• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Daniel Vettori the best 'all-rounder' at the moment?

Vikas Bhatt

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Poor guy, is everything - Captain, batsman, bowler and what not for the team. His stats are impressive. He has now scored enough test runs and wickets to be called an all-rounder certainly and with the likes of Symonds, Flintoffs, Pathans in current cricket not playing for their teams for being crap or unfit, Vettori looks the only all-rounder on the block.

:blink:

Last edited:

Jakester1288

International Regular
He is miles ahead of Symonds, Pathan etc. Bloody brilliant player, carries the New Zealand team. They will miss him so much when he retires.

Flem274*

123/5
He is miles ahead of Symonds, Pathan etc. Bloody brilliant player, carries the New Zealand team. They will miss him so much when he retires.
I would like to think that in four years at least Ryder,Taylor, and Southee will be world class, without going into any of the highly rated young players yet to play test cricket like Williamson, Raval and Boult.

If we end up missing him too much it will be a facepalm moment.

But yes, fantastic batsman and good fifth bowler. Kallis is still better by a long way though.

Last edited:

Howsie

International Captain
I would like to think that in four years at least Ryder,Taylor, and Southee will be world class, without going into any of the highly rated young players yet to play test cricket like Williamson, Raval and Boult.

If we end up missing him too much it will be a facepalm moment.

But yes, fantastic batsman and good fifth bowler. Kallis is still better by a long way though.
Well if New Zealand cricket ever wanted Southee to become world class they'd start playing him for more then one test at a time. How's he meant to improve when he's getting one game here and one game there, ridiculous imo.

Vettori's been a lot better then Kallis over the last two or so years however.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Don't really think Vettori's anywhere near as good as Kallis tbh. In fact I don't even think he's a better bowler than Kallis.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Don't really think Vettori's anywhere near as good as Kallis tbh. In fact I don't even think he's a better bowler than Kallis.
Think that's fair. When he's properly fit Kallis's bowling is very decent. Suspect I've laboured the point elsewhere on CW, but he was SA's best bowler by a bit on their tour up here last year.

I can see why he's sometimes reluctant to bowl (big guy, thirties, world class batsman in his own right) but can also appreciate why Fat Gray turns to him. As it happens I far prefer to watch Kallis bowling than batting, but that's more a question of taste rather than quality.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Well if New Zealand cricket ever wanted Southee to become world class they'd start playing him for more then one test at a time. How's he meant to improve when he's getting one game here and one game there, ridiculous imo.
Should select your best XI to win the match at any given time, IMO.

bagapath

International Captain
vettori and kallis are the top all rounders in the world at the moment.

in the late 80s, abdul qadir and tauseef ahmad were the best spin bowlers in the world.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Kallis is hardly much an all-rounder these days TBF. He is batsman who bowls a bit now, the man hasn't even taken a 5 wicket haul in tests in 6 1/2 years. Bravo & Watson are on par with him as test bowlers.

Plus is pretty unfair to compare a fast-bowling allrounder to a spin bowling all-rounder.

Vettori clealry should be the best "all-rounder" in the world at the moment since he is the only one ATM combining quality test batting & bowling with equal success. All Big Dan needs soon is score a hundred & take 5 wicket wicket haul in the same test/series.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Counts against Kallis in regard to getting five wicket hauls that in his time of bowling, South Africa have always had world class seamers who monopolise wicket taking.

And comparing him to Bravo and Watson is laughable. In the last 29 tests (3 years), Kallis has averaged under 29 with the ball. Same period where Dale Steyn has taken 138 test wickets @ less than 21 and Ntini 153 @ 27. How many wickets can Kallis realistically get after those men have had their fill?

Bit easier for Vettori to manage five wicket hauls when you routinely operate at one end, bowl half of your sides overs and for the best part of the time, are missing your leading strike bowler.

Last edited: