• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is New Zealand a better side than Australia at the moment?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Pffttt. We would punish you in Australia or NZ. We wouldnt be nice about it. And we wouldnt call Back the next morning.

When do we next have you guys over? Next summer is it? If Clarke decides to call it quits because the sticky tape doesnt hold his body together Ill admit we might have to bat twice in one test match though

Last edited:

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
observe as the male australian cricket fan puffs up his fur in a desperate final effort to defend his territory from the young challenger

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Against good players of pace we've yet to see if Johnson can be penetrative on those kinds of pitches, hard to say whether Port Elizabeth was simply an outlier or an indication that Mitch is going to find it really tough to be a matchwinner on those kinds of pitches against teams like SA and NZ
Adelaide?
IIRC he averaged under 30 in the UAE over two Tests as well?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
This thread is just one big joke right?

I guess James got rid of the cricket humour section.

Flem274*

123/5
Blokes been bowling his brains out for 18 months (ODI's included), and suggestions like this still astound me. Mitch has not just been successful because "conditions" (obviously they have helped), he's been every bit as good as an "all-round" bowler as Harris which is what makes them so dangerous together. The series in UAE showed this if nothing else.
Dunedin and the current Seddon Park would negate his bounce a bit, like PE and the UAE did (the UAE being the extreme example).

He's a world class bowler and can do well anywhere, but facing Mitch at Dunedin is a different kettle of fish to facing him at the WACA. The latter is almost impossible right now.

DingDong

State Captain
i'll start taking notice of australia when they stop rolling over and playing dead the minute they encounter conditions that they aren't familiar with.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
IIRC he averaged under 30 in the UAE over two Tests as well?
Indeed but being able to pick off some wickets and maintain decent figures is different to being a matchwinner, not anything against Johnson but it influences how the two teams shape up against each other on certain pitches. I can't remember how fast the Adelaide pitch was but I do recall he struggled a bit in the second dig so it's hard to say

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year

Yes and no. Watling is world-class, Latham, Neesham and Craig all average over 40 with the bat, and Craig has (somehow) twice bowled NZ to victory, Anderson hits it harder than Klusener used to, and NZ is probably 2nd only to South Africa in pace bowling depth
I'm not sure this last part is true at all. Cummins/Richardson/Bird/Starc/Pattison/Bollinger/Hilfenhaus all won't play in the first Test tomorrow. That's outrageous depth. Nigh on all of those guys would be picked as our third seamer.

Compare that to Wagner (if not picked)/Milne/Henry/McClenaghan etc, and South Africa have very raw back-up options who have played very little Test cricket at all.

Flem274*

123/5
I'm not sure this last part is true at all. Cummins/Richardson/Bird/Starc/Pattison/Bollinger/Hilfenhaus all won't play in the first Test tomorrow. That's outrageous depth. Nigh on all of those guys would be picked as our third seamer.

Compare that to Wagner (if not picked)/Milne/Henry/McClenaghan etc, and South Africa have very raw back-up options who have played very little Test cricket at all.
The only Mitchell that should make either test side is that Johnson guy. I hear he's quite good.

All three would make a top class ODI attack though.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Lol NZ. You barely beat us at home ffs. Australia would destroy you.
Don't really buy this. India played good competitive cricket in that series, just like they had in South Africa were they also nearly drew a test series. For whatever reason, they fell apart in the second half of the England tour, but I don't think a 1-0 result v India can be used as evidence that NZ would be pasted by Australia (at least not on home soil anyway).

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Not to mention we got too cute and it almost proved to be our undoing with that stupid Basin first day green top.

It's a shame the 2011 Australian tour wasn't three tests. I think Australia would have won 2-1 if it had been because our batting wasn't anywhere near what it is now but it felt like such an anticlimax. So many good performances from a wide range of players in such a short little series.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
1. NZ would have lost the second Test vs Aus. No way would we have come back from 90/5 or whatever it was.

BUT:

2. NZ would have pasted Aus in the first test. No way would Aus have come close to chasing 400.

India's batting across those 2 series was making them look like contenders to be the best batting lineup in the game. India were favourites to win that series, remember.