• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dhoni - Best ODI Batsman Of All Time ?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I agree that he's up there. Definitely.

Of course this next point is massively biased, but by the end of their careers, I believe both Hashim Amla and ABDV will be considered at a similar level to MSD. Obviously Hashim hasn't proven it over a long period of time, but I do believe he can maintain ODI dominance, if not necessarily at a ridiculous average of 55.

For now I'd definitely have Dhoni rated higher than both due to his longevity. But if AB and Hash maintain their levels of performance, I reckon we'll have two more to add to that Dhoni tier.

Which makes one wonder if Dhoni is genuinely up there with Viv and SRT, given that people playing in the same era as him can keep up with him. That wasn't really the case for Viv and SRT.

I am not sure if Sachin did not have comparable batsmen as his contemporaries in ODI cricket. Of course, his longevity is much greater than his peers, but to say he was always unparalleled as an ODI batsman during his career is overstating how good he was. IMO, he is still the #1 ODI batsman I have seen but it is not as if he was light years ahead of the next guy...

smash84

The Tiger King
and yeah it was Xuhaib that said about Dhoni being the best ODI batsman by the time he retires....although given his track record he might have retracted it :p

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Sorry, no. Probably in the top 2 one day finishers of all time along with Bevan. Good enough to get in the side with his batting. But Tendulkar and Viv (and a few others) still way ahead of him on the ODI batting front as a whole. The man is a rockstar though :)
Yeah, this. Great batsman, but I'd put him below the trinity of Bevan, Viv and Tendulkar, and even below the likes of Ponting. Who knows by the end though.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
can make it to the AT ODI XI as a batsman alone, at 6, without pushing Gilly out of the opener's role (with Tendulkar).

when dhoni plays cricket of any format, I am honestly transported back to the time when I would be able to smell the leather in my palms all the time and see the pink stain from the shiny new ball on all my trousers; when I would permanently feel the dull ache on my shin and the bones wherever the ball might have hit me. he makes me feel clear-headed, like you feel after a good jog, every time he takes an uncomplicated cricketing decision on the field and executes it to perfection. he reminds me that cricket is a very physical game; and that analyzing the strategies, breaking down the stats, and even watching it live can never match the pleasure of actually playing it.
Yeah, Dhoni's career is a fairy tale. Exemplifies fact-is-stranger-than-fiction.

gvenkat

State Captain
Dude, I cant get that romantic writing about my fiancee.. You tryin to be Sakshi's competition? :p

Juz kiddin mate.. I totally get what you said. That is how I used to feel watching BCL bat.. It was just suddenly more than just a game, more than about winning or losing, or about numbers and targets.. It was an art, a science and almost an Act of God :)
With your permission I'm going to plagiarize this " It was just suddenly more than just a game, more than about winning or losing, or about numbers and targets.. It was an art, a science and almost an Act of God". :D

The man has to be the best ODI batsman I have seen. Forget Viv, Forget Tendulkar. MSD has done so much, Achieved a lot more than these two with his bat and his captaincy. He has to be the best.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Best finisher for sure. But at this point I think the 'legend' of Dhoni's finishing ability is starting to effect his opponents, who are folding mentally. Its funny because I've always thought technically Dhoni was a poor batsman. It just shows how much mentality really matters when it comes to batting.

gvenkat

State Captain
Best finisher for sure. But at this point I think the 'legend' of Dhoni's finishing ability is starting to effect his opponents, who are folding mentally. Its funny because I've always thought technically Dhoni was a poor batsman. It just shows how much mentality really matters when it comes to batting.
I would not say Technically poor. I would say Technically limited. :). But Technique as they say is over-rated. lol

NasserFan207

I would not say Technically poor. I would say Technically limited. :). But Technique as they say is over-rated. lol
It really is. Though I think in Dhoni's case what makes him such a great one day batsman is his bottom hand. It works so well in the modern game. Bowlers are better of just bowling test match length to him IMO. Would still probably get smacked though.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
It really is. Though I think in Dhoni's case what makes him such a great one day batsman is his bottom hand. It works so well in the modern game. Bowlers are better of just bowling test match length to him IMO. Would still probably get smacked though.
Excuse my ignorance, but wasn't test match length what Eranga bowled in the final over?

gvenkat

State Captain
Yes, But he still got smacked. So that is ur best option to bowl and not get smacked. Actually the first ball he bowled was good, Bowled it wide off the stumps.

NasserFan207

Problem is that a lot of ODI bowlers are not that great at standard length bowling, truthfully. I mean, Eranga gets carted in test cricket doing that, so its not surprising.

ricky8741

Cricket Spectator
HOW MANY SO CALLED GREAT BATSMAEN can score 15 of 5 balls with 2 balls to spare in a final on a difficult pitch

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I'm sure most good batsmen could.
But most batsmen haven't when put in that situation......Dhoni has.

Is he the best ever? I think he's in the argument. He's past the second tier now and belongs with Viv and Sachin in the argument.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
But most batsmen haven't when put in that situation......Dhoni has.

Is he the best ever? I think he's in the argument. He's past the second tier now and belongs with Viv and Sachin in the argument.
Most batsmen who bat in the top 6 of an international ODI side would easily score 15 from 5 balls in a match situation.

I think one thing that's forgotten is that it's very hard to evaluate ODI cricketers from past eras to the modern ones. 280-300 odd is basically a par score nowadays. In the late 80s, 220 was probably considered a very good score.

Players like Desmond Haynes, Javed Miandad, Dean Jones and Greg Chappell shouldn't be forgotten in these discussions