• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most unpopular cricketer from each country?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I know with McGrath's wife passing away recently its not exactly the best issue to talk about, but I don't think many people actually thought too badly of Sarwan, or even blamed him for the incident in 2003.

Chubb

International Regular
I know with McGrath's wife passing away recently its not exactly the best issue to talk about, but I don't think many people actually thought too badly of Sarwan, or even blamed him for the incident in 2003.
Yeah. I don't think he knew that she was undergoing treatment at the time, and if someone asks you what McGrath asked him, what is the comeback you're going to think of first? I understand McGrath's reaction of course, but I don't think Sarwan deserves any blame for it. Neither of them do.

Most unpopular cricketer from Zimbabwe? Simple. Neil Johnson, take a bow. Universally disliked in the Zimbabwean cricket community for his superior and selfish attitude. Dave Houghton described him as "not my most favourite person", which is a crushing insult from a reticent guy like him. Johnson was like an overseas pro in the side. Unlike Murray Goodwin, he did nothing to help cricket in Zimbabwe and used them so he could play international cricket. "Neil played for Neil, not for Zimbabwe."

I guess Mark Vermeulen would have to be up there as well, though I think most people realise he is not fully responsible for his actions.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
My perception of the most unpopular cricketers (although I reckon most players in a high-profile sporting team are popular to a degree);

Every team in the world - anyone who's getting smashed

:D

In Australia, especially so. Watson was being pillored a few months ago and his popularity has been on the up since his form turn-around. Right now, the object of hatred seems to be Mitch Johnson. It's such a cyclical thing I reckon.
Spot on. You can be the biggest jerk ever but if you're good at what you do you'll be popular in Australia and I suppose the rest of the world isn't much different.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Does Jesse Ryder have many fans in New Zealand after he decided he wanted to be English?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I wouldnt say the 2 are mutually exclusive. I think a lot adore him because he is a clown and goofy.
I’m not sure how the genuine the affection is; sometimes it comes across as Monty is being taking the piss out of.

I was at a game when Panesar was playing for Northants and the crowd were doing high fives (and purposely missing) and laughing at him everytime the ball went to him. It wasn’t particularly friendly I thought.

sanga1337

U19 Captain
Yeah, but the West Indies players have got barely any hate and that was the only real incident where I could imagine a few people being annoyed with a player. I don't think anyone has hated anyone from the West Indies cricket team since 2000

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Does Jesse Ryder have many fans in New Zealand after he decided he wanted to be English?
I think people have forgotten about that here really. He was hugely popular for a brief period earlier in the year when he was scoring runs and bizarrely even taking wickets for NZ and it looked like he couldn't do a thing wrong, but he's lost that adoration again due to his off-field shenanigans.

_Ed_

Yeah, but the West Indies players have got barely any hate and that was the only real incident where I could imagine a few people being annoyed with a player. I don't think anyone has hated anyone from the West Indies cricket team since 2000
I'd suggest Marlon Samuels or Runako Morton.

sanga1337

U19 Captain
I'd suggest Marlon Samuels or Runako Morton.
Marlon Samuels is more of an idiot. People are more annoyed with him than really angry with him. I don't think a lot of people really hate him. As for Morton, I barely know anything about him and haven't really heard people say that they hate him apart from people on these boards. Not nearly as many people of the general public also know much about him either. To be the most hated you also have to be fairly well known

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Why does someone being born in the same country as you, and playing sport, mean you must represent them?

If there's a dickhead on the streets acting like a tool, who happens to be Australian, you won't like him. But if that same person is on the cricket field (not saying the names you mentioned are dickheads or tools) you must support them?
Hmmm I guess I rate the cricketer on how they perform on the field rather than anything else. If someone was a complete baboon like Ponting was a while back then I probably would hate them.

Other more vocal, controversial players like Symonds and Warne I tend to give the rub of the green to because I enjoy watching them play and feel some patriotism to the fact that they're representing the country. Hard to explain and maybe it doesn't make sense.

Lets just say I'm not actively seeking out someone to dislike in the Australian team.

Its similar to many people cheering Lleyton Hewitt simply because he's Australian. And this obviously goes for every other country with every other sport as well.
Hate Lleyton Hewitt itbt. He's a knob.

Why is a cricket (James Hopes) hatable because he isnt as good as someone else? Do you hate Beau Casson because he isnt as good as Warne? Hopes seems like a good bloke, and I reckon he is close in value to Watson in OD cricket, i'd rate him a better OD bowler.

Why does disliking someone mean you can't support them?
It's the other way around actually. I don't hate him, I just choose not to support him as I think there's only room for one all-rounder in the ODI side and that should be Watson. Therefore I don't mind at all when Hopes fails. Got nothing against the guy personally.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I don't think Harmison is hated at all in England, he's a top bloke and part-time Cricket fans still think he's bowling's answer to Bradman. Can't actually think of anybody who is particularly unpopular in this country actually, when the team gets down they generally get it in the neck collectively

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Most unpopular cricketer from Zimbabwe? Simple. Neil Johnson, take a bow. Universally disliked in the Zimbabwean cricket community for his superior and selfish attitude. Dave Houghton described him as "not my most favourite person", which is a crushing insult from a reticent guy like him. Johnson was like an overseas pro in the side. Unlike Murray Goodwin, he did nothing to help cricket in Zimbabwe and used them so he could play international cricket. "Neil played for Neil, not for Zimbabwe."
Lord, never knew that.

Explains why there was so little attempt to dissuade him from international "retirement".

Guess he's gone down in my estimation a bit with that. Still a brilliant batsman, but not such a good cricketer.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't think Harmison is hated at all in England, he's a top bloke and part-time Cricket fans still think he's bowling's answer to Bradman. Can't actually think of anybody who is particularly unpopular in this country actually, when the team gets down they generally get it in the neck collectively
Pietersen often gets disproportionatley criticised, TBF. Think he copped more than most (bar Fletcher, Jones and Giles) following 2006/07 when he should have copped near enough nothing.

TazzX

U19 12th Man
To counter the other thread, this is based on people disliking their own.. Not the most disliked cricketers in general.. I'll have a poor stab at it..

Australia - Symonds
England - Harmison
India - Ganguly
New Zealand - Vettori
South Africa - Smith
West Indies - Morton

Your crack must be good :laugh:

Where do you get that SA don't like Smith? And Vettori is the local hero in NZ, he is NZ's love child.

The rest looks good.

Uppercut

I think the current England team is rather likeable. In sharp contrast to their football team. However Matt Prior was widely thought of to be a prat while he was playing, perhaps unfairly, but i'd say he's probably the least popular as a person.