• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is Daniel Vettori the best 'all-rounder' at the moment?

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As most have highlighted already, it's his lack of penetration as a bowler at Test level that counts against Vettori, a flaw which to me has been typified in this current test. Karneria took a 7-fer on what is a very flat/good batting track whereas Vettori hasn't been able to eek even one wicket in either innings to date.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Perhaps a better question might have been "is Vettori the second best all-rounder at the moment?" ... and will therefore become the best allrounder once Kallis retires.

Who is the competition? Off the top of my head, other allrounders at present are Watson (if he can stay fit), England have Broad, SL have Matthews, Windies have Bravo, Bangladesh have Shakib... anyone I'm missing?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Perhaps a better question might have been "is Vettori the second best all-rounder at the moment?" ... and will therefore become the best allrounder once Kallis retires.

Who is the competition? Off the top of my head, other allrounders at present are Watson (if he can stay fit), England have Broad, SL have Matthews, Windies have Bravo, Bangladesh have Shakib... anyone I'm missing?
Johnson?

bagapath

International Captain

in ODIs Ryan TD for sure. And Johnson in tests.

Flem274*

123/5
The Lankan posters do so I reckon he'll come good.
Yeah but we could say Elliott is a world class test allrounder in the making.

Not trying to say the SL dudes are biased, but we can't just go on "his fans think he's good" Athers :p

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah but we could say Elliott is a world class test allrounder in the making.

Not trying to say the SL dudes are biased, but we can't just go on "his fans think he's good" Athers :p
Yeah but does Elliott have the FC record Matthews does? He also averages almost 40 in Tests with the bat. Elliott averages about bugger all.

Don't personally think Mathews can bowl to any great standard though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah Mathews cops a lot of **** for his batting I think it's good enough for the role he plays. Needs to do more with the ball though.

thierry henry

International Coach
Hoping this is commentator's curse in reverse, but once again Vettori is failing epically when given a chance to bowl us to victory.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think the more responsibility Mathew's gets with the bat, the better he will perform. He obviously has a lot of talent and hunger for success.

Howsie

International Captain
Yeah but does Elliott have the FC record Matthews does? He also averages almost 40 in Tests with the bat. Elliott averages about bugger all.

Don't personally think Mathews can bowl to any great standard though.
Yea, I was talking about his bowling. IMO he's nothing more then a part-timer in international cricket.

I haven't seen enough of him batting to make a proper assessment, but he has looked fairly good from what I've seen

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Vettori with the ball in tests gets more and more disappointing as the years go on.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Kallis for the last 6 years has been very much a 5th bowler.
And a bloody good one at that. Most teams would kill for a leading bowler with over 250 Test wickets @31.

Then factor in his 10,000 runs.

This thing you've got against Kallis is one of the stupidest things I've read on CW.

edit: actually forgot to mention that on his form over the past 2 and a bit years, Kallis easily gets into the side as a bowler alone.

Last edited:

Vikas Bhatt

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
This thread is certainly going well. Didn't expect so much passionate response to a simple question. This is a good forum unlike the one from where I am planning to migrate. Full of banal baiters, abusers and tosser only interested in ****fests.....