• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most unpopular cricketer from each country?

33/3from3.3

International Vice-Captain
Stephen Fleming, especially towards the end of his career, was pretty unpopular in NZ. Mainly cause he couldn't score above 30 and also, every time, being out LBW or caught in the slips.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Stephen Fleming, especially towards the end of his career, was pretty unpopular in NZ. Mainly cause he couldn't score above 30 and also, every time, being out LBW or caught in the slips.
Frustrating batsman, but a fantastic captain.

Days of Grace

International Captain
In New Zealand there is a theory of the 'tall poppy syndrome', i.e. attempting to cut our great sportspeople down to our size, unduly criticising them. Is this a NZ myth, or does it also exist in other countries?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
In India it has to be Manoj Prabhakar. Among the current players, I would say SreeSanth.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I think the current England team is rather likeable. In sharp contrast to their football team. However Matt Prior was widely thought of to be a prat while he was playing, perhaps unfairly, but i'd say he's probably the least popular as a person.
Who was it who said "what do you drive I drive a Ferrari@ or whatever it was??

Uppercut

It was one of the sledges used V India last summer
I do remember Prior pissing everyone off by talking utter nonsense all the time behind the stumps. And dropping a series of easy chances that made everyone pull their hair out. Even Ryan Sidebottom, and that's a big job.

I don't really understand the sledge anyway, aren't Indian cricketers ridiculously well-paid?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
That's what I thought, tbh it's just the sort of uninformed comment you'd expect from one of our footballers. I do agree that our team seems like a good bunch of lads, but whoever said that had a bit of a brain freeze TSTL

Uppercut

That's what I thought, tbh it's just the sort of uninformed comment you'd expect from one of our footballers. I do agree that our team seems like a good bunch of lads, but whoever said that had a bit of a brain freeze TSTL
Cricketing communities are usually much more articulate and intelligent in my experience, except possibly the Pakistan and India ones. There's no real cricketing equivalent of Ian Wright.

Out of the current England cricket team, i don't particularly like Andrew Strauss but i don't know why, KP talks too much and Stu Broad is horrendously overrated by commentators and the like. But apart from that i like everyone, and it's a big step for an Irishman to only dislike 3 people out of a team of 11 Englishmen.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't think Harmison is hated, disliked or unpopular in England. I think the emotions run from disappointment to frustration to maybe even anger at his underperformance. However I think that he's generally viewed as a really likeable individual, which is exactly what he is.

The most unpopular current player in England is KP. At the same time he's also one of the most popular. He polarises opinion because of (a) his profile and (b) his attitude.

As for my personal dislikes from other countries, including the recently-retired, well the team would look something like this:

1. G Smith (Captain)
2. M Hayden (Hon. Life President)
3. R Ponting
4. S Waugh
5. B McMillan
6. M Boucher
7. I Healy
8. S Warne (i/c poker and poke 'er)
9. A Nel
10. Harbhajan Singh
11. S Sreesanth

Coach: R Jennings

Uppercut

I don't think Harmison is hated, disliked or unpopular in England. I think the emotions run from disappointment to frustration to maybe even anger at his underperformance. However I think that he's generally viewed as a really likeable individual, which is exactly what he is.

The most unpopular current player in England is KP. At the same time he's also one of the most popular. He polarises opinion because of (a) his profile and (b) his attitude.

As for my personal dislikes from other countries, including the recently-retired, well the team would look something like this:

1. G Smith (Captain)
2. M Hayden (Hon. Life President)
3. R Ponting
4. S Waugh
5. B McMillan
6. M Boucher
7. I Healy
8. S Warne (i/c poker and poke 'er)
9. A Nel
10. Harbhajan Singh
11. S Sreesanth

Coach: R Jennings