• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket jargon pet hates

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
AWTA, I always thought you were supposed to mention the wickets taken first, e.g 9/21. It frustrates me when it's the other way around.
It depends whether you're talking about batsmen or bowlers, and where you are in the world.

In Australia, you would say 4/235 for a batting team's score. In England and, I think, the rest of the world (not sure about NZ) it would be 235/4, which I think makes a bit more sense, because it puts the actual score first before qualifying it with the number of wickets lost.

When you're talking about a bowler's analysis, it's wickets first every time (including I think in Oz): we would say a bowler took 3/23. Again, putting his achievement first, in this case wickets taken, before qualifying it with runs given away.

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
"Held their nerves". Hate it because it's mostly used in hindsight and adds nothing in terms of adding insights into what happened in the match.

watson

Banned
I've never understood why anyone would want to bowl left-arm chinaman.

What's the point in going through so much contorted effort just to get the ball to move back into the right-hand batsman so he thrash it over mid-wicket?

stumpski

International Captain

What's the point in going through so much contorted effort just to get the ball to move back into the right-hand batsman so he thrash it over mid-wicket?

Well you've got the googly variation I suppose - the one that leaves the right-hander - plus there are a lot of left-handed batsman in the game now, but it's still a style hardly ever seen outside Australia (I think only two or three individuals have ever bowled it for England).

"Good areas" I dislike, also "executing skills" and why do targets always get "chased down" now, rather than simply chased, or achieved? I don't mind "nurdled" - it's got an antiquated, agrarian sound to it - probably what the Hambledon guys did with their curved bats. :)

uvelocity

International Coach
Was actually named after someone of Chinese extraction though, wasn't it? Puss Achong from memory?

Would give you French/Chinese cuts tho.
dunno. would give you a flogging but :ph34r:

Trying to think of another one.... indian summer? pretty sure Mark Nicholas (hate him) has used that one

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I like Mark Nicholas, but "sixer" annoys me. He also says "MAXIMUM" for a six. Seems like a contrived way of making 20/20 more "exciting for the people".

Slater and Nicholas commenting on a 20/20 are the worst, "the buzz here is ELECTRIC", "SIXER...MAXIMUM".
It is the rock n roll version of the game tbf.

smash84

The Tiger King
absolutely hate "MAXIMUM"....Ramiz Raja uses that a lot...so does Mark Nicholas I think

on a somewhat related note also hate Greig's "up she goes".......

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Warne just dropped one: "busyness". He's a "busy cricketer".

What does that even mean? Turd but tries a lot of things quickly?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Any reference to Geoff Boycott's grandmother

Any reference to "lollipop bowling"

Used to hate hearing about the "corridor of uncertainty" when it first came in to vogue - almost miss it now though

Bonnie Prince C

U19 12th Man

Why does anyone bowl offspin on the same basis?

I have bowled some overs of chinaman bowling in my time and I have found it pretty effective as it actually turns on tracks with very little assistance, it is easier to get bounce with compared to SLA I find and the straight one is very effective. If I had more time to work on it would probably bowl it properly.