• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in Bangladesh

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Isn't it just GIMH's thing just to be over-optimistic? Personally I fear it greatly if we went in with an under-strength side. Yet I think the changes we make will mostly depend on who wants and needs a rest. Any more then two or three changes would be inviting humiliation IMHO.

Would like to see Finn. or Taylor in the squad, because they both look good to me.

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Isn't it just GIMH's thing just to be over-optimistic? Personally I fear it greatly if we went in with an under-strength side. Yet I think the changes we make will mostly depend on who wants and needs a rest. Any more then two or three changes would be inviting humiliation IMHO.

Would like to see Finn. or Taylor in the squad, because they both look good to me.
Yeah agree, if we rest 5 or 6 I think we could be in real trouble, have already said I would play all the batsmen as I think there are reasons for tem all to play, Cook has just got back into form and needs to keep momentum as does Bell, Trott is still new to the side so they should all go. Then KP needs time in the middle so no way does he need a break, Strauss is captain and therefore has to play every test in my opinion. That maybe only leaves Collingwood as someone you might want to rest.

No one in their good mind would want to leave out Swann so maybe just Anderson or Broad.

Woodster

International Captain
No one in their good mind would want to leave out Swann so maybe just Anderson or Broad.
Graeme Swann bowled more overs in Test cricket than anyone else in the world in 2009, now if he is still feeling fresh and the management believe he is fresh and will be so when we travel to Australia at the end of another gruelling year (no clear way of knowing this yet), then yes, take him to Bangladesh. You would not leave Swann out of the side on form basis obviously, and because he has become so important for us, then the continued need to assess his physical/mental state is essential.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The subcontinent, even against Bangladesh, isn't the place to chuck in an inexperienced spinner IMO.

edit: I'm aware that Swann debuted there last year, however he was going there as the 2nd spinner to Panesar, and had plenty of FC experience.

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
The subcontinent, even against Bangladesh, isn't the place to chuck in an inexperienced spinner IMO.
Which incidentally is the continent in where a certain Graeme Swann debuted (in India) against a far more intimidating batting line-up (Gambhir, Sehwag, you know the rest). He was only experienced in first-class terms, but the step up to play against these guys must have been huge, yet he snaffled Gambhir, Dravid (1st inns), Sehwag and Laxman in the game.

I'm not suggesting it is necessarily ideal, but it is not something to drastically avoid.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah come on, being optimistic is my thing, take that away and all I've got is being a drunken idiot, let me have my gimmick please :ph34r:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member

edit: I'm aware that Swann debuted there last year, however he was going there as the 2nd spinner to Panesar, and had plenty of FC experience.
I can be risked in BAN - they still are a joke. AUS gave lame old Dan Cullen a debut there in 2006, plus Gareth Batty made his debut there in 2003. Comfortable wins both times, so no issue i'd ssy

On a different note with all this minor talk about the possible make up of the team to BANG. Why is Bopara's name getting called as possible batsman & not Morgan?

Cruxdude

International Debutant
I am one guy here who is hoping England rests some of their main players and end up losing. The Bangladeshi team seems to have improved with their batting. If their spinners get on a roll it would be good fun.

King Pietersen

International Captain
I wouldn't make any major changes. Possibly rest Collingwood and Anderson, but that's it. Strauss is England captain, it's a full-time job, he should play. I'd like to see us play an XI of:

Strauss
Cook
Trott
Pietersen
Bell
Prior +
Rashid
Broad
Swann
Davies
Onions

Could have gone in with the extra batsman, but we might as well give Rashid a go, but keep Swanny in place. Still got good enough depth of batting with Swanny still at 9 as well. I'd like to see a young batsman or 2 get into the squad also, someone like Eoin Morgan or James Taylor.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don't mind seeing Strauss get a rest because it would be good for Cook to get some captaincy experience in a 'proper' Test

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Done. Hope I didn't miss anything or accidentally move any of the Tahir/Parnell discussion into here. Let me know if I have.
Post #37 looks like a stray from the SA tour thread tbf.

I don't want to to be too dismissive of Bangladesh, but I can't help but think we're overestimating them a tad.

On our last tour (over 6 years ago now) we had Clarke & Read at #s 6 & 7 and in the second test a seam attack of Hoggard, Johnson, Saggers & the aforementioned Mr Clarke and still won by over 300 runs.

Even if we rest Anderson and Broad and replace them with (say) Sidebottom and Plunkett the bowling doesn't lose much in the comparison.

Woodster

International Captain
Post #37 looks like a stray from the SA tour thread tbf.

I don't want to to be too dismissive of Bangladesh, but I can't help but think we're overestimating them a tad.

On our last tour (over 6 years ago now) we had Clarke & Read at #s 6 & 7 and in the second test a seam attack of Hoggard, Johnson, Saggers & the aforementioned Mr Clarke and still won by over 300 runs.

Even if we rest Anderson and Broad and replace them with (say) Sidebottom and Plunkett the bowling doesn't lose much in the comparison.
I agree that I think certain people are overestimating Bangladesh. Outside of Zimbabwe, they have won one Test series against a seriously under-strength West Indies, and they were close games, I'm talking about resting 5 or 6, West Indies must have had 20 missing!

That particular game you mention, as you say was over 6 years ago, and there is probably only Mashrafe Mortaza that will still be playing against us this time around. I don't doubt that Bangladesh are a much improved side since then, but we still need to keep their recent performances in perspective.

FBU

International Debutant
I can't see anyone going to the IPL being rested for Bangladesh. The players have a month's rest before leaving.

Strauss
Cook
Trott
Pietersen
Collingwood
Bell
Prior
Swann
Broad
Anderson
Onions

reserves Plunkett, Shahzad, Rashid, Carberry.

Morgan, Wright and Bresnan to be added for the ODIs

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I wonder if Bangladesh will be resting any players when England tour? :dry:

1. Tamim Iqbal
2. Imral Keyes
3. Aftab Ahmed
4. Raqibul Hasan
5. Mohammad Ashraful
6. Shakib Al Hasan
7. Mushfiqur Rahim
8. Mahmudullah