• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bhajji 'slaps' Sreesanth, leaves him cryin

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, this is such a dire post.

A family friend once got into a fight outside a pub, after an argument about use of the pool table. He'd had a few drinks, so had the other guy, and the other guy's friend. He got hit a few times, fell down, got severe brain damage and died a few weeks later.

But of course, your anecdotes are everything, and fighting over pointless crap is totally harmless and never hurts anyone.
yeah...the concept that you are a man only if you flex your muscles and get physical is at the same time one of the biggest, most pathetic and most dangerous stereotypes...

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
do you have any proof that sreesanth actually cried in order to get back at harb? in fact do you have any sure knowledge of why he cried?
Do You have the proof that SreeSanth was slapped ? No I do not know why he was crying and I would like to know. I thought I was only fair when I said that I am not going to trust either of the two and based on initial reports, I said both should be banned, because SreeSanth didn't come across as an innocent victim in this incident.

And the more I read, the more it appears to be the case that SreeSanth isn't innocent here either.

if it was a deliberate act, there are other, much better ways of doing so...he could've just reported the issue and be done with it instead of generating fake tears...what about his past antics leads you to believe that?
SreeSanth isn't known for being smart. Obviously there are many ways and but being the Drama Queen Sree has been all his life, He certainly is incapable of going any other way. His tears are indeed appear fake to me. Was he crying because of pain ? Or just because he was hurt by Bhajji's behaviour and slapping, if later then I must say he should look at himself first and his own behaviour.

your logic doesn't make much sense....hate/contempt/dislike...whatever it is...the simple fact that you cannot look at this incident in isolation and come to a conclusion shows that you are prejudging the guy based on your past perceptions...
So have most people who have posted in this thread on Bhajji's behaviour. Almost everyone's opinion is swayed by Bhajji's past behavior as well. So why should we not take SreeSanth's past acts ? Wont that be fair ?

i still think the guy is an idiot and has shown a fair bit of instability after coming into the limelight, what i can't see is based on what we've heard so far, how he is to blame for this incident?
It seems that whatever you have read, either was blatantly in favor of SreeSanth or may be you let your bias get the better of your judgement. What proof you are talking about ?

Here is Lalit Modi himself :-

"The incident in itself is sketchy. There is no clear evidence at this moment, there are different versions about what may have happened..."

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Story...dline=Bhajji,+Sree+row+not+good+for+IPL:+Modi

The Drama Queen Himself :-

""He has all the right for what he has done. No complaints,"

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/007200804261757.htm

There are 100s of articles avaialble to know read and there is enough information to know that SreeSanth isn't innocent.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
i have to say this that cricinfo (neutral source) and most of the other indian media sources are doing unfairly job to keep this out of media.. and i am questioning this.. why the media are doing this.. they put the asif and shoaib deal out there on the top calmn in cricinfo and the indian media blow it out of proportion.. why difference betwteen two issues.. the seem fairly the same..and they are supposed to covered, broadcast, and treated the same way..
What you smokin man? This is lead story on every news channel be it English, Hindi and all of the local dialect channels. Gets a solid 20 minutes every hour devoted to it. You truly are blinkered. Or on drugs I guess.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
What you smokin man? This is lead story on every news channel be it English, Hindi and all of the local dialect channels. Gets a solid 20 minutes every hour devoted to it. You truly are blinkered. Or on drugs I guess.
Absolutely correct and it is frontpage headlines in almost all main English dailies.

pasag

RTDAS
Lol, Harbi is no Barry Hall and Sreesanth is no Brent Staker, that's for sure.

A bit ironic that the IPL has been mending relationships all over, so much so that I'd go as far as to say that cross country player relationships are at a record high in the past 30 years, and at the same time, because of the IPL, we now have a possible rift occurring in the Indian national team, a team that was becoming known for the tightness of its players.

That said, as with in Australia, what we're dealing with is a bunch of emotionally ******** sportsmen, who through years of training and being segmented from real society have ended up with the maturity of 13 year olds. I mean slapping someone? Crying? Bloody hell.

duffer

Lol, Harbi is no Barry Hall and Sreesanth is no Brent Staker, that's for sure.

A bit ironic that the IPL has been mending relationships all over, so much so that I'd go as far as to say that cross country player relationships are at a record high in the past 30 years, and at the same time, because of the IPL, we now have a possible rift occurring in the Indian national team, a team that was becoming known for the tightness of its players.

That said, as with in Australia, what we're dealing with is a bunch of emotionally ******** sportsmen, who through years of training and being segmented from real society have ended up with the maturity of 13 year olds. I mean slapping someone? Crying? Bloody hell.
True about the IPL doing things for world cricket unity. Cricket has always been somewhat divided on race/national lines and these types of interactions between white and black players is awesome to see, but as far as the national team is concerned these two have already forgiven each other so no likely rift will happen there. Plus the fact that Bhaj has no-one to blame but himself should(logically) see any malice from his viewpoint die down.

As for Aussie sportsmen. Indian athletes have a long way to go to catch up with our footy players and our footy players have a long way to go before we catch up with the NFL/NBA players in America. The only way is down unfortunately seems to be the trend.

duffer

There is footage but it hasn't been released publically. Today Sree claimed it was more than a punch and had more in common with wrestling (according to a news channel) so I'd love to see it eventually.

social

Live in Dubai and I can tell you that the papers, like India, are absolutely full of articles on the incident as there is a huge population of South Asian expats here

Interesting thing is that unlike previous controversial incidents involving teams from either India and Pakistan, none of the articles defend Harby and most, like the one below, stick the boot into Sree as well

http://www.gulfnews.com/sport/Cricket/10208854.html

Bottom line is that no-one here is trying to sweep anything under the carpet

pasag

RTDAS
True about the IPL doing things for world cricket unity. Cricket has always been somewhat divided on race/national lines and these types of interactions between white and black players is awesome to see, but as far as the national team is concerned these two have already forgiven each other so no likely rift will happen there. Plus the fact that Bhaj has no-one to blame but himself should(logically) see any malice from his viewpoint die down.

As for Aussie sportsmen. Indian athletes have a long way to go to catch up with our footy players and our footy players have a long way to go before we catch up with the NFL/NBA players in America. The only way is down unfortunately seems to be the trend.
You'd hope so, but the cynic in me says that that was more damage control by the BCCI/IPL forcing the players to make it right. Just an assumption on my part, but I'd imagine there will be grudges held by both parties, even from Harbi if he gets banned, he'll feel he was provoked and it was all Sree's fault. And from all reports Yuvraj wasn't happy either. Obviously it's a far way from the united front we saw in Australia. But yeah, for all I know everyone's made up like the reports have said.

But like I said after Sydney, BCCI must be pretty fed up with Harbi and even Sreesanth to an extent. They're running a huge business and on the verge of what they see as possibly a new dawn in cricket, yet they have two infant livewires running around, causing problems and giving everyone unnecessary headaches.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Raise your hand that if a bowler ever bowled a beamer at Bhaji and it hit him or even it missed him, if you think to yourself and think that he deserved it?
Thought it before this tbh.

a grown up NON CONTACT sport. You don't see Sreesanth crying when people sledge him back. Andre Nel gave him a mouthfull in South AFrica last year, and Sree responded by hitting him back over his head for six.

If it was someone like Ricky Ponting who hit Sreesanth, i'm sure Sree would have pushed him/hit him back or did something, yelled and definately not been crying.

It was because Harbajan is a team mate, and supposed friend
Spot on. Laughable though it is that a fella who portrays himself as some sort of hard man has broken down over it. Still, he's done nothing wrong here, surely?

Just a thought

Why didnt Harby slap Symonds (who apparently said something far worse than Sree)?

I wonder if 6' 4" and 100+ kilos had anything to do with it? :laugh:
Has a lot to do with it. That and Symonds would probably have dropped him like a bad habit.

I thought this guy was Gangstaaa?????:laugh:

I dont think i have ever seen anyone act like this in cricket...only crying face i can think of was of Vinod Kammbli...but he lost WC-semi....he was disappointed......This idiot got slapped
Kim Hughes in 1984-85 FTR.

"I won`t really call it a slap, more like the handshake was in the wrong place.:laugh: :laugh: I told him, I`m OK with it, I`m fine with it.:-O Maybe, next time I meet him in Mumbai,:dry: I`ll give it back on the field," said Sreesanth, member, Kings XI Punjab.

He also ruled out making an official complain against Bhajji, saying the Harbhajan Singh was like an elder brother.

source: Zee News, India
Apparently Harbhajan says he didn't slap him, he just called him a word that sounds like monkey after being provoked.

He slaps you, you punch him, he falls and hits his head on the back of a table, your life changes forever.
Trust you to have a table lying conveniently.............there are no limits to the what-ifs in life........you live by the philosophy of turning the other cheek......good for you.........don't expect everyone to behave in the same way as you do, and don't cry if someone does deck you.
Looks like you kids have never been in a proper fight but like to discuss the possibilities of one till no end.
I have been in a good number of fights(boarding school), been in school boxing squad and witnessed at least a 100 fisticuffs or so more in my 12 years in boarding school.........not one of them caused any serious injury that changed anyone's life.
Try a Wiki search on the name "David Hookes", meat head.
They are both jackasses and this just just shows them up. Its impossible to take sides. Both of them need to come to grief for being such obnoxious fellows and what better way to have that by the two getting into a confrontational situation.

They totally deserve each other.

There are a couple of other Indian cricketers who are equally likely to get into a similar situation if they get carried away when confronted by each other in a similar way.
Can't really agree here on both deserving this, as it appears Sreesanth did nought wrong in this incident.
The last summer out here Harsha Bogle (spelling?) was mentioning the new Indian player who is more confronational than in the past, and who doesn't take a backward step. Is this symptomatic of that culture? If it is, they need to have a look at the meaning of "hardness". The real definition does not include hand bags at 10 paces with team mates.
Tbh, I think the time for that has passed.

Harby has the worst disciplinary record in the game AND in the space of less than 12 months has allegedly committed arguably the worst offences possible in our game.

Talking hasnt worked

The humiliation of appearing in court hasnt worked

Time for an extended holiday accompanied by the financial penalties that will come with having his IPL contract ripped up

Anything less and the cricket world will know that all the statements about cleaning the game up have been nothing more than lip-service
AWTA. How will the BCCI react when the scapegoat in this incident has to be one of their own?
Cricinfo:

A BCCI press release has just landed: "Based on prima facie video evidence as seen and reviewed by the match adjudicator and referee Mr. Farokh Engineer from the tapes provided by Sony & TWI. A decision has been reached to suspend with immediate effect Mr. Harbhajan Singh of the Mumbai Indians pending the inquiry into the incident on Monday, April 28th 2008"
And in breaking news the Mumbai Indians have said that because it's one man's word vs another's and the stump mics haven't picked anything up, they will pull out of the tournament if their man isn't cleared. :ph34r:

did anyone actually see video footage of harbhajan hitting sreesanth? if so, can you send out a link to it? the videos i've seen don't show anything, just sree crying.

i think they are both idiots. sreesanth is going to get sledged over this for the rest of his life, boy better grow some thicker skin. harbhajan, well, he is punjabi....when will that moron learn to keep himself out of potential situations like this.

keep your mouth shut, play your cricket, get paid and go home.
TBF, his reaction probably has as much or more to do with the shock of what happened than the actual action of a slap itself.

Last edited:

Unattainableguy

State 12th Man
lol wow it must have been really embarrasing to have someone slap you in front of the whole crowd and your team mates. Probably that's why he couldn't control his emotions. I'm sure lots of people who supported Bhajji during the AUS tour probably dislike him now hahaha

jeevan

International 12th Man
lol wow it must have been really embarrasing to have someone slap you in front of the whole crowd and your team mates. Probably that's why he couldn't control his emotions. I'm sure lots of people who supported Bhajji during the AUS tour probably dislike him now hahaha
A lot of people supported the defense against the very loaded racism tag, not Harbhajan himself. The guy is a very bad mix of low intelligence and crude behavior that only his mother can really support (and even she had no comment this time around).

James_W

U19 Vice-Captain
On people calling Sreesanth a wuss, nobody called Paul Gascoigne a wuss when he cried in the WC '90 semi-final. Things happen in sport which come as an emotinal shock, whether its the pain of defeat or being betrayed by someone you thought was a friend. Sportsmen are humans; they sometimes cannot control their emotions.

social

A lot of people supported the defense against the very loaded racism tag, not Harbhajan himself. The guy is a very bad mix of low intelligence and crude behavior that only his mother can really support (and even she had no comment this time around).
"Loaded" or just another instalment in a series of atrocious offences from a serial defender?

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Do You have the proof that SreeSanth was slapped ? No I do not know why he was crying and I would like to know. I thought I was only fair when I said that I am not going to trust either of the two and based on initial reports, I said both should be banned, because SreeSanth didn't come across as an innocent victim in this incident.

And the more I read, the more it appears to be the case that SreeSanth isn't innocent here either.
ok i read all the articles you posted and the only thing it tells me is that there are too many stories floating around and nothing can be concluded with any degree of certainty...

SreeSanth isn't known for being smart. Obviously there are many ways and but being the Drama Queen Sree has been all his life, He certainly is incapable of going any other way. His tears are indeed appear fake to me. Was he crying because of pain ? Or just because he was hurt by Bhajji's behaviour and slapping, if later then I must say he should look at himself first and his own behaviour.
well yeah the guy has said and done some stupid things...but you still haven't "proved" anything on the alleged fakeness...

So have most people who have posted in this thread on Bhajji's behaviour. Almost everyone's opinion is swayed by Bhajji's past behavior as well. So why should we not take SreeSanth's past acts ? Wont that be fair ?
i was reacting to one article and an essence of what people had posted here...after reading these other articles you posted, it just makes it more confusing what really happened...and most rational posters here(not everyone mind) were responding to the report of the incident that the two had words and harb apparently lost his cool and slapped him...although there has been no knowledge of physical violence in harb's past, he is well known as a hot-headed moron, hence it was easy to believe the story...however i haven't seen anything in santh's own fairly inglorious past that would suggest the guy would fake crying to get harb into trouble as you are suggesting...there is obviously stuff going on behind the scenes that none of us know about...

It seems that whatever you have read, either was blatantly in favor of SreeSanth or may be you let your bias get the better of your judgement. What proof you are talking about ?

Here is Lalit Modi himself :-

"The incident in itself is sketchy. There is no clear evidence at this moment, there are different versions about what may have happened..."

http://www.hindustantimes.com/Story...dline=Bhajji,+Sree+row+not+good+for+IPL:+Modi

The Drama Queen Himself :-

""He has all the right for what he has done. No complaints,"

http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/007200804261757.htm

There are 100s of articles avaialble to know read and there is enough information to know that SreeSanth isn't innocent.
santh isn't innocent of what exactly? i didn't see any proof in these articles except that the issue has been muddied some...and my bias? where exactly have i displayed said bias?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
ok i read all the articles you posted and the only thing it tells me is that there are too many stories floating around and nothing can be concluded with any degree of certainty...
Indeed, so how can we punish one and not punish the other ? And that's what I said that both Bhajji and SreeSanth should be punished. And you came up with your 'You hate him....' theory ? Really what proof do you have about me hating him ?

well yeah the guy has said and done some stupid things...but you still haven't "proved" anything on the alleged fakeness...
The guy himself says that it was like a WWF punch, so why was he crying ? the guy is a freak. There are hundres of Videos on the internet acting like one. He has changed his story almost 5 times since then. You seek proof everything others say, why dont you first provide the proof that I hate SreeSanth.

i was reacting to one article and an essence of what people had posted here...after reading these other articles you posted, it just makes it more confusing what really happened...and most rational posters here(not everyone mind) were responding to the report of the incident that the two had words and harb apparently lost his cool and slapped him...although there has been no knowledge of physical violence in harb's past, he is well known as a hot-headed moron, hence it was easy to believe the story...however i haven't seen anything in santh's own fairly inglorious past that would suggest the guy would fake crying to get harb into trouble as you are suggesting...there is obviously stuff going on behind the scenes that none of us know about...
SreeSanth is a Drama Queen, it is well known, his fake toughness, his fake aggerssion, infact every thing about him is fake and that includes his bowling. He is not good enough with the bowl hence he tries his cheap tactics with the batsman. Since his debut, Sree has been all drama nothing else. If you dont believe it fine, but I do believe it and I dont have to give any proof to anyone.

If Bhajji is a hot headed moron, so is SreeSanth. The guy didn't spare Tendulkar in the challenger series. He talks crap, with everyone and this time he met his match. It was going to happen someday to him, too bad it was his own team mate.

santh isn't innocent of what exactly? i didn't see any proof in these articles except that the issue has been muddied some...
Duh...Guilty of Provocation. Let the provocateur not get way with it again. As for proof, none of us any proof about anytyhing. Do you have a proof of Bhajji Slapping SreeSanth ?

and my bias? where exactly have i displayed said bias?
Your Bias is so apparent here, that you are treating SreeSanth as the innocent party and Bhajji as the guilty one. Not only that you have accused me of hating SreeSanth, juse because I wanted him to get punished as well.