stumps on day 4. Perth, 1989
    I think the stat is about 4th innings, 4 wickets down.

    In Perth we had followed on, so was the 3rd innings. Note the Aussie attack, 4 seamers ...

    Only Test: Australia v New Zealand at Perth, Nov 24-28, 1989 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2013 Predictions
    By theegyptian in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 31-12-2013, 10:09 AM
  2. Ashes Cricket 2013 Announced
    By James in forum General
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 28-03-2013, 05:53 PM
  3. The 2013 Ashes - which players will keep their place?
    By Howe_zat in forum Ashes 2013/2014
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-01-2011, 04:40 AM
  4. IPL Contracts 2011 - 2013 for the "stars"
    By social in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 26-04-2010, 07:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •