• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group B Discussion - Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, Portugal

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Holland/Netherlands whatever they're called only really need a draw here. The only way they could go out if they draw this and then beat Portugal is by goals scored. Even then that would have to include Denmark getting a draw/win against Germany. Netherlands can't have a worse goal difference than Germany or Denmark if they finish on 4 points. So Netherlands would still have it very much in their own hands if they draw tonight.

Just putting it out there before we get the must win bollocks.
Goals scored would be a significant risk given Denmark have already scored 3 though. If this game was to finish 0-0 for example and then Denmark got a draw, Netherlands would have to beat Portugal by two goals really. Still true that they don't have to win of course, it would just be safer.

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yea I hadn't realised but Netherlands could even lose tonight and go through. They'd need a big performance against Portugal, but it's quite probable Germany would beat Denmark which would put the points on 9/3/3/3.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Is anyone else annoyed with the way the BBC is ramming cinematic trailers and musical medleys down our throats and repeatedly telling us how this will be the greatest game ever in history? Wish they'd just shut up and get on with it.

Johnners

Geez that's a quality touch and goal. Completely different Gomez to the one I remember from Euro 08 and the World Cup

Scaly piscine

Netherlands' defending is an absolute shambles.

The midfielders aren't pressing the ball, tracking runs or anything. They're just kinda stood there whilst the Germans pick a pass out. The Dutch positioning on the point blank header from the free kick was baffling.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Not Mario Gomez's biggest fan, but his second was fantastically well-taken.

Holland all over the place though. Would seriously think about making all 3 subs at half-time if I were the coach. Willems, Affellay and Van Bommel all not up to task for this sort of match.

Not sure why they feel it necessary to start with two holding midfielders anyway to be honest.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Would be a travesty if the Germans didn't win this. They've been soooo much better than Holland it's ridiculous.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Yeah I mean they all have good cases, but I never seemed to get more irritated by a player than I do with Robben.

Actually you have a point with Suarez.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Robben's just a sulk and a whinger, nothing remarkable about his ****ishness.

Anyway, good game that.

Agent TBY

International Captain
I actually used to like Robben (mainly because of CM01/02), but I'm enjoying seeing things not go his way these past few weeks.

Oranje on the whole are not very likeable, either.

Pothas

Messi to win next World cup in Brazil and be quite rightly called the greatest player ever.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
If van Maarwijk doesn't start with a front 6 of de Jong, van der Vaart, Sneijder, van Persie, Robben and Huntelaar then he needs shot.