• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in Bangladesh

King Pietersen

International Captain
That would mean that Cook will captain the side, eugh. Nowhere near ready to be skippering a tour. Last time I saw him captaining on the field was a shambles, just letting everyone else decide things for him. I'd be far happier seeing KP captaining the side if Strauss doesn't tour, that won't happen though.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
If you were selecting an England side purely with the goal of beating Bangladesh (and no looking forward to the future), you'd probably be best just finding some big, tall, fast guys. They still can't play pace and bounce at all.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If you go on performances in recent times Blackwell, Collingwood, Davies, Onions and Plunkett should be in the squad at least.

Not expect Blackwell to get selected despite being awesome in CC lately.

Expecting one of Davies and Plunkett to magically vanish from the thoughts since the SA tour.

And expecting Onions to continue to get completely shafted by luck, the captain and selectorial ****wittedness.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
If you go on performances in recent times Blackwell, Collingwood, Davies, Onions and Plunkett should be in the squad at least.

Expecting one of Davies and Plunkett to magically vanish from the thoughts since the SA tour.

And expecting Onions to continue to get completely shafted by luck, the captain and selectorial ****wittedness.
Blackwell is not & never was test quality & shouldn't be near the test side.

It will be very good indeed if not only "one off, but both Plunkett & Davies vanish from the thoughts of the selectors TBF after this tour.

Scaly piscine

Blackwell is not & never was test quality & shouldn't be near the test side.

It will be very good indeed if not only "one off, but both Plunkett & Davies vanish from the thoughts of the selectors TBF after this tour.
Do you ever consider that maybe you should go with the complete opposite of your opinion just to get something right for a change?

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
If you go on performances in recent times Blackwell...should be in the squad at least.

First bit no, second bit yes. Awesome in the Championship, but batting is just nowhere near international standard. Could smash some Bangladeshis around, but no long-term prospect for playing in the subcontinent, which is what the tour is about really.

Scaly piscine

First bit no, second bit yes. Awesome in the Championship, but batting is just nowhere near international standard. Could smash some Bangladeshis around, but no long-term prospect for playing in the subcontinent, which is what the tour is about really.
I don't see how anyone is a position to judge since it's a while since he played international cricket and even then it was limited overs stuff which he's never been a good batsman in.

You could go back a year or so and use the same logic never to give Swann a go.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Judging by the way Strauss maladroitly avoided Athers's question ("Now's not the time to talk about it, we'll talk about it tomorrow") about just now I think it's a fair guess the skipper won't be touring.
Really sends the right message to the rest of the side, doesn't it. :ph34r:
I'm surprised that Flower would even consider allowing it.

King Pietersen

International Captain
:laugh:

Presume we'll be picking a 16 man squad right? If so, who'd you go for? I'm also going to presume Strauss and Anderson aren't going and pick my squad with that in mind.

Michael Carberry/Stephen Moore not fussed either way
Alistair Cook
Jonathan Trott
Kevin Pietersen *
Paul Collingwood
Ian Bell
Matt Prior +
Stuart Broad
Graeme Swann
Adil Rashid
Graham Onions

Mark Davies
James Tredwell
Eoin Morgan
Liam Plunkett
Steven Davies

I was really stuck when trying to work out the balance of the side. I wanted to drop a batsman, and pick a 3rd seamer, but the only way that's possible is if Collingwood is rested (which has been talked about). That way you could bring Davies into the XI, drop Collingwood out of the side and bring Sidebottom into the squad.

It's tough though, as we really do need the 2 spinners, but it'd be really harsh to drop Ian Bell, so really the only droppable batsman would be Trott, which again would be harsh, so I'm actually hoping that Collingwood's rested so that we can pick a 5 man bowling attack. That way we'd have Bell 5, Prior 6, Broad 7, Swann 8, Rashid 9, Onions 10 and Davies 11.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Flower said we would definitely be playing two spinners, I reckon a spinner will just replace Anderson who deserves a rest most out of everyone in the team, except maybe Collingwood.

Pothas

Sure others have already said this but there is no way that Strauss should miss this series, he is captain and should remain so for all test matches. Have no problem with him missing some ODI's like Ponting did after the ashes but considering that he is not going to be playing in the IPL or most likely the Twenty20 world cup, it just make no sense whatsoever.

Anderson needs a rest and would not begrudge Collingwood one, although we could probably do with him for this series.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm wondering if it's a case of them wanting to rest Strauss or more that they want to try Cook out as captain

Pothas

Maybe but what is the point? Strauss looks set for the job for a couple of years at least, Cook needs to focus on his batting and not being the next captain.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I agree but I think with Cook they want to do what Australia have been doing with Clarke

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
We cannot forget where we were 12 months ago, it is also clear though we have come quite a way in that time but still have a way to go. Our strength in depth is probably not great.
I think out strength indepth is amazing. Just too few standout talents.

Pothas

I think out strength indepth is amazing. Just too few standout talents.
Think batting wise we are a little bit thin on the ground in terms of depth, there are no even remotely proven international batsman that are not in the side.

Agree about lack of standout talents, would not have thought a single England player would make a world side but we do seem to play brilliantly once ever 4 or 5 games. It is a bit of a shame because it puts so much pressure on him but the level that Broad performs at makes such a huge difference to the side.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I'm wondering if it's a case of them wanting to rest Strauss or more that they want to try Cook out as captain
If if they are giving people as go then I wouldnt mind a chance. The captaincy isnt something to be used like a perfume sample. Strauss is England captain and if the position is to keep prestige then it must be treated with respect. Not passed around on whims.

Strauss must tour. KP I can go either way with. Bell shouldnt, as shouldnt Collingwood. Cook should and Trott should. Anderson rested. I could be pursuaded on a keeper.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Think batting wise we are a little bit thin on the ground in terms of depth, there are no even remotely proven international batsman that are not in the side.

Agree about lack of standout talents, would not have thought a single England player would make a world side but we do seem to play brilliantly once ever 4 or 5 games. It is a bit of a shame because it puts so much pressure on him but the level that Broad performs at makes such a huge difference to the side.
If we picked the XI for the last Test, Im sure a 2nd XI could be picked that would have a good chance of taking a 5 match series agains them.