• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Broad cops up a bit of trouble.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Disagree....Prior was out of the crease at the time Asif collected the ball and the way Asif threw the ball..which was at Prior's toes suggested he was trying to aim for the stumps and not Prior's head/chest like Broad did....only when Prior ground his bat the ball hit him....Asif has a case of running Prior out...Broad does not....
Not sure it's quite as straightforward as that. Asif's throw missed the stumps by a greater distance than Broad's. And as everyone now seems to agree, Haider was out of his ground.

One point that people seem to think is relevant is that Haider wasn't attempting a run. So what? Cbf to check the Laws, but I thought you didn't need to be attempting a run in order to be run out. You just need to be out of your ground. If my assumption on that is wrong then doubtless someone will set me right.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Not sure it's quite as straightforward as that. Asif's throw missed the stumps by a greater distance than Broad's. And as everyone now seems to agree, Haider was out of his ground.

One point that people seem to think is relevant is that Haider wasn't attempting a run. So what? Cbf to check the Laws, but I thought you didn't need to be attempting a run in order to be run out. You just need to be out of your ground. If my assumption on that is wrong then doubtless someone will set me right.
Broad should have appealed for obstructing the field.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Let me clarify. I'm not arguing that he didn't benefit from being a cricketer. His sentence would've been lengthier if he wasn't who he was. My point is that he didn't get off scott free either. He was arrested and subsequently banned for life from UAE. That's a harsh sentence for a first time offender who got caught with a recreational drug - and that too without the intent to distribute. In most places in the world, that would've hardly raised an eyebrow. I'm not defending his actions mind you; he knew the law of the land and was a **** for doing what he did. I just want to put it in perspective that's all.
Are we calling opium recreational? :unsure: Hmm.

Jacknife

International Captain
Asif was frustrated because England had just lost two wickets? :unsure:

I think there's a big difference people are overlooking - Prior was out of his crease and was getting back in when he got hit, Haider was just standing there. Haven't seen the Colly one.
I'm talking in general terms about Asif, he's done this twice in 2 tests and I've seen him do this before,it's obviously a act of frustration whoever does it. It's something that has crept in to the game more and more.They mentioned on Sky that county cricket officials have been told to keep a eye on incidents like these because they have seen it happen more and more the last couple of seasons.
Some posters have said that they can't believe some people are defending Broad,while I think it works both ways ,I can't believe some people are defending Asif especially since he's done it twice.I think whatever Broad in general does seems to get drawn out of proportion.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain

Agreed...Haider seemed out of the ground but didn't even move his feet. He was standing outside the crease to bat in order to cover the swing...but when Prior blocked the ball towards Asif...he charged more or less towards Asif along with it....For the throw part of the situation...i personally felt the way Broad threw it and the way Asif did it was a bit different...Asif's throw was not aimed at hurting the batsman it was a very low throw and had Prior been facing Asif it would have crashed into the pads..it was only that Prior turned his back to Asif.....Broad threw it as if he was aiming for Haider's head/chest....

Anyways...its a done deal...could have been a tit for tat response from Asif for all i care...

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
The only good i see coming out of this for Pak is that Broad's aggression was checked and may have thrown him off a bit mentally....

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Agreed...Haider seemed out of the ground but didn't even move his feet. He was standing outside the crease to bat in order to cover the swing...but when Prior blocked the ball towards Asif...he charged more or less towards Asif along with it....For the throw part of the situation...i personally felt the way Broad threw it and the way Asif did it was a bit different...Asif's throw was not aimed at hurting the batsman it was a very low throw and had Prior been facing Asif it would have crashed into the pads..it was only that Prior turned his back to Asif.....Broad threw it as if he was aiming for Haider's head/chest....

Anyways...its a done deal...could have been a tit for tat response from Asif for all i care...
So you're saying Asif merely missed the target with his throw by a good 3-4 feet when hitting Prior, yet Broad is deadly accurate and hit what he aimed for.

Bollocks.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Broad should have been suspended for this game, and his runs ought to be removed from the scorecard. Scandalous.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Credit to this guy, he may be a ****, but he has shown he won't let any criticism affect his cricket, except to spur him on in a positive way. Could be England's answer to the "ugly Aussie cricketer" stereotype. :ph34r:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yep, they've needed that for decades and he's finally arrived.

Ticks all the boxes too.

Blonde? Check
Wanker? Check
Can play? Check