• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

In terms of aesthetics, what is the finest test innings you have seen?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
A bit of a random one - I loved watching Mahela's ton to save this Test at Lords. Looked great for 60 odd first innings as well iirc.

He never made many runs away from home but boy did he look good making them when he did.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Totally uncivilised opinion but I loved the big Sehwag hundreds.
The ****'s uncivilized about that? Sehwag was a great opener, and he blasted the damn cover off the ball with his technique. Truly a wonderful batsman to watch.

Sehwag struck me as a less "inhibited", free-swinging version of Tendulkar, although Tendulkar's technique was the more impeccable.

Teja.

Global Moderator
In terms of pure aesthetics, Dravid in swinging conditions was really special. I remember watching KW and Kohli get praised by the comms and here for gritting it out and adapting their techniques to survive in brutal conditions in the WTC and thinking Dravid made facing swing look so trivial and elementary, even in situations like 2011 when he had to carry the batting against a great attack in very bowling friendly conditions. It felt like he could take a nap on the pitch and wake up completely unfazed at the end of the day on 100* (275).

His record in NZ and England was just nuts.

1655661290623.png

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think that's probably right for the most part, though I am prepared to count those played in matches involving Australia overseas as well.

Himannv

International Coach
A bit of a random one - I loved watching Mahela's ton to save this Test at Lords. Looked great for 60 odd first innings as well iirc.

He never made many runs away from home but boy did he look good making them when he did.

I think that one was probably the best Test innings he's ever played, although I don't know if it was as "aesthetically pleasing" as some of his knocks in easier conditions.

Himannv

International Coach
I just find cricket in swinging conditions more aesthetically pleasing in general I think. Watching the ball move sideways and Mahela still punch it down the ground for four was :wub:
I feel he's just so great to watch when he's working the spinners into gaps and, obviously, there wasn't much of that in his innings at Lords. I suppose it is still probably an aesthetically pleasing knock for the reasons you said. I do think it's his best ever innings because we were all set to lose that game and he's generally not great at playing swing bowling in conditions like that.