• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England thread

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Ravi is just so ****. Asks to go up the order and terrible in the games. 1 hundred in 114 games (against Ireland). Unable to finish off games. Chokes massively. Bowling is considerably more erratic this year. Third world cup coming up and still shockingly average

Bell 3 hundreds in 150 games. Laughably bad. Third World cup incoming.

Root already 3 hundreds in 41 games. A more limited game that both of Bell and Bopara but just shows that the game is more mental than technical at the top level.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Least Cook when he was in form was worthy of a place in the team. Bopara and Bell have the odd good series and then just drop back into complete and utter mediocrity and lacking in spine when the team really requires them. It's just a shocking indictment on the state of the english game given the resources at our disposal that ***** like Bell and Bopara are on the way to a third world cup. And all we can possibly replace Cook with is Bell or a lazy and thick idiot like Hales.

Cook rightly will get loads of criticism but that masks the inadequacy of the squad as a whole.

Rant over.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I'd actually rather that were the case. Rather have him dropped than suddenly himself deciding he's never going to do one day cricket again. I mean, we know he's good enough when in form, it's just not there at the moment. Would want to at least give him the tri series to see how he goes in the actual conditions before doing it though.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
it's kinda weird that cook still has a better OD record than strauss. strauss was trending up before the last WC though

Zinzan

My side for the World Cup.

Cook is going to play, so pointless leaving him out:

Cook
Beartd
Taylor
Root
Morgan
Bopara
Buttler
Jordan
Plunkett
Broad
Anderson
Yeah this side, and like you the only one I wouldn't have is Cook, but you're stuck with him. All that said, that's a pretty damn strong looking XI on paper.

Zinzan

Although I still think this is the XI if we're still allowed to dream...

Ali
Taylor
Root
KP
Morgan (c)
Bopara
Buttler
Jordan
Plunkett
Broad
Anderson

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Might get the boot though, with what Moores said today. I can actually see him losing his spot during the tournament itself.
Dunno. Coaches normally take every opportunity to unequivocally support their captain in public. Saying "we review everything at the end of every series" is pretty much media speak for "very close to the arse".

cpr

International Coach
Not sure myself - smacked of a 'I'd rather you wait a few weeks to berate us for selecting that shunt than start giving me stick now' type comment.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
plunkers taking wickets for EPP, definitely could work his way in there, I reckon,

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can see Moeen Ali becoming next to useless in Australia, but he has to play. England seem to pick and use Stokes depending on a lucky dip, so who knows what they'll draw out of a hat this time. Should be in the squad though because he rises to the occasion and is suited to Australian conditions.

England's bowling lineup should be quite straight forward though really. Anderson, Broad, Finn, Jordan and Moeen Ali are your main 5. Simple. Tredwell and some other seamer to fill out the squad.

Bopara can **** off because he's useless in Australian conditions and big games just exaggerate it further. Couldn't care if he'd scored a century and took 5-fer in each match in meaningless sub-continent matches

amanuensis

U19 12th Man
Can see Moeen Ali becoming next to useless in Australia, but he has to play. England seem to pick and use Stokes depending on a lucky dip, so who knows what they'll draw out of a hat this time. Should be in the squad though because he rises to the occasion and is suited to Australian conditions.

England's bowling lineup should be quite straight forward though really. Anderson, Broad, Finn, Jordan and Moeen Ali are your main 5. Simple. Tredwell and some other seamer to fill out the squad.

Bopara can **** off because he's useless in Australian conditions and big games just exaggerate it further. Couldn't care if he'd scored a century and took 5-fer in each match in meaningless sub-continent matches
With bat or ball or both (Ali)?