• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group B - England, Iran, USA, Wales

Who will qualify from the group?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
There's obviously no panic, but that was a horrendous performance. Pointless and aimless passing amongst the back four, a non-existent midfield, no pace or movement wide or up front. Very fortunate draw.
Stil never mind, FA Cup second round tomorrow, and we're not in it. :santa:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Looking on the bright side, it's the first time we've kept a clean sheet against the USA in a WC match. :)

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There's obviously no panic, but that was a horrendous performance. Pointless and aimless passing amongst the back four, a non-existent midfield, no pace or movement wide or up front. Very fortunate draw.
Stil never mind, FA Cup second round tomorrow, and we're not in it. :santa:
We are and it's by far the footballing highlight of the fortnight for me.

Tangles

International Vice-Captain
Mount had to come off for Foden or Grealish for me. The whole front 4 was poor. There was a press before the subs where Bellingham was giving them a mouthful for standing around and not helping.

England should get past Wales but how they score against organized defenses is an issue. The US will have to find a way to score vs Iran. They don’t have a striker.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Eeeuuww.

Absolute smeller of a performance, but it's effectively qualified us, hasn't it? Only a 4 goal defeat would see us out, and even then an Iran/US draw would still see us through unless we lose by 6.
I suppose this is the cynicism, oops I meant pragmatism that people don't like about Gareth Southgate's regime.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Do people genuinely think that Southgate set out the side to play for 0-0? That just strikes me a ridiculous, and part of the ill-informed narrative that's we're hearing far too often nowadays. It looks like Mount is going to be latest whipping boy, which is, I suppose, convenient for some people. There has to be someone, doesn't there? Maybe Foden should play instead of him, but, having actually watched Foden play for England before, it's marginal at best. And as I understand it they play in different roles anyway. The fact is that most of the front six were poor last night. Kane at least put in a shift, but the others were completely out of sorts and oddly hesitant for most of the game. I have absolutely no idea why, but I suppose it's easier for some folks to blame the manager rather than accept that some of these guys aren't quite as good as we like to think they are. One last thought is that it was pretty unedifying to hear so many of England's 'supporters' booing the side last night. Who are these people? Did the German or Argentine fans boo their sides after their first match defeats? Or the fans of any team out there who have produced a disappointing performance? Probably not, but I guess these folks are symptomatic of the English disease.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He doesn’t set them up for 0-0, he sets them up to not take any risks. They don’t fully spread out when they have the ball in case they lose it, they don’t fully commit when they press, players rarely get ahead of their opposite number.

I don’t like it or agree with it, and I think he’s a mediocre manager. But it’s hard to dissociate how turgid that performance was from the fact that a 0-0 is a great result.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Feeling a lot better about this now. Seeing a lot of old sides in this world Cup relying on veterans, it's kinda working for some, but in the end we've a youngish side. Saka, Mount and Bellingham were brilliant v Iran, awful against the septics, hey young players will do that. They've many Tournaments to play and get consistency,

Just hope we get a bit of Foden tomorrow.

Last edited: