• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bhajji 'slaps' Sreesanth, leaves him cryin

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyone remember what Scyld Berry said in his Editor's comments for this year's Wisden? He wrote:

"I fear the day is approaching when a high-profile, televised cricket match will see an outbreak of physical violence on the field, and nothing could be more injurious to all concerned"

Prescient, indeed, but I doubt even he thought it would come quite so soon.
If Berry was to use this as justification for his Henny Penny-ism, it'd be disingenuous in the extreme considering both blokes play for the same national team. In fact, far from his conclusion that international rivalries are getting closer to violence on-field, the only incidents we've seen have been between team-mates! The IPL, I believe, will do much to ensure at least the current crop of players calm things down a bit.

A lot of misunderstandings on-field occur through lack of knowledge about opposition players and I would think, having spent a month playing with blokes from other countries, much of that lack of understanding will be nullified. Matt Hayden in particular, I would think, will walk away from this with a bit more respect because he definitely comes across as one of those guys who is great to have on your team but a total knob to play against.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Matt Hayden in particular, I would think, will walk away from this with a bit more respect because he definitely comes across as one of those guys who is great to have on your team but a total knob to play against.
Dont know about others but to me he came across as a great guy in his interviews during various tours of India. That's why I was totally surprised at his Radio Interview where he mocked the accent. Even now when I see him play for Chennai SKings and hear him talk in the post/pre game interviews he sounds like a great guy. You can see

Top_Cat

Dont know about others but to me he came across as a great guy in his interviews during various tours of India. That's why I was totally surprised at his Radio Interview where he mocked the accent. Even now when I see him play for Chennai SKings and hear him talk in the post/pre game interviews he sounds like a great guy. You can see
I reckon he just let his frustration with the whole Harbi situation, particularly considering Symonds is one of his best mates, get to him a bit. We all do it occasionally. Like I said, the general perception is that Hayden is great value off-field and on your team but you'd hate to play against him. McGrath was similar.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Indeed, so how can we punish one and not punish the other ? And that's what I said that both Bhajji and SreeSanth should be punished. And you came up with your 'You hate him....' theory ? Really what proof do you have about me hating him ?
if nothing can be concluded with any certainty, what are you even talking about punishment for? and obviously the only proof i have of any hate/contempt/dislike(and you seem to be banging on the hate word a lot) is the almost violent loathing with which you seem to talk(i mean post) about him...

The guy himself says that it was like a WWF punch, so why was he crying ? the guy is a freak. There are hundres of Videos on the internet acting like one. He has changed his story almost 5 times since then. You seek proof everything others say, why dont you first provide the proof that I hate SreeSanth.
right you don't think you need to prove anything but you seek proof from me, nice...anyway i have told you why i think so...admittedly you come out with strong invective about a lot of people/things, so i guess you either detest these people/things or you just love using the strongest, most vitriolic language for fun, maybe?...whatever, i really don't care that much to be honest with you...

SreeSanth is a Drama Queen, it is well known, his fake toughness, his fake aggerssion, infact every thing about him is fake and that includes his bowling. He is not good enough with the bowl hence he tries his cheap tactics with the batsman. Since his debut, Sree has been all drama nothing else. If you dont believe it fine, but I do believe it and I dont have to give any proof to anyone.
i do think he is an idiot and that he is not good enough to follow through on his ridiculous boasts, i just don't think he is as bad a bowler as you suggest and there has been more substance to his bowling than you claim...

If Bhajji is a hot headed moron, so is SreeSanth. The guy didn't spare Tendulkar in the challenger series. He talks crap, with everyone and this time he met his match. It was going to happen someday to him, too bad it was his own team mate.
maybe...

Duh...Guilty of Provocation. Let the provocateur not get way with it again. As for proof, none of us any proof about anytyhing. Do you have a proof of Bhajji Slapping SreeSanth ?
in the same paragraph you say no one has proof of bhajji slapping him, you also say santh is guilty of provocation...if nothing happened or if something happened that we don't know about, based on what are you condemning any one party(or both)? i admitted after reading multiple articles that it doesn't seem as straightforward as i had thought before but you contradict yourself in the same argument...

Your Bias is so apparent here, that you are treating SreeSanth as the innocent party and Bhajji as the guilty one. Not only that you have accused me of hating SreeSanth, juse because I wanted him to get punished as well.
bias is when you have a strong preference for one over the other irrespective of facts, i haven't shown any such thing...i just reacted to the news the way i heard it first, now i hear all the rumours, i really don't have a good idea what happened and because of that i am not judging/condemning either...

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
if nothing can be concluded with any certainty, what are you even talking about punishment for? and obviously the only proof i have of any hate/contempt/dislike(and you seem to be banging on the hate word a lot) is the almost violent loathing with which you seem to talk(i mean post) about him...
Nonsense. I have clearly said that I dislike his antics and he is not the only one. Bhajji is another. I have no reason to hate any cricketer, but I can certainly dislike their act on the field and make an opinion about their character based on their behaviour. Just like you have made that opinion about Bhajji, I have made that opinion on both of them.

Based on the initial reports, it does appear that SreeSanth is not innocent either and guilty of provocation, hence my post about his punishment. I am absolutely certain that your own bias is getting the better of you on this matter.

right you don't think you need to prove anything but you seek proof from me, nice...anyway i have told you why i think so...admittedly you come out with strong invective about a lot of people/things, so i guess you either detest these people/things or you just love using the strongest, most vitriolic language for fun, maybe?...whatever, i really don't care that much to be honest with you...
Who really gives a damn about what you care and what you dont. And yes I have said in the past that I have strong likes and dislikes about things, people. I give my opinion on them and move on. I dont really hate them. I post my opinion about them and move on, I dont have to give proof to anyone about anything. I can give you an example. I have very strong dislikeness for Richard's posts and the way he carries his arguments on the forum. But I absolutely do not hate him, I would never want bad things to happen to him. I have conveyed my feelings about his posts on this forum and have moved on.

You seem to be hell bent on pushing 'you hate him' down my throat with almost every post you make. Needless to say, you have no clue.

i do think he is an idiot and that he is not good enough to follow through on his ridiculous boasts, i just don't think he is as bad a bowler as you suggest and there has been more substance to his bowling than you claim...
He is an average bowler and not as great as some of you like the rest of the world to believe. The guy has a 30+ bowling average in every form of cricket. I am sorry, I can not take him seriously as a bowler. Besides my comment doesn't have much to do with bowling but more to do with his antics on the field.

in the same paragraph you say no one has proof of bhajji slapping him, you also say santh is guilty of provocation...if nothing happened or if something happened that we don't know about, based on what are you condemning any one party(or both)? i admitted after reading multiple articles that it doesn't seem as straightforward as i had thought before but you contradict yourself in the same argument...
Based on the initial reports, If Bhajji is guilty of slapping, then SreeSanth is also guilty of provocating. No one has any conclusive proof of anything, as of now.

bias is when you have a strong preference for one over the other irrespective of facts, i haven't shown any such thing..
And I have ? Where did I say that Bhajji is not guilty ? From the first post I said that both of them should be punished and then you accused me of hating SreeSanth. Why didn't you accuse me hating Bhajji also ? Perhaps because of your own assumptions about Bhajji ?

.i just reacted to the news the way i heard it first, now i hear all the rumours, i really don't have a good idea what happened and because of that i am not judging/condemning either...
So you were the one who had reacted on the news and believed that Bhajji was the guilty one based on your own presumptions about the guy.

Funny thing is that you come here and accuse me of having a bias.

Burgey

If Harbhajan is found guilty of slapping an opposing player, is any sanction limited to the BCCI, or does the ICC have jurisdiction over it, being a sanctioned event and all?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
If Harbhajan is found guilty of slapping an opposing player, is any sanction limited to the BCCI, or does the ICC have jurisdiction over it, being a sanctioned event and all?
BCCI. It's an internal and domestic event. It would be like an incident happening in county cricket - county cricket also 'sanctioned' by the ICC but ICC has no control/jurisdiction over it. ICC only has jurisdiction over international matches.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Nonsense. I have clearly said that I dislike his antics and he is not the only one. Bhajji is another. I have no reason to hate any cricketer, but I can certainly dislike their act on the field and make an opinion about their character based on their behaviour. Just like you have made that opinion about Bhajji, I have made that opinion on both of them.

Based on the initial reports, it does appear that SreeSanth is not innocent either and guilty of provocation, hence my post about his punishment. I am absolutely certain that your own bias is getting the better of you on this matter.

Who really gives a damn about what you care and what you dont. And yes I have said in the past that I have strong likes and dislikes about things, people. I give my opinion on them and move on. I dont really hate them. I post my opinion about them and move on, I dont have to give proof to anyone about anything. I can give you an example. I have very strong dislikeness for Richard's posts and the way he carries his arguments on the forum. But I absolutely do not hate him, I would never want bad things to happen to him. I have conveyed my feelings about his posts on this forum and have moved on.

You seem to be hell bent on pushing 'you hate him' down my throat with almost every post you make. Needless to say, you have no clue.

He is an average bowler and not as great as some of you like the rest of the world to believe. The guy has a 30+ bowling average in every form of cricket. I am sorry, I can not take him seriously as a bowler. Besides my comment doesn't have much to do with bowling but more to do with his antics on the field.

Based on the initial reports, If Bhajji is guilty of slapping, then SreeSanth is also guilty of provocating. No one has any conclusive proof of anything, as of now.

And I have ? Where did I say that Bhajji is not guilty ? From the first post I said that both of them should be punished and then you accused me of hating SreeSanth. Why didn't you accuse me hating Bhajji also ? Perhaps because of your own assumptions about Bhajji ?

So you were the one who had reacted on the news and believed that Bhajji was the guilty one based on your own presumptions about the guy.

Funny thing is that you come here and accuse me of having a bias.
there is absolutely no point trying to have a rational discussion with you, it's such a waste of time...so stupid of me to attempt it, should have known better after having seen the nature of your posts for such a long time, anyway i am out of this pretense of one...

Burgey

BCCI. It's an internal and domestic event. It would be like an incident happening in county cricket - county cricket also 'sanctioned' by the ICC but ICC has no control/jurisdiction over it. ICC only has jurisdiction over international matches.
If a player is suspended arising out of an incident in an IPL match, will it carry over to international matches, is I guess what I'm not sure about.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
there is absolutely no point trying to have a rational discussion with you, it's such a waste of time...so stupid of me to attempt it, should have known better after having seen the nature of your posts for such a long time, anyway i am out of this pretense of one...
'der aamad durust aamad' Anil :)

Burgey

Just read the article on Cricinfo about this, it seems there will be a "provocation" argument run here.

If he's slapped Sreesanth, and the powers that be wear a "I was provoked" argument, it's a joke. Surely some self-control needs to be exercised.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just read the article on Cricinfo about this, it seems there will be a "provocation" argument run here.

If he's slapped Sreesanth, and the powers that be wear a "I was provoked" argument, it's a joke. Surely some self-control needs to be exercised.
Heh, I lol'd when I heard that on TV this morning, with Harbhajan's team saying that if he's punished Sree should be as well as he was constantly provoking Harbhajan's team through the match.

Absolute garbage, I almost wish Symonds or some other big unit decks him and uses the same defence in the future.

Flem274*

123/5
You've finally realized. :p

Just get him to put you on ignore and join the half of the forum that he never reads.

biased indian

International Coach
in the end i think ambanis will benift the most out of this :laugh:

if harbhajan is baned for the rest of the tournamnet he would have only played 3 matches and not the 4 required for the payment....

Burgey

How can you get a three test ban for verbal stuff, yet just lose out on some T20 domestic games for physically assaulting an opposing player? :crazy:

pasag

RTDAS
How can you get a three test ban for verbal stuff, yet just lose out on some T20 domestic games for physically assaulting an opposing player? :crazy:
Racist comments can be much more harmful than a little slap though. If he would have clocked him, it's another matter though. Also if it would have happened in a Test he would have gotten a similar or heavier punishment to Harbi's initial Test ban in Aus.

Burgey

Racist comments can be much more harmful than a little slap though. If he would have clocked him, it's another matter though. Also if it would have happened in a Test he would have gotten a similar or heavier punishment to Harbi's initial Test ban in Aus.
Not so sure - once you cross a line and things get physical, where does it end? Can't disagree about heavy penalties for racist abuse though.

pasag

RTDAS
Not so sure - once you cross a line and things get physical, where does it end? Can't disagree about heavy penalties for racist abuse though.
Depends on the severity of the physical action, IMO. I for one would be a lot more hurt at a discriminatory comment as opposed to a slap from an idiot. If I was beaten the crap out of, then that's another story.