• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Is BD good enough to join tier 3 now

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
I feel this is better:

Tier 1:
1) Australia
2) South Africa
3) India
4) England
5) Sri Lanka
6) Pakistan

Tier 2:
1) New Zealand
2) West Indies
3) Bangladesh
4) Zimbabwe
5) Ireland

Intercontinental Cup (Tier 3):
1) Kenya
2) The Netherlands
3) Afghanistan
4) Scotland
5) Canada
6) Namibia

Inetercontinental Shield (Tier 4):
1) Uganda
2) UAE
3) Bermuda
4) USA
5) Nepal
6) PNG

Promotion & relegation in place....

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Introduction of tiers is a great way to destroy cricket in whoever gets chucked down in the top eight.
This is a terrible argument against tiers. If a team isn't good enough to compete at a particular level then they shouldn't be subjected to repeated humiliating failure in the interests of not-destroying-cricket at home. Loads of crap, uncompetitive cricket is good for no one, least of all the side getting stuffed all the time.

The reason the tiers suggested above are a bad idea is much simpler- New Zealand and the West Indies are far too good for the second tier.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
You've made a good case. West Indies can join Tier 3.
:laugh:

And to the bloke who called Ashraful the worst international batsman. Don't you reckon that's a bit harsh. Will always be a hero ever since he pumped a 100 when Banglas beat the Aussies in 05.

Himannv

International Coach
Personally dont think too highly of all this tier nonsense. They're already graded from one to ten, why further break it down into three different sections when its already broken down at a more specified level?

Maybe an ill advised lemur has everyone convinced. Whatever happened to the seperation of the classes?

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
:laugh:

And to the bloke who called Ashraful the worst international batsman. Don't you reckon that's a bit harsh. Will always be a hero ever since he pumped a 100 when Banglas beat the Aussies in 05.
The fact that Ashraful has gone 5 years , 109 ODI's and 28 Tests have passed since his innings against Australia and it still remains one of the few decent moments of Ashraful's career and any recent success of Bangladesh is a really sad fact.

Ashraful does have his moments, it is why he remains in the team. The problem is he is completely below the required standard for the vast majority of the games he plays, and is in no way going to play a role in the development of Bangladesh beyond the current state they are in (wretched, mixed with the very rare session of decent performance).

Himannv

International Coach
I dont think Bangladesh are as bad as people make them out to be. Certainly their batting is fairly decent and there are a few decent performances by some of the players who bat around the likes of Tamim and Shakib. The problem for me is that their bowling still leaves a lot to be desired. If they can somehow find a couple of world class bowlers and perhaps a top notch middle order bat, I believe they can consistently give the rest a good run for their money and probably beat some of these so called "big teams".

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
More like

Tier One: England, SA, India, SL, Pakistan and Australia

Tier Two: NZ and WI

Tier Three: Bangladesh (and Zimbabwe)

Tier Four: Ireland etc.
As mentioned earlier.

My definition of tiers revolves around home or away. A team in a lower tier would still have a reasonable chance of winning at home, but would be a long shot away. If the gap is 2 tiers then it becomes more of a long shot at home and the lower side will almost certainly get murdered away. Bangladesh are two tiers behind the top 6 Test sides. I'd give them a reasonable chance of beating NZ and WI at home - that is it wouldn't be a total shock if they won or drew a series. Bangladesh touring NZ or WI would be a long shot. Just as WI or NZ touring any of the top 6 would be a long shot, but they would certainly have a reasonable chance at home. And so on.

Now for me you don't get reasonable Test cricket when there's a two tier gap and you're at the better side's home ground (ie Bangladesh touring any of the top sides). I think there's a certain amount of fluidity within the tiers, the traditional 8 sides could swap between the top two over a few years. Bangladesh could themselves move up to tier two eventually and so on. The tiers are currently how I see the teams.

As I've mentioned a few times already if it were me making the decisions I believe Bangladesh should stick to home Tests only. These games are still worthy of being called Tests, the vast majority of their tours are not. Same story for Zimbabwe assuming the situation off the field is okay. I would also grant Ireland home Test status to start in say 3 years time or whenever. Every however many years you look at how these sides have performed and decide whether to grant them full Test status - you can make better informed decisions based on how they've competed at home and you're not going the whole hog as with Bangladesh those years ago.

The big Test sides are not wasting their home schedule playing non-competitive rubbish so that generates more revenue and makes the stats more meaningful. The home Test sides have plenty of time to tour in a competitive environment, work on technique etc. which is critical to their development. I feel like a lot of players these days need to take a step back from the grind and be allowed to just focus on a few big games or work out some technical flaw. They also get to play with things in their favour so can give a better account for themselves and play with some confidence in competitive matches.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Oh right, interesting theory and may lead to weaker home sides being played (such as leaving Collingwood and Broad out of games)

Scaly piscine

I thought you meant the lower sides playing against each other, like Bangladesh touring Ireland or somesuch. I don't think that could be classed as a Test match as the quality wouldn't be high enough and would affect the stats and so on.

If England seriously wanted to agree to play a FC match at home to Bangladesh then that'd be up to them really.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
No, I was talking about them progressing to the top tier and getting a chance to play all nations?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Test cricket doesn't need official tiers, it just needs to do away with the future tours program whereby everyone has to play everyone else every four (or five or whatever) years. Let Bangladesh play test cricket, but in England in the early summer? Not so much. Ended up as little more than a training hit out when the cloud cover came to OT.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The one decent team you played recently (India) you got soundly beaten, that was my point, so we're not the only side being beaten by the top teams, we've played England and Australia in the past year and a half and won one and put up a decent fight in the other so we're not as bad as people are implying.
If you're claiming that the West Indies put up a decent fight in England last year then there's no arguing with you.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
If you're claiming that the West Indies put up a decent fight in England last year then there's no arguing with you.
No, apparently the "good fight" was in Australia.
BINGO!!.

People are putting Pakistan in the top tier and yet they got whitewashed in the Tests in Australia, we at least got a draw and pushed them all the way in the last Test, and it was done with a depleted squad too.

Scaly piscine

Test cricket doesn't need official tiers, it just needs to do away with the future tours program whereby everyone has to play everyone else every four (or five or whatever) years. Let Bangladesh play test cricket, but in England in the early summer? Not so much. Ended up as little more than a training hit out when the cloud cover came to OT.
It wouldn't be any prettier them touring Australia or South Africa at any time of the year.