• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best bowling actions ever

smash84

The Tiger King
I can see Holding getting the most nods in this thread, and really I can't disagree. Lovely action (better than pasag's).
What about the guy in my avatar???? Imran's was a bowling action that inspired thousand. I thought he had the best bowling action of all........I will try and dig up a post from Bagapath where he describes Imran's action wonderfully well. Kapil had a nice action too.

Tom 1972

School Boy/Girl Captain
great descriptions so far though
Lots of actions can be very effective & wonderful.

Three factors that are worthwhile for me:
  • Whether the action supports "durability".
  • Whether the bowler takes wickets, especially top-order ones to bust open a game.
  • Whether the action supports being able to bowl wide of the crease, close to the stumps. Especially close to the stumps for a quick.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Greg Blewett had the coolest action ever.

After this ball, he walked off the field and ****ed your girlfriend.

Mike5181

International Captain
Bond- perfection
McGrath- perfection
Pollock- perfection
Vaas- perfection
Warne- Spinners around now don't compare
Lee- underrated action IMO.
Tait- everyone is interested when he is bowling. An odd action never the less.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
As a New Zealander I know I'm biased, but Hadlee's action was awesome. It was so natural, fluid and effortless. Wonderful to watch.

smash84

The Tiger King
Lots of actions can be very effective & wonderful.

Three factors that are worthwhile for me:
  • Whether the action supports "durability".
  • Whether the bowler takes wickets, especially top-order ones to bust open a game.
  • Whether the action supports being able to bowl wide of the crease, close to the stumps. Especially close to the stumps for a quick.
The coolest bowling action

Maximus0723

State Regular
What about the guy in my avatar???? Imran's was a bowling action that inspired thousand. I thought he had the best bowling action of all........I will try and dig up a post from Bagapath where he describes Imran's action wonderfully well. Kapil had a nice action too.
nah. never liked Imran's action. It just never pleased my eye for some reason. :ph34r:

Maximus0723

State Regular
No. It wasn't bait.
I love so many things about Imran but his action wasn't one of them.

May be it probably is the jump. It also the angle.

kingkallis

International Coach
Outside of already mentioned [Wasim (one of the best action if not the best), McG, Warne], I always thought Hadlee had one of the best actions. Really smooth with little strain on the body.

I don't like watching Donald, Murali, Kallis (ugliest action ever), Bond and some more.

Razzaq
If you dont like bowling action of Donald then geez, Bhupinder Singh Plaha must be your fav. when it comes to bowling actions.

salman85

International Debutant
Imran Khan and Allan Donald.

People call Holding's action hypnotic.It probably was.But Imran's was nothing short of it.It wasn't forceful like Shoaib or Tait's action.With Shoaib and especially with Tait,you can see that tons of energy is being put into the whole thing.That wasn't the case with Imran - The leaping,bounding runup and the the high jump..grace personified.I will obviously have a tinge of bias in my opinion here,and i think that's perfectly normal,but i found Imran's action very VERY smooth.It seemed effortless,kind of like Mcgrath's action.While Mcgrath had a very 180 degree action,Imran's was circular,and very pleasing to the eye.

I picked Donald because he was the first non-Pakistani fast bowler that i loved watching.The speed at which he would zoom in,and again deliver the ball after a high jump (Not as high as Imran's),was a delight to watch.To use a very schoolish description,Imran's action was cute and soothing to watch,whereas Donald was downright cool.It was like some badass hero in leather jacket and shredded jeans with a rayban was zoomin from distance to destroy all the bad guys with one flick of the arm :cool:

Last edited:

kingkallis

International Coach
I have seen very little of Holding, Lillee and Hadlee. Among them I'd say action wise they would be,

1) Holding
2) Hadlee
3) Lillee

From the players we have seen in action,

1) Donald
2) Bond
3) McGrath

smash84

The Tiger King
Wasim had a great action too. Waqar's run-up and bowling action was quite famous although I was never a big fan of his bowling action

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Waqar's run-up and bowling action was quite famous although I was never a big fan of his bowling action
Me neither. Love watching Waqar's yorkers, but his action wasn't what you could describe as 'smooth' or 'effortless'. Surely enough, his action hurt his back.