• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Battle of Cricketers - CW's Favorite Cricketer

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Vettori. Seems a genuinely good guy. If we were voting on the better player or who was more important in cricket's history I'd go with Trumper, but have a lot of time for the bespectacled kiwi. Seems to squeeze every drop of his talent for all its worth, something more obviously lavishly talented players don't always do.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
11-8 to Vettori so far. Not a bad showing from Vic given the 'he didn't play in the one-tenth of cricket history I've watched the game for, so he must be a dud' prejudice that usually comes out.
Haha what?

God forbid people choose their more favourite player as someone they watched. :-O

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
a spectacular win, 14-9 to Ernst Vettori.

Shane Bond (1975-)

87 wickets in 18 Tests for New Zealand; 82 ODIs
Perhaps New Zealand's fastest bowler ever
Injuries and ICL has limited his career to two Tests per year

Damien Martyn (1971-)

4,406 runs in 67 Tests for Australia; 208 ODIs
Technically adept batsman
Called up in 1992 as a prodigy; scored 292 runs @ 26.5 in his first Test career before being dropped for six years
Recalled in 2000 due to injuries, eventually filled the spot of Mark Waugh
Test Player of 2004, then dropped after a poor Ashes series

Last edited:

Matt79

Global Moderator
Martyn. Bond simply didnt play regularly enough to ever be more than a tease.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
11-8 to Vettori so far. Not a bad showing from Vic given the 'he didn't play in the one-tenth of cricket history I've watched the game for, so he must be a dud' prejudice that usually comes out.
I hate this thread because of this reason, this prejudice is bound to come from posters in this kind of a thread. That's why I'm almost always trying to vote for the better cricketer (unless there's Sachin involved, or when it's between two comparable cricketers), although already faced a lot of criticism from fellow posters for that.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
But there isn't a "team white" that someone supports in cricket.

Whereas there is a "team India" and "team Australia".

If you support that team, than obviously many of your great memories of the sport will be a player or two winning matches and performing really well for your team. That's often how you get favourite players, because they do awesome things for the team you supporter.

It's not the only way, and there are players I would vote for over players from India, but national bias is because THAT SPECIFIC PLAYER means a lot to you. Why do they mean a lot? Because of what they did for your team to win!
I can understand your logic, and that's one reason for which I hate this thread. My opinion is that there should be a certain limit to which one can vote for one's favorite. It also explains why this thread is dominated by current/recently retired cricketers (for example, take the Vettori-Trumper battle). As a member of CW (and a proud one), I hate to see mediocre players coming among CW's 'favorite' cricketers. Yes, when it comes down to two comparable players (like Waqar-Ambrose), one should certainly vote for their favorite.

I don't know whether you're getting my point, my I hate to see people from certain cricketing nations and a specific time-period dominating this thread.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Na bugger off the most talented players don't necessarily qualify as a favourite, the players attitude and the way they hold themselves on and off the field counts for a lot too.

I'd vote for the likes of Sangakkara, Vettori and O'Brien over almost anyone, because off the pitch they are just so likable.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I'd vote for the likes of Sangakkara, Vettori and O'Brien over almost anyone, because off the pitch they are just so likable.
And I'll definitely vote for at least 15 other spin bowlers over Vettori, because I give a **** to how the most over-rated spinner of all-time behaves off the field. My uncle behaves better than Vettori off the field.

Yeah, I can understand when it's between Sachin and Lara, or between Waqar and Ambrose, or between Warne and Grimmett, or Hadlee and Lillee (or Hutton and Gavaskar) people might vote on the basis of so many things...But not when it's between Vettori and Bradman, or between Devang Gandhi and Garfield Sobers, please. I hate to see CW members making a joke of themselves. My experience here says that they are better than that.

Last edited: