• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group B - England, Iran, USA, Wales

Who will qualify from the group?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
And SBS broadcasting in Aus has crashed with 5 mins to go........so fkn glad I got up at 5am on my day off for this?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Eeeuuww.

Absolute smeller of a performance, but it's effectively qualified us, hasn't it? Only a 4 goal defeat would see us out, and even then an Iran/US draw would still see us through unless we lose by 6.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It’s a lot like the 0-0 with Scotland at the euros, in that it’s a really good result for England that’ll be reported on like it’s an embarrassment.
The result was fine, the performance wasn't, not an embarrassment, but a poor performance.

grecian

Gareth really doesn't like Foden does he? seemed the obvious change, and pretty unlucky not to be starting, yet Mount carries on regardless.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Even when we've done well in past tournaments, Mount has been such an anonymous player. Foden is just a no-brainer.

grecian

Yeah but that’s who you are under Southgate, when a stodgy 0-0 will do the job you’re not getting anything else.
As I said 0-0 is fine, but TBH this performance deserved a loss, which would have been a problem. ho-hum hopefully it'll be more fun against the Taffs they need to attack.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah but that’s who you are under Southgate, when a stodgy 0-0 will do the job you’re not getting anything else.
From what I saw this was a somewhat fortunate 0-0 though, rather than a "this is boring but we're never conceding" 0-0

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Apparently it's the first time the US have kept a clean sheet against European opposition at a World Cup since the 1-0 win in 1950.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
As I said 0-0 is fine, but TBH this performance deserved a loss, which would have been a problem. ho-hum hopefully it'll be more fun against the Taffs they need to attack.
Did it really though? America gave up trying to win about an hour in.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
We are pretty much through now and let’s be honest we will **** wales so we’ve won the group. A disappointing night but it is what it is and no alarm bells at my end.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
From what I saw this was a somewhat fortunate 0-0 though, rather than a "this is boring but we're never conceding" 0-0
Maybe. USA were definitely better but they didn’t really create anything second half. If they’d scored in the first half then maybe England would have woken up, but they never needed to.

I probably rated England a bit lower and the USA a bit higher than most before the game though.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Apparently it's the first time the US have kept a clean sheet against European opposition at a World Cup since the 1-0 win in 1950.
And 1930 was the only occasion before then apparently; they beat Belgium 2-0.

Sounds a far longer drought than it really was though; only European team they played between 1930-1950 was Italy in 34, who spanked them 7-1.

And, of course, they failed to qualify between 1950-1990.

grecian

Did it really though? America gave up trying to win about an hour in.
Yeah it did, they had the clearest chances, the better game-plan, we should have been 1 or 2 nil down before that last third where I guess both teams settled.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah it did, they had the clearest chances, the better game-plan, we should have been 1 or 2 nil down before that last third where I guess both teams settled.
Don’t fully agree but not enough to debate it I guess. The key point is we need to **** wales