• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How long would KP's bad form have to continue before England should drop him?

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah but even if his bad form continues for the next 6 months..I am not sure England have a suitable replacement for him..
oh wait...Morgan is not doing too bad..
and if Ian Bell comes back..maybe there can be a case then..

Spark

Global Moderator
If he has a shocking Ashes then I would be seriously doubting whether he would remain.

Still sticking to my "alternate between brilliant/fail" prediction though.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can anyone actually remember the last time KP looked "good" in a Test match and he was expected to make a score?

pasag

RTDAS
If he has a poor Ashes and England lose he'll be out, no doubt about it. By then the period of bad form would have been way too long and you'd be underestimating the impact Ashes have on panicky selectors, especially once the media scrutiny becomes unbearable.

That said I'm sure he'll come good eventually because he's a champion player and he'll rise to the occasion.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
I think KP's record against Pak in general is not that good...i only remember him as a walking wicket for either a spinner from Pak or Asif on most ocassions ...However, this doesn't change the fact that he some how knows how to perform against Australia in the Ashes. I would be against dropping him at all...he should continue in the test side for sure...ODIs, you never know may bring a good knock for him and he is back on track.... I have always been a fan of KP and would be really disappointed if he is dropped.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
We can't have Bell over Pietersen in an Ashes lineup. It can't happen.
Bell has had an excellent series versus Pakistan, tbf. :ph34r:

Nah, Ding Dong back for Morgan, who's having problems with the ball leaving him and mark KP's card.

Personally don't think we could give him all the Ashes if he's consistently failing. Assuming he missed out 2nd go here I think he might be gone by Perth if the rot isn't stopped.

As to wo comes in? Pfft. Carbs should be next for continuity's sake and he's having another good year. Although there is a bloke with 1500 runs this year who averages over 40 versus yer crims... :ph34r:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
KP to walk away after the World Cup?

The interview where he said he is low on confidence is a pre cursor to him walking off and becoming a 20/20 worldwide moneygrabber.

Himannv

International Coach
He'll bounce back. That repetitive boring old saying that says form is temporary and class is permanent is my misguided answer.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
KP to walk away after the World Cup?

The interview where he said he is low on confidence is a pre cursor to him walking off and becoming a 20/20 worldwide moneygrabber.
Lol.

This completely ignores the fact that to demand a premium salary in the Twenty20 world you have to be a proven international player.

tooextracool

International Coach
Well as I mentioned before, KP isnt going to gain much out of this test. Odds are hes going to fail in the 2nd innings or play an inconsequential innings. Instead he should really have been given a rest from international duty and had to play on loan for some other county or for Hampshire's 2nd XIs. Bottom line is that the guy needs to get bat on ball and confidence in his game rather than anything else. I still hope he's taken out of the limited overs squad and given a chance to get some game time otherwise hes going to show up for the Ashes with no practice and no confidence.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Was listening to TMS today and Aggers said he'd interviewed KP, and he said he was still low on confidence because of what happened with the captaincy. I don't really think we should be dropping him (although if he had a county I'd think about leaving him out of the ODIs) but I find it very worrying he's still going on about the captaincy situation that is getting on for two gears ago.

Woodster

International Captain
It is an interesting question as to how long England will continue selecting KP should his form not improve drastically. Currently, he is pushing at the ball, the bat is some distance from his body, and all these technical deficiencies in his technique unsurprisingly are exaggerated and come under greater scrutiny when he is so woefully out of nick in the middle. It is inevitable that he will go after deliveries that aren't quite there, play at balls that he should be leaving because he is searching for that moment when it clicks back to how it used to be.

If he fails in the 2nd innings at Lords, the Ashes series becomes a real battle for his place. I don't think there is any chance he won't be in the XI come Brisbane, but if after the third Test and he hasn't registered a score, I think there will be intense pressure on the selectors to make the change. I believe he'll come good by then. The KP of old lived for those situations, an Ashes series, the spotlight on him to perform, a real chance for national headlines, and generally he delivers, let's hope he still thrives in these scenarios.

The captaincy issue is a concern in that it continues to be raised, this should surely be forgotten now, and full focus should be on his batting strengths.

I'm surprised by his recent admission of being shot in the confidence department, not surprising considering his form, but it's not his way to question his own belief. There seems a lack of this hunger to become the best batsman in the world that he regularly used to say in public, that is the KP we want back. Yes he may have been ****y, perhaps arrogant, but it was nice to see an English batsman not afraid to back himself and believe he can be the best in the world.