• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is New Zealand a better side than Australia at the moment?

Flem274*

123/5
The problem with judging bowling depth is you're going to see more of the reserves from injury prone or uncertain sides like Australia but because Steyn, Philander and Morkel are the great combination of always fit and always good you're not going to see their bench strength very often.

South Africa probably have bench strength as good as anyone's, but because it's a minor miracle to get the preffered Australian attack on the park (which always involves debate around who should be picked from Siddle/Patto/Starc) we see their bench tested in test cricket more often so they get more spotlight.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I thought this thread was about rugby. NZ is always better than us at rugby. They beat us at cricket less often than we beat them at rugby though.

anil1405

International Captain
The problem with judging bowling depth is you're going to see more of the reserves from injury prone or uncertain sides like Australia but because Steyn, Philander and Morkel are the great combination of always fit and always good you're not going to see their bench strength very often.

South Africa probably have bench strength as good as anyone's, but because it's a minor miracle to get the preffered Australian attack on the park (which always involves debate around who should be picked from Siddle/Patto/Starc) we see their bench tested in test cricket more often so they get more spotlight.

Fair point regarding the bench strength not being tested.

But considering whatever chances the bowlers like Parnell, Tsotsobe and McLaren have got in ODIs, they are yet to make a mark on international stage. The point am trying to highlight is their failure to apply themselves and bowl to their strengths in limited opportunities they got.

On the other hand, I also believe Australian and NZ bowlers have better natural talent. Starc, Pattinson, Cummins, Milne, Henry have raw pace to trouble the batsmen and some of them even have the ability to swing the ball at good pace. Would like to see more of Abbott and De Lange but otherwise the depth bowling of Proteas unfortunately doesn't excite me.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
IMO South Africa has the highest quality of depth, but it isn't that deep. Abbott would walk into any other international side (opening for all bar Australia and England, where he'd be first change IMO). Hendricks is a gun, and de Lange is pretty useful as well -- but McLaren, Parnell, Rabada etc are all a class below the first three.

Howsie

International Captain
IMO South Africa has the highest quality of depth, but it isn't that deep. Abbott would walk into any other international side (opening for all bar Australia and England, where he'd be first change IMO). Hendricks is a gun, and de Lange is pretty useful as well -- but McLaren, Parnell, Rabada etc are all a class below the first three.
Yeah I'd probably drop a guy who has 99 test wickets @ 27 for a guy who has played two test matches too....

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Abbott is better than Wagner IMO and therefore would be first change but yeah Southee and Boult would still open.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Taylor is better than any Oceania batsman not called Clarke by a considerable distance.

It would be a low scoring series, so maybe a bit of a lottery. Individual batsmen rather than the units as a whole would stand up and do the bulk of the scoring. Harris, Johnson, Southee and Boult would have the number of the batsmen more often than not. I'd back the home team to win.

Harris and Johnson at home are the complete pair and Southee is well suited to Australian conditions too. It's often forgotten he often bowls into the wicket from a great height with lots of variations (including an offcutter I haven't seen a batsman pick yet) in his second spell. He's not just a swing bowler. Boult loves left handers so it would be a good test of the Australian opening pair. Warner is a gem so I'd back him to make a score or two.

New Zealand play spin better as a unit but spinners taking wickets won't be a major point in either host country. Spin is where Australia have the edge actually unless Mark Craig can either consistently take lots of wickets or stop getting hammered on his off days. Finger spinners die in Oceania. Vettori, Lyon and Hauritz are the only ones to make a go of it, and touring Asian spinners who use quick turn as their main weapon just come onto the bat nicely. Lyon is more likely to hold it together than Craig, so New Zealand would really need to target him.

Johnson would not have much fun in Dunedin or Hamilton, but both grounds are places Twatto can get some reverse going. Johnson at the Basin is in business, and Harris will deliver everywhere.
Blokes been bowling his brains out for 18 months (ODI's included), and suggestions like this still astound me. Mitch has not just been successful because "conditions" (obviously they have helped), he's been every bit as good as an "all-round" bowler as Harris which is what makes them so dangerous together. The series in UAE showed this if nothing else.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Against good players of pace we've yet to see if Johnson can be penetrative on those kinds of pitches, hard to say whether Port Elizabeth was simply an outlier or an indication that Mitch is going to find it really tough to be a matchwinner on those kinds of pitches against teams like SA and NZ

Niall

International Coach
Blokes been bowling his brains out for 18 months (ODI's included), and suggestions like this still astound me. Mitch has not just been successful because "conditions" (obviously they have helped), he's been every bit as good as an "all-round" bowler as Harris which is what makes them so dangerous together. The series in UAE showed this if nothing else.
2nd Test: New Zealand v Australia at Hamilton, Mar 27-31, 2010 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

His one and only test match in Hamilton. 10 wickets.