• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in Bangladesh

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Rest Jimmy, Broad might get a rest as well if they pick a secon spinner who can bat, then we will go in with Onions, Sidebottom, Swann & 2nd Spinner then presumably Wright. Prior to bat at 6 or Davies if Prior wants a rest, but really he should be taking an enforced rest from the ODI's. Cook, Trott, Bell then any 2 batsmen, yep probably Carberry and Morgan maybe Ravi.
Don't like the idea of that bowling line-up. Asking a bit much of Wright to suddenly be first change, especially if we've got another bowler on debut too.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
What are you talking about, Sidebottom is first change. Swanneh = opens the bowling. :D

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Test leg I'm happy enough for anyone who fancies a couple of weeks off to not travel/play in IPL.

ODIs, everyone who is in serious contention for World Cup selection must play, particularly bowlers. It might only be Bangladesh, but any experience of subcontinental conditions is vital.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Cook
Carberry
Trott
Bell
Morgan
Prior (or Davies's understudy)
Wright
Rashid
Swann
Onions
Sidebottom

Davies
Plunkett?
Broad?
Another batsman?
If Prior stays who will go as the replacement keeper?

Guessing we've all assumed Colly's being rested?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Test leg I'm happy enough for anyone who fancies a couple of weeks off to not travel/play in IPL.

ODIs, everyone who is in serious contention for World Cup selection must play, particularly bowlers. It might only be Bangladesh, but any experience of subcontinental conditions is vital.
Yeah, agree 100%

And Marcuss, if anyone deserves a rest IMO it's Colly.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Really, who out of this match needs a rest?

Cook - no need, unlikely to play much in the ODIs or in the T20WC
Strauss - won't play IPL or T20WC
Trott - has only just got into the team, should stay there
KP - has had a lot of time out injured, someone will have to make a call on him I guess
Collingwood - probably has the best case for a rest, but will he want one?
Bell - only just back into the team, should stay there
Prior - shouldn't be playing the ODIs or T20, can rest then
Swann - probably could do with a rest, would prefer to rest him in ODIs though
Broad - again probably could do with a rest, although he is resting in the IPL.
Anderson - could do with a rest, again resting in the IPL though.
Onions - should play.

So basically, make sure Colly, Swann, Broad and Anderson get some form of a rest at some point, but I'd rather a mixture of tests and ODIs rather than all of them from tests.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well we can't play the same XI forever, someone will get injured, someone will fall out of form and I'd rather hand Carberry his second or third test cap after he's boshed a Bangladesh attack than give him his debut in an important match with no prior International experience.
It's not like we're replacing the players we're resting with Darren Maddy. They're a genuine part of the Test side.
I'm not advocating dropping the entire XI but IMHO Cook, Trott, Bell, Prior, Swann, Onions is enough to build a side capable of beating Bangladesh around.
It's likely that Strauss, KP, Colly, Broad and Anderson won't all be rested. I reckon Broad will play personally. Might be tempted to bat him 7.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Test leg is irrelevant other than some stats padding, ODI leg is the important part of this tour and is probably the most important ODI series between now and the world cup.

Woodster

International Captain
I am really enjoying this series and if we win it will be two great victories in a row but we do have to remember that just last year we were losing in the West Indies and that our strength in depth is probably not all that great. We need to make sure that we beat Bangladesh and to do so with certainty I think we need a fairly strong side. I don't think I would give any of the batsmen a rest (would give Strauss and maybe Collingwood a rest for ODI's though) as I can see good reasons for them all to play. We will need Swann so he has to go so the only two I would consider not taking would be Anderson and maybe Broad.
We cannot forget where we were 12 months ago, it is also clear though we have come quite a way in that time but still have a way to go. Our strength in depth is probably not great, so why wait till we're in an Ashes series, or another important series, to find out about the players in and around the squad. A trip to Bangladesh is a perfect opportunity to blood some fringe players, it is a series that, with all due respect to Bangladesh, we should win despite half of the side being rested. They have won a single Test at home (against Zimbabwe), and while they are continuing to improve, I would expect the XI we send out will be good enough.

We should still select a squad that the management believe will be good enough to win, it is a long term viewpoint, these players can bolster their chances of a call-up in the future should injury (or lack of form) occur.

You would not rest any of the batsmen and that's fair enough, personally I'd make a few changes to the batting, possibly keeping, and bowling unit.

I would think about the following changes, Rest - Strauss, Pietersen (?), Collingwood, Prior, Anderson, Swann.
In their places, althoguh I have not given it quite enough thought yet, but, In- Carberry, Morgan, Davies, Rashid, Tredwell, Sidebottom.

These are obviously not direct replacements, yet it also gives us the chance to experiment with the balance of the side, inevitably a couple of spinners will be selected. The players rested will depend on the physical and mental state of some of the squad, judgements we would not be privvy to.

This is a big year for England culminating in an Ashes series during the winter, if we can keep players as fresh as possible it must help our chances of conquering Bangladesh (home and away), Pakistan at home and Australia away.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
We cannot forget where we were 12 months ago, it is also clear though we have come quite a way in that time but still have a way to go. Our strength in depth is probably not great, so why wait till we're in an Ashes series, or another important series, to find out about the players in and around the squad. A trip to Bangladesh is a perfect opportunity to blood some fringe players, it is a series that, with all due respect to Bangladesh, we should win despite half of the side being rested. They have won a single Test at home (against Zimbabwe), and while they are continuing to improve, I would expect the XI we send out will be good enough.

We should still select a squad that the management believe will be good enough to win, it is a long term viewpoint, these players can bolster their chances of a call-up in the future should injury (or lack of form) occur.

You would not rest any of the batsmen and that's fair enough, personally I'd make a few changes to the batting, possibly keeping, and bowling unit.

I would think about the following changes, Rest - Strauss, Pietersen (?), Collingwood, Prior, Anderson, Swann.
In their places, althoguh I have not given it quite enough thought yet, but, In- Carberry, Morgan, Davies, Rashid, Tredwell, Sidebottom.

These are obviously not direct replacements, yet it also gives us the chance to experiment with the balance of the side, inevitably a couple of spinners will be selected. The players rested will depend on the physical and mental state of some of the squad, judgements we would not be privvy to.

This is a big year for England culminating in an Ashes series during the winter, if we can keep players as fresh as possible it must help our chances of conquering Bangladesh (home and away), Pakistan at home and Australia away.
Nah I disagree. Bangladesh in Bangladesh will be a tough tour and if you leave out the heart and soul of your team, Team England will be in trouble. Who would you have captaining the side if you left out those 6 players? Glad you have a question mark beside KP, I think someone like Broad would be more tired compared with KP.

Woodster

International Captain
Nah I disagree. Bangladesh in Bangladesh will be a tough tour and if you leave out the heart and soul of your team, Team England will be in trouble. Who would you have captaining the side if you left out those 6 players? Glad you have a question mark beside KP, I think someone like Broad would be more tired compared with KP.
I don't think it's just tiredness as to why I would leave certain players out. Think it would assist in the development of Broad to bowl on tracks in Bangladesh and get the chance to bat on such tracks.

Well I suppose it would be the vice-captain Ali Cook that would skipper the side. Again a good opportunity for him to have a go leading the side if he is deemed to be the successor to Strauss.

I am not saying Bangladesh in Bangladesh will be a breeze, but the side I would hope England pick should be absolutely good enough to win the series.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
We cannot forget where we were 12 months ago, it is also clear though we have come quite a way in that time but still have a way to go. Our strength in depth is probably not great, so why wait till we're in an Ashes series, or another important series, to find out about the players in and around the squad. A trip to Bangladesh is a perfect opportunity to blood some fringe players, it is a series that, with all due respect to Bangladesh, we should win despite half of the side being rested.
I would not introduce fringe players or play moderately experienced guys with moderate success.

Guys like Carberry and Sidebottom doing well against Bangladesh are going to cause more headaches than solve problems.

Id look to focus on player development (eg guys like Broad, Onions, Trott), backbone (Strauss, KP), and blooding young players that may be around for 10 years and can slot into a few spots surrounded by experienced pros.

Ie the future combined with the present core. Id keep Prior as Bangladesh would be a change of environment to keep in. Not a place for middle of the road players (eg Bell and Anderson) or guys that IMO cant cut it (eg Wright, Saj, Bresnan) to pad their stats. IMO the England captaincy is a fulltime job

My XI
1. Strauss
2. Cook
3. Trott
4. KP
6. Prior
7. Rashid
8. Broad
9. Swann
11. Onions

Ive left 5 and 10 blank for a young batsman and bowler that the selectors think will be around for a long time. Maybe Denly, Bopara and Finn etc. Ive left them blank as I dont have my finger on the pulse enough to assess the best young prospects.

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I don't think it's just tiredness as to why I would leave certain players out. Think it would assist in the development of Broad to bowl on tracks in Bangladesh and get the chance to bat on such tracks.

Well I suppose it would be the vice-captain Ali Cook that would skipper the side. Again a good opportunity for him to have a go leading the side if he is deemed to be the successor to Strauss.

I am not saying Bangladesh in Bangladesh will be a breeze, but the side I would hope England pick should be absolutely good enough to win the series.
The side you picked would be an awesome side actually, but only for this match:
Bangladesh A v England XI
MA Aziz Stadium, Chittagong

I don't mind if say 1 or 2 players are rested, but leaving out 6 players, and handing out 4 or 5 debuts in the same match away from home with the series not yet won would be a terrible decision.

jwebber86

Cricket Spectator
i think they should send a pretty much full strength squad and just blood a couple of players that they seriously think will be pushing for a test plaace in the next 12-18 months. it would be brilliant practice for the first XI to play in the sub continent against what will probably be a bangladesh attack with a considerable amount of spin bowlers.

everything cant be focused about the ashes if the ECB are serious in the aim of being the number one test side in the world. they will eventually have to get results in india, sri lanka and maybe eventually pakistan if we ever go back there

Furball

Evil Scotsman
As I've said, with the World Cup taking place on the Subcontinent, and Bangladesh's ODI batting actually looking pretty useful in the tournament they're playing in just now, the ODI side at least has to be full strength.