• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Commonwealth Bank Tri-Series 2007-08

sideshowtim

Banned
I must say, it's going to be strange watching Australia play a ODI without Gilchrist in the side, eventhough I'm looking forward to the Hayden/Hopes opening partnership.
Yeah, some exciting times ahead that's for sure. I'm glad Hopes will get the opportunity to bat a bit more...

Looking at his statistics...They look pretty average. But he's been so, so much better than they suggest.

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
Not sure abt the 'Hanuman' chants simply coz Haunmanji is a God ... why would ppl want to call Symmo a God's name?
Well.........to indians it may be a gods name but it will probably be tried...........if effective(if it gets under Symonds skin) then it will be used........and nobody will be able to ban the use of the word as in India it indeed is sacred.

AkshayGenius

Cricket Spectator
I think this has been one of the worst experiences for any country in an international tour.

Firstly, about HB Singh calling Symonds a monkey, is highly doubtful. Most probably he would have said menu ki, which in Punjabi means why should i care and when pronounced, can, sound a lot like monkey. And as the judge, also later admitted that if HB had called Symonds a monkey, it wouldn't be considered racist. I mean, how the hell is monkey racist, and compared to what the Aussies say, its barely a fraction. And I'm shocked at the racist allegations on HB by the crowd. I mean, now HB isn't even allowed to scratch his armpits? Are you kidding me? Thats natural when you're sweating so heavily. And as HB said and I'm sure, what the crowd was saying to HB is beyond imaginable insults. And then they complain of him spitting? WTF? This is height. Also, HB responded very well and stayed composed to the heavy boo's and exorbitant insults he was receiving the other day. This is the height. Nothing surprising though, considering the fact the Aussies are the best sledgers around and play clever mind games, which, is a new thing for the youth in the Indian team.I think India as a country is very united on this issue. And, for once, I'm sure, Indian crowd is going to give it back to the Aussies in the same way, although India is known to be very peaceful.

India all in all deserved this win, with all the youngsters having so little international experience, coming and performing so well is, commendable. The team has a lot of potential and looking forward to them improving. Praveen Kumar and Piyush Chawla were surprisingly good though.

Excellent captaining by Dhoni, taking a lot of risky, gutsy but right decisions. Backed his team very well.
The return of batting side in the Indian side at the right time was a pleasure to see.

Sad to see such an amazing player like Gilchrist leave on such a note, one of the greats in world cricket.

Entertaining cricket as a whole and an amazing comeback and revenge by the youngsters in the Indian cricket time and a good fight given by the Aussies was a pleasure to watch.

This is my opinion and I do not intend to, in any way, offend the any Aussies. This is my perspective and you are obviously, free to object, but just making clear my intentions are not to offend of hurt any feelings whatsoever.

Last edited:

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Incident: Adelaide Test, 2nd innings: Michael Clarke sledges Tendulkar by saying, "Why don't you retire now? You have become old and can't even run."

Outcome: Sehwag retaliates: "Just shut up. Do you know how many matches he's played and how many runs he's scored?" Hayden retorts: "Here comes the big mouth."

:oops:

Link

ret

International Debutant
Incident: Adelaide Test, 2nd innings: Michael Clarke sledges Tendulkar by saying, "Why don't you retire now? You have become old and can't even run."

Outcome: Sehwag retaliates: "Just shut up. Do you know how many matches he's played and how many runs he's scored?" Hayden retorts: "Here comes the big mouth."

:oops:

Link
thats ironic :laugh:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Meh, might get slated for this but it's fairly ordinary to see lack of grace of some people more interested in sticking it to certain players, fans more interested in booing at the presentation ceremony when the player of their choice of MOTS doesn't get the award and people scrounging through I told you so posts (mb banter aside) the second the series is over. Leaves a bad taste and comes across as a touch vindictive. Whatever, expected better, I'm out.
There does seem to be a bit of that.

Anyway, as an Aussie fan I am really not bothered at all. Had we won there would still have been a lingering feeling in the back of my head. This team is relatively new and not really battle-hardened. You need to lose to know what it means to win. I think the Aussies had won too much and had forgotten the bitter taste of loss. I hope the young lads learn and do better. The old lads realise that things are changing and they will need to adapt. Teams all over are ushering in a new generation. It is vital, IMO, that our new lads go through these experiences with our older lads so that the mentality that Australia have had this past decade is passed on.

Anyway, was a good series. Although I think Australia were pretty poor when batting. The upper order was a let down. I hope Hussey moves up and opens. If Australia start well it is damn hard to break their stride.

ret

International Debutant
i like Dhoni's understanding of the game and esp like his view on playing Chawla, when many would ponder as to how they can play someone who never played in the tourney in the final

"We wanted to surprise Australia with Piyush Chawla in the finals. He mixes it well, he varies his pace and has a googly which turns on any wicket. He is also very consistent with his line and length. He would become a better bowler with exposure."

another cool example of surprise strategy was Crowe's opening with Patel in WC92, when many would be like how can you open with a spinner!!!!

Last edited:

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There does seem to be a bit of that.

Anyway, as an Aussie fan I am really not bothered at all. Had we won there would still have been a lingering feeling in the back of my head. This team is relatively new and not really battle-hardened. You need to lose to know what it means to win. I think the Aussies had won too much and had forgotten the bitter taste of loss. I hope the young lads learn and do better. The old lads realise that things are changing and they will need to adapt. Teams all over are ushering in a new generation. It is vital, IMO, that our new lads go through these experiences with our older lads so that the mentality that Australia have had this past decade is passed on.

Anyway, was a good series. Although I think Australia were pretty poor when batting. The upper order was a let down. I hope Hussey moves up and opens. If Australia start well it is damn hard to break their stride.
Young lads?

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Young lads?
Johnson, Hopes, Bracken, Clarke...or even ones that aren't as experienced. I mean Lee has a different role now compared to when McGrath and Warne were there. Clark may not be young but he is relatively inexperienced.

To fail itself is a building block to success. I think most of the newer guys hadn't really failed much to appreciate what it meant to be so successful. Ironically, though, most of the mentioned players were our better ones. :laugh: I still think the experience will do them good though.

yaju

State Vice-Captain
Nothing wrong with Ponting saying Australia will win 2-0, he had confidence in his team... he was just wrong.

Hayden though obviously has deserved every bit of criticism he has gotten.
Agree, but Ponting didn't live up to what he said. Probably he meant that he'll score 2 runs in the final sans any boundary.

Sachin also told a fan that India may wrap up the series before the 3rd match, and look at the way he performed.

sideshowtim

Banned
Lol. People are revelling in the fact that Sachin performed in a high pressure situation while Ponting didn't. Can't blame them, It's almost a complete role reversal!