• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fixing Scandal!!!!!

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Some of those guys were on lower-tier domestic contracts and the cash available for teams moving to the next round was very, very lucrative. If they hear Lou was keener on some rupees, he'll be a very unpopular man.
Yeah, not only that but it was the only shot at real prestige for a NZ domestic team. Most guys aren't going to make the black caps, so that shot would have meant a lot to them.

Binkley

U19 Captain
Think we can all reasonably assume who the purported XXX with the big personality is.
Yeah, that was kinda my point. And that person must be feeling like the walls are closing in real fast. And given the damage he appears to have done to the game, I hope the sound of those walls creaking ever closer keeps him up at night. And then I hope they squish the bastard flat.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Scenario B is that it is still entirely possible that all of this is on Vincent and making it up to escape conviction.

Mike5181

International Captain
Yeah, that was kinda my point. And that person must be feeling like the walls are closing in real fast. And given the damage he appears to have done to the game, I hope the sound of those walls creaking ever closer keeps him up at night. And then I hope they squish the bastard flat.
Bit of a Lance Armstrong vibe now isn't there?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
yeah not a fan. Anyway the 2012 matches were supposedly well beyond when he'd recovered and largely dealt with his mental health problems.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Cricket fixing scandal: The day I confronted Lou Vincent - Telegraph

By Iain O'Brien, Former New Zealand player10:30PM BST 16 May 2014

“Did you?” “Huh?” “Did you, you know, do some dumb things while you were playing?” I was sitting across from Lou Vincent, the ex-New Zealand cricketer and ex-team-mate of mine. We were in a curry house, not far from the HAC Ground in London, where we had both just played in a charity Twenty20. It was Aug 30, 2012 and I hadn’t seen Lou for a long time; in a lot of ways, intentionally. I didn’t really want to be seen with him, associated with him or considered a mate of his.
We did, and do have, one thing in common; we both suffer with mental illness. That was the basis for a lot of what we talked about that day.
Lou had been touring in a camper van spreading his story of MI and raising awareness. What he was doing seemed great, but what he had been doing wasn’t.
I knew he had been up to no good. It becomes evident, as a player, that what you see is not always real. That moment you learn that wrestling on TV isn’t real. It is acting. It is hard to believe at first and then, when you have watched a lot, or been around it endlessly, you see it for what it really is. There is no going back.

On a Test tour of Bangladesh, 2008, we, the New Zealand team watched a lot of the Indian Cricket League; the ‘rebel’ T20 competition in its first year. We watched some of the most unbelievable cricket. Unbelievable in a way that we could not believe how obvious what was going on: leaving and or padding up to straight ones, run outs by massive distances in curious circumstances, batsmen playing out maidens, no-balls and wides just too big and too often to be natural mistakes. It looked a shambles.

And this included Lou Vincent. He had walked away from a New Zealand contract to take part in a lucrative league. We knew what was going on.
Without a shadow of doubt Lou was fixing. From our Bangladesh telephone sims (when touring, typically, we buy or are provided with a local sim), players who had Lou’s number would text him with some rather unpleasant messages about what he was doing. He was called a “fixer”, a “cheat” and many more unprintable things.

Lou denied any involvement. I asked him again if he had “fixed”, if he had been a part of it. He straight out rejected my line of questions. I showed him a scorecard from a game I had watched live. I had the scorecard saved as a bookmark on my phone browser so that we could talk specifics. I showed it to him. He put his one run from nine balls, playing out a first-over maiden, to just good bowling. I called that “rubbish”.
Lou is a quality player. For a fix he promised to score, 30 inside three overs. He failed, but a player with that quality does not score one from nine balls. I have not spoken to Lou since.
It happens here, in the UK. More than in just the matches we have read about from Lou’s accounts.

I was commentating on a match at Chelmsford and Danish Kaneria, the Essex and Pakistan leggie, bowled one of the biggest wides I have ever seen. It was the first ball of a spell. In the box we were flabbergasted at how flagrant it was.
In the previous two World Twenty20s I watched a highly respected player swap his bat, make sure that the cameras caught it by taking a long time to complete the act, on three occasions. A wicket fell in the next over, either him or his partner. A coincidence? I don’t think so. A change of bat can be a sign to a bookie that the fix is on.

I have seen others too. The ones outlined by Vincent. I watched the Sussex v Kent game which we now know contained spot-fixing and I sensed something was up.

The issue is, knowing and proving. Should I, as an ex-player and now commentator, be reporting suspect activity to the Anti-Corruption and Security Unit? Maybe I should.

But, I feel it is so rife that they would get overrun by what I see as suspect actions which have become so blatant that it is hard to believe they even care about our game anymore.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
As someone who sufffers from a few mental health problems, the way Vincent seems to be painting that as partially to be to blame is disgusting. It doesn't effect your morals.
Not sure about that in Lou's case tbh. Very existential depths.

Mental health issues: Toughest battle off the pitch - National - NZ Herald News

"It's just the emptiness. There's a really big feeling of emptiness. You look at life and you go, 'This means nothing, absolutely nothing. Here's my child. Yeah, it's a good child. I'm supposed to love it but I don't want to love it because I don't want it to miss me when I'm gone.'

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Stephen Brenkley's take on it.

Suggests Srinivasan, who is "under profound scrutiny" in India & his own Super Kings "under investigation for possible misdemeanours" might not be the best choice for the next ICC chairman.

He also says,

Stephen Brenkley said:
Lou Vincent, about whom, along with two or three others rumours, circulated for years
One can't help but wonder as to who the others dogged by these suggestions might be...

DingDong

State Captain
these problems would not be there if boards like pakistan and australia actually punished the guilty parties instead of trying to shield them in the early 90s.