• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bhajji 'slaps' Sreesanth, leaves him cryin

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If the incident happened in a domestic-Twenty20 game, really, it makes sense for the bans to relate to domestic-Twenty20 games.

If the incident happened in Tests, likewise.
Do you mean this incident in particular or physical violence in general?

It seems odd that if someone assaulted another player in a domestic game, they could be banned from that comp, yet be picked to represent their country because the incident didn't occur in an international game.

unccricket

School Boy/Girl Captain
can't wait til the next tour of england....

when harbhajan is batting: they'll thow boxing gloves onto the pitch

when sreesanth is batting: kleenex tissues onto the pitch,

taking jellygate to the next level! it is going to be pure comedy whenever sreesanth plays from now on. i don't think he is a wuss or hate him or anything, i just find it the incident to be hilarious.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
excuse me .. i have a prove.. even today if u see cricinfo.com.. u will find the news of Sreesanth and Harbajan in the third row column.. and the news never made the top column.. while shaoib and asif's news was in the top calumn for days.. the india madia made a laugh out of it.... and most importantly i never saw it reported in star news of india the way they reported shoaib and asif's news.. look up there i have provided the website..
Haroon510, Read this :-

http://blogs.cricinfo.com/bluesbrothers/archives/2008/04/slap_without_tickle.php

With specials programmes like Chhante ki Goonj (The Resounding Slap) and Tamache ka Takkar (The Clash of the Slap) – and I hope I have those names right – making a further mockery of news television, Harbhajan has gone from national hero to international anti-hero, from one ridiculous extreme to another.

Hope you still subscribe to those Indian channels.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
First half of this thread is so embarrassing. Shame on those who insulted Sreesanth for acting as a human. I highly doubt it was just the slap that upset him, it's the psycological attatchments. Can't believe it needs to be explained really.

It was nice to see quite a few of his Indian teammates embracing him.

As for Harbs... :@

sideshowtim

Banned
First half of this thread is so embarrassing. Shame on those who insulted Sreesanth for acting as a human. I highly doubt it was just the slap that upset him, it's the psycological attatchments. Can't believe it needs to be explained really.

It was nice to see quite a few of his Indian teammates embracing him.

As for Harbs... :@
Definitely agree. I hate Sreesanth, but those criticising him for reacting like a human being to a dog act need to give themselves a huge uppercut.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
He has always been like that. Its just that in India we thought its what makes for better cricketers. Australians are world's number one team because they are such jerks .. see ! :)
Exactly - that's the root of the problem. We reward acting like Australia and then complain when someone takes it too far. I've never been a fan of acting like a complete moron on the field - the aggression thing is overrated. If WI could become all time greats without having to resort to it, then it's not necessary. Australia can do what it likes, and obviously it works for them, but that doesn't mean it should be the same for every country.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
This was just a matter of time. I've said this before: when you provoke, agitate, mouth-off.. sooner or later someone's going to get physical. Those who endorse sledging, should now have a deeper think. Had this been between players of 2 different countries, the ramifications would be enormous.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Do you mean this incident in particular or physical violence in general?

It seems odd that if someone assaulted another player in a domestic game, they could be banned from that comp, yet be picked to represent their country because the incident didn't occur in an international game.
I doubt anyone will be picked to represent their country through the course of a long-term ban in domestic cricket. Certainly never happens in football.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Exactly - that's the root of the problem. We reward acting like Australia and then complain when someone takes it too far. I've never been a fan of acting like a complete moron on the field - the aggression thing is overrated. If WI could become all time greats without having to resort to it, then it's not necessary. Australia can do what it likes, and obviously it works for them, but that doesn't mean it should be the same for every country.
I'm not sure Bhaji was 'acting like Australia'...he's been an idiot for a long time. There are dickheads in every country. Same with Sreesanth, although I have to admit I felt sorry for him in this instance! McDermott was on the receiving end of some rather racist taunts from the WI boys. I'm not saying they were as bad as Australia has been made out to be, but it's all relative really.

funnygirl

State Regular
They are made for each other .I am happy with the consequences .Sree definitely needed a slap to arrange his loose head and Bhajji deserved a ban .Fantastic .

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I'm not sure Bhaji was 'acting like Australia'...
No, he is acting like himself, which is an idiot. My point was that India used to frown upon boorish behavior, sledging, etc. Now we embrace it so we can be like Australia. I am saying you don't need to sledge to be great.

Burgey

No, he is acting like himself, which is an idiot. My point was that India used to frown upon boorish behavior, sledging, etc. Now we embrace it so we can be like Australia. I am saying you don't need to sledge to be great.
What was it Ravi Shastri said on Australian radio last summer?

"You don't just feed an Indian player a couple of steaks and that turns him into an Australian" or something like that.

You make a good point there mate. What works for one player/ team/ cricketing culture doesn't necessarily work for another.

Do you think that the "tougher" attitude yo're alluding to has been a contrivance, or omethign that is genuinely trying to be fostered in India?

Top_Cat

No, they're embracing their perception of Australia's behaviour. That's why they suck at it and keep getting in trouble where the Aussies don't (or very often anyway).

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
No, they're embracing their perception of Australia's behaviour. That's why they suck at it and keep getting in trouble where the Aussies don't (or very often anyway).
I don't disagree with you. The Aussies through their domestic system are brought up knowing exactly how to sledge and what is over the line and not. Many of the Indians don't have that as sledging is not as big in the Indian system, so when they get there, they think its anything goes because thats what they think Australia are doing.

So the public keeps egging them to emulate Australia, and they try doing it but failing because they are inexperienced and can't do it the same way, especially if you are very new like Sreesanth. And of course you have guys like Harbhajan who are separate from the whole thing as they are just morons by their very nature, as I've been saying.