Page 501 of 508 FirstFirst ... 401451491499500501502503 ... LastLast
Results 7,501 to 7,515 of 7611
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: ***Official*** England in New Zealand series 2013

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    Listened to the drama on the radio in the train back from work. the radio kept cutting out - but managed to catch the two wickets at the death. I have no idea what Kane's ball to Panesar was like that permitted the single but the commentators were slightly disparaging (as much as commentators get) about it.

Surprised that Monty managed to drive Boult for a single that showed major Kahunas in that situation.

Did we delay our declaration too long another half hour at them might have been enough. Still hindsight is 20 20.

Was brownlie's catch easy for those who saw it?
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

On top of a pile of money, surrounded by many beautiful women
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I can think of a list of Sydney Grade posters who would contribute a better average post than Bahnz.
    Maow like no one can hear you maowing.

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentOne View Post

Very good.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Was brownlie's catch easy for those who saw it?
    You can see it on Stuff. No slip catchy is easy, and it wasn't straight to him, but it was fairly regulation.
    Last edited by Bahnz; 26-03-2013 at 02:26 AM.

Rankings time:

NZ
    Fulton: 9/10
    McCullum: 9/10
    Williamson: 8/10
    Boult: 7.5/10
    Wagner: 7/10
    Rutherford: 7/10
    Watling 6/10
    Southee 5.5/10
    Martin 5/10
    Brownlie 4/10
    Taylor 4/10

ENG

Prior 9/10
    Trott 8/10
    Compton 7.5/10
    Broad 7/10
    Cook 7/10
    Bell 6/10
    Anderson 6/10
    Finn 4/10
    Root 4/10
    Pietersen 4/10
    Monty 2/10 (2 points for batting out the draw)

Quote Originally Posted by Bahnz View Post
    Oof Brownlie, he'll be feeling sick tonight. If he'd clung on to that chance from Bell, I reckon we would've wrapped the match up in the hour after lunch (with the tail being exposed to the new ball).
    Yeah, and Prior on about 24 in the first innings (although did take a great catch to get rid of Cook). It's a cruel game sometimes. That is one area where Guptill really shines & was a key to the Hobart win.

I too am feeling pretty gutted now the adrenalin of those final overs has worn off - such a great chance to get a series win over England. It really was a great escape - as Derek Pringle points out:

This was only the third time in a Test match that a team had gone into the last day of a match four wickets down and avoided defeat.
    the others were the Faf duplessis game before Christmas and Atherton's test in South African in 1995.
    Last edited by jcas0167; 26-03-2013 at 02:53 AM.

International Vice-Captain Howsie's Avatar
    Super Mario Rampage 1 Champion!
    I think Trent Boult might be better than Tim Southee.

I honestly never thought I'd say that, I've always been of the opinion Southee was the better bowler of the two whilst also possessing a higher upside, but Boult has just been soooooooo good over the last nine months it isn't even funny. 41 wickets @ 30 and that doesn't even do him justice, should be 50 @ 25 and that's just the drop catches portion of it (not the going past the bat a million times without reward)

I've rated Boult as a serious bowler for years, believed he should've been playing test cricket 18 months earlier than what he was, and would become enraged after reading a "Neil Wagner will save NZ cricket" article whilst Boult got zero media attention. But not even I thought he'd be this good, not this early anyway. It's a big call but I genuinely believe he's nigh on being a top five pacer in the world already.
    Northern Districts
    Proudly supporting KS Williamson, TG Southee, TA Boult, DR Flynn, BJ Watling, CJ Anderson and IS Sodhi

It was gambhiring they said.

He was rubbish in the last 18 months they said.

Stupid Broad. I knew it would be you, my old nemesis. This is not over, see you next month
    It's the pitch, stupid.

International Debutant Viscount Tom's Avatar
    Broad's 6 the second longest 6 in tests.
    AT-XI
    #J.Hobbs; #L.Hutton; #D.Bradman; #V.Richards; #G.Sobers; #A.Border; #A.Gilchrist; #K.Miller; #I.Khan; #S.Warne; #M.Marshall;

Quote Originally Posted by jcas0167 View Post
    Yeah, and Prior on about 24 in the first innings (although did take a great catch to get rid of Cook). It's a cruel game sometimes. That is one area where Guptill really shines & was a key to the Hobart win.

I too am feeling pretty gutted now the adrenalin of those final overs has worn off - such a great chance to get a series win over England. It really was a great escape - as Derek Pringle points out:

the others were the Faf duplessis game before Christmas and Atherton's test in South African in 1995.
    Well, that is a bull**** stat by Pringle. Probably technically correct, but bull****. What was NZ down in Perth overnight when Greatbatch saved the match? 6 down?

I may be wrong, archive doesn't tell me.

Edit: actually, archive does tell me. NZ were also 4 down at stumps on day 4. Perth, 1989
    Last edited by Immenso; 26-03-2013 at 03:30 AM.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Howsie View Post

I honestly never thought I'd say that, I've always been of the opinion Southee was the better bowler of the two whilst also possessing a higher upside, but Boult has just been soooooooo good over the last nine months it isn't even funny. 41 wickets @ 30 and that doesn't even do him justice, should be 50 @ 25 and that's just the drop catches portion of it (not the going past the bat a million times without reward)

I've rated Boult as a serious bowler for years, believed he should've been playing test cricket 18 months earlier than what he was, and would become enraged after reading a "Neil Wagner will save NZ cricket" article whilst Boult got zero media attention. But not even I thought he'd be this good, not this early anyway. It's a big call but I genuinely believe he's nigh on being a top five pacer in the world already.
    I hope I told you so in some old thread somewhere, because I've certainly been thinking it. Though much of that tbf was when Southee was bowling puss and Boult was first gunning it when he came into the side.

edit: i think in this series Boult has become McCullum's senior bowler as well.

Though tbh the strength of our bowling will be in the trio. Southee/Boult the opening pack and we're going to have to see how Bracewell, Wagner, Milne, Wheeler and Henry sort themselves out.
    Last edited by Flem274*; 26-03-2013 at 03:46 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Damn it! Would have been hilarious to have India ahead of England despite losing 7-1 to them in the last eight Test matches.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Howsie View Post

When you and I both rate the same player before he's made his Test debut then it's a good sign I reckon, given we seem to have such opposite tastes on anything marginal.

It's also a good sign for Kane Williamson.

And no other player ever.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    When you and I both rate the same player before he's made his Test debut then it's a good sign I reckon, given we seem to have such opposite tastes on anything marginal.

It's also a good sign for Kane Williamson.

And no other player ever.
    I reckon the pair of you rate a fair few bowlers around the world tbh.

Very different tastes in batsmen though.

U19 12th Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Immenso View Post
    Well, that is a bull**** stat by Pringle. Probably technically correct, but bull****. What was NZ down in Perth overnight when Greatbatch saved the match? 6 down?

I may be wrong, archive doesn't tell me.

Edit: actually, archive does tell me. NZ were also 4 down at stumps on day 4. Perth, 1989
    I think the stat is about 4th innings, 4 wickets down.

In Perth we had followed on, so was the 3rd innings. Note the Aussie attack, 4 seamers ...

Only Test: Australia v New Zealand at Perth, Nov 24-28, 1989 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Thread Information