• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most unpopular cricketer from each country?

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Warne was the only indisciplined player in the previous Australian side. He was involved in most of the scandals and earned bad name for Australia. Did you forget Nurse scandal and the banned substance usage scandal? Asif did the same (banned substance) and is not very popular now in Pakistan. I just wonder if Warne is still liked by the Aussies. Does it mean that *** and drug scandals are not noticeable things in Australia?
I trust you found the nation rallying against Warne during one of your many visits to Australia? What did you think of the tour of the Sydney Opera House, by the way?

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Ask the people who saw him getting out of the boundaries 6 times an over. More than 6 sixes it was his losers attitude during that over that made him unpopular.
Well, it is rather difficult to feel like a 'winner' when you're being pumped out of the ground. 8-)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Warne was the only indisciplined player in the previous Australian side. He was involved in most of the scandals and earned bad name for Australia. Did you forget Nurse scandal and the banned substance usage scandal? Asif did the same (banned substance) and is not very popular now in Pakistan. I just wonder if Warne is still liked by the Aussies. Does it mean that *** and drug scandals are not noticeable things in Australia?
Mate, i'm not arguing for or against Warne, but I was born in Australia, and lived here most of my life. I know who is popular here and who is not.

Warne IS popular, whether he did what you said or didn't.

This isn't a "is Warne a good person" thread. Its a who is popular. Warne is/was popular. Case closed.

pasag

RTDAS
Lol at 'losers attitude', the guy is just a really inadequate Twenty20 bowler. This was identified by many on here before the tournament and the fact he got whacked that match was no surprise. He shouldn't have been bowling then, full stop.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Heres from my own perspective:

Australia - Matthew Hayden
England - Monty Panesar
India - Saurav Ganguly
New Zealand - Matthew Sinclair/James Marshall
South Africa - Graeme Smith
West Indies - Tino Best
Pakistan - Mohamed Asif
Sri Lanka - Jehan Mubarak

I know some of them don't play for their country anymore...but they still play so I chose them.
ctr.

I guess I'm one of those bogan Australians who love both Symonds and Warne. Don't know who of the current team I dislike. I'm not the world's biggest Ponting fan but he seems to have mellowed down of late. Maybe James Hopes for being a poor man's Shane Watson. I think I feel it's un-Australian to not support our cricketers.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I think I feel it's un-Australian to not support our cricketers.
Why does someone being born in the same country as you, and playing sport, mean you must represent them?

If there's a dickhead on the streets acting like a tool, who happens to be Australian, you won't like him. But if that same person is on the cricket field (not saying the names you mentioned are dickheads or tools) you must support them?

Its similar to many people cheering Lleyton Hewitt simply because he's Australian. And this obviously goes for every other country with every other sport as well.

Polo23

International Debutant
ctr.

I guess I'm one of those bogan Australians who love both Symonds and Warne. Don't know who of the current team I dislike. I'm not the world's biggest Ponting fan but he seems to have mellowed down of late. Maybe James Hopes for being a poor man's Shane Watson. I think I feel it's un-Australian to not support our cricketers.
What the hell does ctr mean? Use words, my mind can't tolerate text speak.

I'm a kiwi and I have no problem with Symonds. I've heard some pretty bad stories about him telling fans to get f**ked when they asked for autographs, but i'm not entirely sure how true they are. But, I don't personally have a problem with him. And I like Warne immensely, I don't care too much about all that off field womanising stuff...the whole drug scandal gave him a bad name, but he served his ban and got on with it. Great cricketer and a genius cricketing mind. Matthew Hayden on the other hand is a bible bashing hypocrite, so he gets my vote.

Why is a cricket (James Hopes) hatable because he isnt as good as someone else? Do you hate Beau Casson because he isnt as good as Warne? Hopes seems like a good bloke, and I reckon he is close in value to Watson in OD cricket, i'd rate him a better OD bowler.

Why does disliking someone mean you can't support them?

Craig

World Traveller
I thought Craig McMillan came across as a wanker, and his wasted talent as a cricketer.

Natman20

International Debutant
Styris on the list? :laugh: All he did was send some texts to someone who wrote something bad about the team who he thought was a friend who he apologised to and had made a mends. I agree with Richardsons article but people took the texts way too seriously. Un-popular, yes I guess but he shouldn't be as hes been a positive role-model before hand.

Anyone with anything that can be put against them and put into the media are taken down. Just look at Veitch who tvnz and radio already new did those things yet did not do anything until it became public. A couple simple texts to Richardson who moved on from them and then making top sports news stories is quite sad as is "this kiwi is competing in another country, oow think of what all other countries think of us mentality :wacko:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Styris on the list? :laugh: All he did was send some texts to someone who wrote something bad about the team who he thought was a friend who he apologised to and had made a mends. I agree with Richardsons article but people took the texts way too seriously. Un-popular, yes I guess but he shouldn't be as hes been a positive role-model before hand.

Anyone with anything that can be put against them and put into the media are taken down. Just look at Veitch who tvnz and radio already new did those things yet did not do anything until it became public. A couple simple texts to Richardson who moved on from them and then making top sports news stories is quite sad as is "this kiwi is competing in another country, oow think of what all other countries think of us mentality :wacko:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
It's not just the angry texts, it's also the haircut...

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
My perception of the most unpopular cricketers (although I reckon most players in a high-profile sporting team are popular to a degree);

Every team in the world - anyone who's getting smashed

:D

In Australia, especially so. Watson was being pillored a few months ago and his popularity has been on the up since his form turn-around. Right now, the object of hatred seems to be Mitch Johnson. It's such a cyclical thing I reckon.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Can we do players from the past?

The most unpopular player in NZ cricket that I can remember was Adam Parore.

He was even booed after his last test innings at his home ground, Eden Park.

As an aside, sports fans in NZ usually hate people who are good or a little eccentric.

Dissector

International Debutant
Ravi Shastri was definitely unpopular for long stretches of his career. Quite surprising, in that sense, that he has been so successful in the media.

Jonty Lathwal

U19 Debutant
Can we do players from the past?

The most unpopular player in NZ cricket that I can remember was Adam Parore.

He was even booed after his last test innings at his home ground, Eden Park.

As an aside, sports fans in NZ usually hate people who are good or a little eccentric.
yeah,,,Adam Parore was never a player to hate.......retired comparitively young.....

sanga1337

U19 Captain
First list is player most hated by other countries

Australia - Symonds. For being ****y I guess
England - KP, I wouldn't say people hate him that much though, just not a lot of competition
New Zealand - Vettori, same thing with KP
India - Tough one between Singh and Sreesanth. In fact I really cannot decide.
Sri Lanka - Murali, because of his action
Pakistan - Shoaib Akhtar. A bit of an idiot
South Africa - Andre Nel. Has a personality that some people hate
West Indies - Sarwan, just for the Mcgrath incident. apart from that I don't think he is hated though.
Players I hate

Australia - Love them all being an Australian. Johnson's bowling frustrates me though.
England - Harmison.
South Africa - Andre Nel.
Sri Lanka - Mubarak. Annoys me how he keeps getting in the Sri Lankan squad
New Zealand - James Marshall, same reason as Mubarak
Pakistan - Akhtar, idiot.
India - Again I can't decide between Sreesanth and Singh
West Indies - Daren Powell for being crap.