• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dhoni - Best ODI Batsman Of All Time ?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Players like Desmond Haynes, Javed Miandad, Dean Jones and Greg Chappell shouldn't be forgotten in these discussions
Why isn't Gordon Greenidge mentioned in these discussions? Great, great ODI batsman.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Dhoni's finishing is just one aspect to batting though. ODI batting is so particular with its roles. Klusener was an insane finisher, but don't ask him to bat in the middle overs. Some batsmen are incredible at keeping the singles flowing, whereas others struggle. Some anchor innings' at good SR's, allowing others to play expansively.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think the point is Dhoni has shown more of himself as a top order batsman and a middle overs player as well as a finisher in his ODI career, than any other ONE batsman has done.. Neither Sir Viv, nor Sachin nor Bevan have shown even the limited versatility in batting positions and the way they play in each of those roles as Dhoni has done. That cannot be forgotten here. I am not saying that alone makes him better than them but that is a very strong point that needs to be considered.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Best on the occasions that matter i'd say. The amount of times he has stood up in a big game or a tight situation can't be ignored.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
There was an insane period in 2008 where chases were literally Dhoni not out - India win, Dhoni gets out, India lose.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Dhoni is exceptional. There is no room for improvement in his ODI batting...no role he is incapable of playing in the middle order. He is a great finisher, but also a great consolidator and one of the world's best in the late overs of a first innings.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Best ODI batsman of all time? For India, maybe, but worldwide, I'd say Viv Richards is still the best. Dhoni's slightly behind Tendulkar, and barely ahead of AB largely due to the number of ODI caps he has. What makes his nearly decade-old career in ODIs impressive is that he's been raking up the numbers from lower down the order, and he has always played as a wicketkeeper, much like Gilly, unlike his South African counterpart AB. Plenty of batsmen have got breathtakingly good figures lately, so what should decide the best ODI batting top six, forget single best ODI batsman, should be the number of ODI caps, and also what was the going rate during each batsman's time. Amla will have his rough patches, AB and Dhoni have had theirs, but I guess only when their careers end or they reach career milestones, can we decide.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Dhoni is exceptional. There is no room for improvement in his ODI batting...no role he is incapable of playing in the middle order. He is a great finisher, but also a great consolidator and one of the world's best in the late overs of a first innings.
This is going one level too far :)

91Jmay

International Coach
15 off 5 balls isn't really a staggering feat, its the consistency with which Dhoni does that type of thing which makes him so astonishing. As a finisher there is no one currently better, and few better in the history of the game.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Most batsmen who bat in the top 6 of an international ODI side would easily score 15 from 5 balls in a match situation.

I think one thing that's forgotten is that it's very hard to evaluate ODI cricketers from past eras to the modern ones. 280-300 odd is basically a par score nowadays. In the late 80s, 220 was probably considered a very good score.

Players like Desmond Haynes, Javed Miandad, Dean Jones and Greg Chappell shouldn't be forgotten in these discussions
I think you could've safely said that a couple of years ago, but lately the par scores seem to have dipped.

15 off 5 balls isn't really a staggering feat, its the consistency with which Dhoni does that type of thing which makes him so astonishing. As a finisher there is no one currently better, and few better in the history of the game.
yeah this.

He's just behind Viv and Sachin, and ahead of Bevan, for me. De Villiers doesn't even come into the picture, IMO. Amla maybe in a couple of years.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
So share some instances when "most good batsmen" scored 15 of 5 balls. :D
International ODI batsmen requiring 15 off 5 balls would back themselves in most instances. When it's on the line, and getting out (or not) isn't the primary consideration, you can hit most stuff to the boundary.

Daemon

Nah, that's rubbish. We'd be seeing much more productive final few overs than what we get in reality if that were the case.

Look at super over scores for example.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Nah, that's rubbish. We'd be seeing much more productive final few overs than what we get in reality if that were the case.

Look at super over scores for example.
I can't be arsed looking it up, and I'm not really sure how to, but I'd wager that in the last over of an ODI when there were two top 6 batsmen still at the crease (obvs with wickets in hand) that the avg score would be about 15 (or more) for the over

Daemon

Dunno, but where did 15 from 5 come from anyways, he scored 14 in 3 didn't he?

Personally think it's a stupid line of argument anyways, anyone on their day can do it, the only important thing is to see how consistently a batsmen has finished off innings in that manner.