• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best bowling actions ever

archie mac

International Coach
Out of the players I watched, it would be close between Hodling and Lillee with Paddles a close third

The old timers seem to think Ted Mcdonald and Colin Blythe had great actions:)

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Tremlett actually roughed Tendulkar up a bit in his second Test, and had him caught at leg gully for 1. :p
Probably that will be the only time he can boast of that. Now SRT is in murderous form. (I can remember Flintoff once did it to de SIlva and next innings de SIlva came out and smashed Flintoff. Now SRT is much better than de SIlva as a batsman in test matches). I haven't seen many tall bowlers dictating terms to short batsmen, because they just take the lifter out of the game of them.

Evermind

International Debutant
Can't believe Akhtar is in this thread. Who next, baseball pitchers?

For me:

Bond
Holding (so easy)
Steyn

McGrath also made it look easy, but he bored the crap out of me, for some reason.

I do think that I am partial to the newer bowlers simply because bowling action in general has gotten more economical and more streamlined - they've cut out excess movement scientifically, and I think that's a good thing. But Holding just has that ease to his action that's almost supernatural.

Imran's was decent too, Kapil's was ugly. Never liked Lillee's.

Tait, Thomson, etc are hideous.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is it just the videos I'm watching, or did Holding take a helluva a lot of his wickets by hitting the stumps?
In the match at The Oval, he took 12 of his 14 victims bowled or LBW, mostly beating them for sheer pace. It was one of the driest English summers and the wicket was a batting paradise.

The pitch had nothing in terms of movement, swing or extra bounce for the bowler, but Holding didn't need any assistance: six of his victims were bowled and two leg-before. He just kept coming back and bowling quicker and quicker, and stumps flew all over the place.
From this article.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Lots of good calls here. I would add (without pretending they're quite up there with the best)

Ambrose
Bishop
Emburey

The footage on YouTube of Duncan Spencer bowling in 1993 is pretty damned impressive too. Little guy but a powerful action and extreme pace.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Some negativity:

Lillee: a bit over-rated perhaps? Lent himself well to some superb action shots of his bowling but from the TV footage his action was much less attractive than the still shots would suggest.

Lee: springy but lacking a gather - a bowler with only half an action.

Lindwall: 15 degrees?

Walsh: horrible action.

All fine bowlers who I would pay to watch though